5.0 out of 5 stars Love these books.
Published 21 months ago by Aurora

3.0 out of 5 stars Confusing!
I have read Steve's first two books featuring Jefferson Tayte and throughly enjoyed them and could not wait for the third one. I must say that I was disappointed in it, I found it confusing and hard to follow the Queen's family line and even now I am not sure who was who. Please write another book but stick to 'normal' family history which I am really interested in. The...
Published on 19 Dec. 2012 by Win

5.0 out of 5 stars Love these books., 9 Aug. 2013
Aurora (Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This is my favourite of the Jefferson Tayte books - so far. I liked the skilful way Steve Robinson has mixed fact and fiction, raising questions about the accepted facts of history. Did things happen the way we have always been taught that they did, and were other people at the time aware of a conspiracy which they didn't have the scientific knowledge to prove? What if they left clues for future generations to follow up when that science was available. In some ways it could be described as a bit far-fetched as, in the immortal words of an American Politician - we don't know what we don't know - but in other ways it could be a statement of faith in the future.
One of the things I liked about this book was the way in which the author presented people and events with just enough ambiguity to make us wonder if the people we think of as the good guys, really are the good guys or do they have an ulterior, and sinister, motive? As the book repeats several times - nullius in verba - take no-one's word for it.
I like the combination of genealogy and detective fiction, it works very well - after all what is genealogy but a different form of detective work? Please hurry up and write another one Mr Robinson.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dan Brown.....you have serious competition!, 10 Feb. 2013
Well what a truly gripping read this was from start to finish. I have read Steve's other two books involving the mystery busting legend that Jefferson Tatyte has become but you do not have to have done to fully enjoy all the twists and turns that this book takes. Warning! It is one of those books that you will not be able to put down until you have finished it! I like the introduction of a rival, I'm sure we will be seeing more of Michel Levant. Towards the end of the book things start to connect back to earlier events in the book but you are kept on tenterhooks until the end, and what and ending and cliffhanger! Can't wait for the next instalment. Brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vivid and compelling, 24 Feb. 2013
Brilliant, The Last Queen of England is an intelligently written book . Fast paced ,it keeps the reader on the edge of their seat as though watching a movie .The characters come to life so vividly ,the story line intrigued me from the first to last page .The Last Queen of England is portrayed in a way that makes you think ! Enjoyed the plot ,exciting, a brilliant mix of fact and fiction. A book i could not put down as with the previous books by Steve Robinson ,he is up there with the best! He has the flair to make the reader feel and visualize the places the characters are in so well. I am now looking forward to his next book ,i need to know what happens next in Jefferson Tates life . Steve Robinson is such an engaging author . Encore!Encore!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely loved it, 17 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Last Queen of England (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery) (Kindle Edition)
I have read the first two of this author's books and really enjoyed them but this one was clearly the best in my opinion. It was extremely well written and there were very interesting characters. The plot kept me guessing until the end and still wanting more. It was a fantastic subject and the amount of research on this must have been huge. Well done Steve - really looking forward to the next one now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Indiana Jones as an heir hunter?, 15 April 2015
This story is based around an overweight somewhat insecure genealogist who manages to get himself involved unwittingly in murder and mayhem. JT has arranged to meet an old colleague in London, and during the conversation he realises that he is being "set up" with a prospective date Prof Jean Summer. The description of their mutual embarrassment is beautifully handled, showing that Robinson can deal with historical detail, action-man antics and genuine emotion. When Marcus Brown is gunned down as they leave the restaurant he leaves JT with a mystery to solve which leads him and Jean, a history professor, to research the House of Stuart as someone seems to think they have a claim to the British throne. Michael Levant, an heir hunter, appears to know something about the hunt but JT doesn't trust his motives, and gradually the reason for this mistrust is developed. The characters of JT and Jean evolve as the hunt proceeds and it looks as though this pairing will work professionally and personally in following stories.
As with any "What If" novel the reader is required to accept an unlikely premise for the action, but once you are prepared to work with the concept of secret messages left by some of the original members of the Royal Society; the "real reasons" behind the accession of George 1st rather than a member of the Stuart line, and a frantic "heir hunt" to track down descendants of those entrusted with the secret, you have an intelligent, well researched, action-packed story that moves apace. I'm looking forward to reading more in this series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!!, 9 April 2013
A slightly different genre with this one from the first two as it delves into royal history and conspiracy theories and also plausible if you use your imagination. But............... Tayte, your gonna have to stop eating all those miniature Hershey's and get some weight off with all that running around you are doing!!!! Great read with a real cliff-hanger ending. Can't wait until the sequel comes out.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great idea and plot, but weak characterisation, 9 April 2015
stripeyunited - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I took a chance on this, and I'm glad I did.

It's definitely a page-turner, and grabs your interest with a really interesting "what if..." premise, as well as a great alternative to conventional detective work.

There is plenty of action, generally with a payoff which drives the story forward in some way.

The characterisation was definitely not a strong point of the book for me. I felt the majority of the characters were not well drawn but are rather one-dimensional and just there as grist for the story mill - which recalls John Grisham's work, to my mind. As a result, I didn't feel I got to know any of the characters particularly well, and some of them were such stereotypical cyphers I really couldn't give a hoot what happened to them - I tend to prefer to actually care enough about the characters to engage with their story arcs. The best written character in this was DI Fable, although I began to warm to JT himself by the end. I also found some of the resourcefulness displayed by JT and is main sidekick in the story rather implausible. With JT that may be explained by the preceding novels, but not the side kick, I suspect.

The story zips along with loads of energy, and there is a feeling of authenticity about the settings JT encounters as he zig-zags across London. It maybe seems strange given what I've said above, but I'm giving this 4 stars (3.5 rounded up, actually) as its supremely entertaining, and I will be happy to read the other books in this series.

5.0 out of 5 stars If this theory was true the repercussions would be endless!, 12 April 2015
Kindlelover (East Sussex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
What a fascinating tale, my goodness if this theory was true what a difference it would make to our history! This story was told in a tantalising way, all the way through I wondered where it would lead, after all if this idea could be proved the repercussions would be endless.

So Jefferson does his research into a mystery whilst many dangerous people are trying to stop him and the action is often very fast paced. There is an interesting blend of history and fiction (although we are treated to a history lesson here of a fascinating period of England's royal family). I found myself bookmarking many pages and highlighting many passages that I intend to reread.

Jefferson's own story, researching his mysterious past, is woven into the plot. His personal life seems to be developing in an interesting direction. There are a few loose ends which I believe are designed to be followed up in future books which have left me with a tantalising need to continue to read more of Steve Robinson. I sincerely hope there will be many books to follow in this serious. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best, 20 July 2013
Tautly written with good characters and any twists. The thing that impressed is that this is number three in the series and it's getting stronger - often series can deplete.
Highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 19 July 2013
This book kept me hooked from beginning to end in the same way that Steve Robinson's previous two books did. I am looking forward to his next creation!