5.0 out of 5 stars Compulsive viewing
Published 3 months ago by John A. Stedman

2.0 out of 5 stars Two of a Kind
If you have seen 'The Bridge', you have seen 'The Tunnel'. Same story, different locations but with the same dreary atmosphere. How do they manage to make places look so grim and uninviting. My criticism of both films is the same: an eight hour series that could have been told as a single feature length film in about two hours.
Published 5 months ago by Camerafour

5.0 out of 5 stars Compulsive viewing, 26 Aug 2014
John A. Stedman (Rye UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Tunnel [DVD] (DVD)
I am always apprehensive of any production that is longer than 3 hours - have they padded it out or does the story really need that amount of time to be told (bearing in mind that a Hollywood feature rarely exceeds a couple of hours)? Do I have enough life left to enable me to watch it through? Some have compared this to The Bridge, and that was longer than 20 hours; The Tunnel comes in at just over 10 hours to tell a very similar story.

The first episode I found interesting, not only for the story which starts in very simple fashion, but also because it is set in an area with which I am very familiar - the Tunnel refers to the Channel Tunnel, and the drama is set in and around Folkestone, Dover and other parts of Kent, together with a similar area of France within the proximity of Calais. There is plenty of location footage, some of which is not too complimentary to the Folkestone and Hythe area as it concentrates on the seedier aspects.

The second episode we found slow in developing and started to lose interest, until the story starts to gain pace at the end. From that point onwards it becomes compelling viewing, very much on the lines of Broadchurch. Not only are you left with trying to work out who did it, but what are they going to do next.

We then watched the remaining episodes in one afternoon - they became so compulsive that we couldn't put it down. Highly satisfying, simple and yet complex in that we had to watch some parts again to make sure we understood what was going on.

Drama as it should be - gets you interested and then drips just enough information to leave you clinging on for the next bit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great story, 18 Dec 2013
Steven - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Tunnel [DVD] (DVD)
This is a fine tale and well told. The acting is spot on and the Anglo French aspect allows for some engaging twists as well as a bit of humour. I thought both the lead actors did a cracking job in their respective roles, Poesy plays her part at just the right side of distant whilst I found Dillane instantly likeable. I wasn't as keen on the journalist - his scripting, motivation wise, seemed a bit off at times but it was a very small gripe in an otherwise excellent series. I looked forward to each episode with a real sense of glee and it has been a spring board towards the original material (on order for Christmas) and I hope to catch the American/Mexican remake when it arrives at our shores.

Have you seen how many troll reviewers there are for this thing? Do they really expect us to believe they didn't know it was a re-imagined version of The Bridge - BBC Series 1 [DVD]

5.0 out of 5 stars not too dark thriller.., 12 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Tunnel [DVD] (DVD)
Suspense, mind teasing, definitely a superb thriller with an excellent cast, would certainly recommend this DVD. Excellent and the
little touches of humour at times lighten the whole.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comparison with The Bridge, 22 Mar 2014
C. Clark "The Makem" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Tunnel [DVD] (DVD)
I have seen reviews of this series comparing it with the original, ie The Bridge. The comments, I think, are unfair. I too started to watch this with apprehension. It was made clear from the start as far as I could see, that it was a remake of the earlier series, The Bridge was/is brilliant. This, The Tunnel, did not let me down. OK, it was a copy, but, so what? All I can say is I watched, I knew what was going to happen and guess what, I enjoyed it. It was different enough to make it, well, different. The acting was good, it was interesting to see a different take on the initial series and the fact that I'd seen the original series had no impact on my enjoyment. I recommend that you watch it. I have the Bridge, 1 and 2, and The Tunnel will be joining them on the shelf. Great stuff. Thank you BBC4.

4.0 out of 5 stars 80% Brilliance, 22 Nov 2014
This review is from: The Tunnel [DVD] (DVD)
Absolutely brilliant and very cleverly done for the first 8 episodes then oh dear, some of the plots in the last 2 episodes were not believable and I felt let down after the brilliant 1st 80%. Still worth watching +++

5.0 out of 5 stars Judge this brilliant drama as a standalone, 10 Dec 2013
THEWHITLAM (leafy Clapham) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Tunnel [DVD] (DVD)
There is no point comparing one work of art with another . I haven't seen The Bridge but I'm looking forward to it! This drama is fabulous on every level: it's a fully bilingual effort, which enables us to get to grips with some French . Even if you can't understand French, you've got subtitles (which we Scandi fans are used to anyway lol) but if you do have some french, this highlights the awkward interplay between Englsih and french detectives, a central tenet to the drama.
The acting by Spillane and Poesy is awesome: they start as diametrically opposed characters in every sense: Poesy plays a very stiff, alienated character, whereas Spillane oozes friendliness. Later on in the series one begins to realise how much they actually have in common. This 'love 'plot is smouldering deep deep beneath the surface.
The plot twists and turns as various suspects come and go. The filming of the torture and death of various victims holds no punches and it is often unsettling viewing but hey, why would you watch this if you weren't hooked on stupendous crime fiction?

on the tv we are within two episodes of the ending of the series and I look forward impatiently to each episode . I know that I would watch this again and again and Clemence Poesy is only one reason why.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, intense series, 9 Nov 2014
This review is from: The Tunnel [DVD] (DVD)
Great, intense series. Well filmed with superb characters that are credible with believable culture references and idiosyncrasies that are not stereotyped (we are a French/Brit household). We enjoyed the double language approach which worked well but shouldn't alienate non French speakers. Very atmospheric. Strong sub plots, character and storyline development. Not for the fainthearted!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping drama, 3 Mar 2014
Mrs (Colwich, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Tunnel [DVD] (DVD)
Excellent drama, very suspenseful and exciting. The subtitles do not detract at all from watching, as it is so gripping.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ignore the "sensationalist" 1 star reviews - This is very good, 3 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Tunnel [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
First off let me be clear, overall the Bridge, (the Nordic series upon which this is based), was the better series, but those giving it 1 star reviews and saying it is a direct "word for word" copy have obviously not watched the whole series because, as several reviewers that have given higher ratings have pointed out, there are significant differences. This series was well written with a very good cast giving excellent performances. I enjoyed watching The Bridge and found this almost equally gripping, to give it just one star because it is based on another programme is to ignore the true worth and quality of the series, don't be put off, The Tunnel is well worth watching.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inherits the initially slow pace from the Scandinavian original, ..., 12 Aug 2014
Dennis Watts "dennis10825" (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Tunnel [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Inherits the initially slow pace from the Scandinavian original, but give it a chance and it makes for an intriguing story, well worth a watch.

The Tunnel [DVD]
The Tunnel [DVD] by Dominik Moll (DVD - 2014)