5.0 out of 5 stars Vinyl Rarities
Well they are not all rare, they just did not make the chart.
great to have them sounding smooth although some were recorded in stereo, this is how the 45 was issued.
Published 7 months ago by P. Yates

3.0 out of 5 stars RIP R&R
I started work in 1960, so had 'disposable' income to spend on birds, booze and baccy, but I wasted much of it on records, 45s and the odd EP (four tracks, pic sleeve, about 10/6d - 52.5p - per). LPs were something to be saved for, at which I was not very good. This set was acquired to remind me of those carefree times...

Each CD represents a year of misses,...
Published 7 months ago by Tony Martin

3.0 out of 5 stars RIP R&R, 27 Nov 2013

Each CD represents a year of misses, sometimes by notable hit makers, US and UK, others shouldn't have wasted studio time. So, 1960 and The Four Preps? I had "More Money For You & Me"; I bought Sanford Clark; The Platters I was well aware of, as with Conway Twitty (oh how we chortled over his name); Ray Charles would enter my orbit later, as with James Brown. I knew virtually all the other names on offer, but they were mainly vapid teen schlock to my discerning ear. What had happened to r&r? Where was the visceral guitar break, the searing tenor sax, the gutsy vocal? All neutered by Big Business, that's what. So I had to amend my buying and listening habits and become familiar with the term 'back catalogue'.

1961 was better. Curtis Lee good pop, I bought Bobby Lewis (fine pop rocker), Faron Young, The Crickets, Paul Revere & Raiders (great instro, great vocal flip, "Sharon"), Maurice Williams, Freddy Cannon (top pop r&r, tho I still can't get a handle on the lyrics), Mar-Keys, Solomon Burke (I started with "Down In The Valley"), but missed the the excellent Ral Donner thru ignorance of availability. One or two others I would pick up later.

To 1962 and one or two more choice picks. The Sensations (to add to the previous "Music, Music, Music"), Dion (earthy white r&b doo-wop mix) and you can forgive any compilation a lot for including Ray Stevens' goofy "Ahab The Arab" (utterly non-PC in this day and age). I had a couple more by some of the artists, including "Sweet Little Sixteen" by Michael Cox, mainly for the guitar break - that's how desperate I was! (For the same reason, I bought "Hound Dog Man" by Fabian! Forgive me, I know I sinned).

The set did its job, reminded me of far less responsible time, the weekly visit to the record shop, the smell of vinyl, NME, Disc, Joke Box Jury...ooh, I've come over all nostalgic. I might have damned with faint praise, but I like to think of myself as an oddball record buyer of the period, not particularly interested in 'pop' music - tho I bought many a 'pop' record. This will be brought out from time to time, I'll play a few faves and wonder again at the singular lack of appeal - for me! - of so many. (PS: nice packaging, label shots, nuggets of info per track).

5.0 out of 5 stars Vinyl Rarities, 21 Dec 2013
P. Yates "Mr. Moaner" (England) - See all my reviews
Well they are not all rare, they just did not make the chart.

5.0 out of 5 stars The music of my youth, 2 Mar 2014
When people talk about the music of the 60s, pretty much they mean what was in the hit parade of the time and that's fair enough. But this collection illustrates the tracks that were around at the same time and for whatever reason didn't quite make the giddy heights.

Doesn't stop it from being good music though and there's plenty of illustration here of what we all missed out on by listening to and reading only aboutt the top 20 or top 30 of the week.

It's like being back in the day and listening to the music for the first time, all over again!

5.0 out of 5 stars The title says it all, 19 Feb 2014
Indeed, the title does say it all. I have got a few of these tracks on other cd`s but there are an awful lot I haven`t and a few I had never heard before. Recommended to anyone who likes the "Old Music" 5 stars well worth it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Forgotten - almost totally!, 21 Jan 2014
Interesting for its rarity value. I am normally well on top of pop music from the early '60s, but most of these were new to me - perhaps that's why they are forgotten?

4.0 out of 5 stars 'MANY REMINDERS OF YESTERDAY ON-BOARD', 21 Nov 2013
rbmusicman (U.K) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This 3-CD compilation comes up with many familiar names from yester-year
such as ..'The Drifters'...'Bobby Darin'...'Connie Francis'...'Fats Domino'
among them, along with many quite honestly I'm not so familiar with.
Many of the numbers on-board were to my mind, what we used to look upon as
fringe tracks, few of which impacted on the U.K top 30.
Back then I myself religiously listened to the 'Top 20' show on 'Radio
Luxembourg' every sunday night, I also purchased 'The New Musical Express'
every week (pretty sure that was the name of the weekly ?) which featured
the current Top 20 chart listings in the UK along with the best selling LP
listings and the current 'U.S' Top selling chart, it also previewed forthcoming
releases from many of the leading artists of the day....pretty interesting stuff
at the time.....for me, kept me up to date with the desirable music of that time.
I'm sure that many of you will have done the same back then.
Back in the early sixties there were so many keenly followed artists, many numbers
such that appears on board this compilation probably didn't even get air-space
on the radio shows at the time.
Many of the songs included almost certainly deserved to chart in the UK but fell
short.
On disc one, the reason for my purchase appears on the play-list, many of us, myself
included have down the years made it a labour-of-love trying to duplicate our
cherished 'Vinyl' collection onto CD, though many titles were difficult to find, in
the main I've probably found around 98% (pretty close to finding all...if but
eventually) I'd all but given-up looking, yet it did chart in the U.S. ....thanks
to this compilation....I now have it...the number 'The Ivy Three's'..,'Yogi' (I do
own the 45') back then I probably bought it for the song...'Was Judy There'
Another number of interest which I remember being a romantic favourite of years
gone by for me, is...'Johnny Mathis'...'The Twelfth Of Never' (I first discovered
the song on an LP compilation I bought during the early 70's) yet, the song itself
charted for both 'Cliff' and later again for 'Donny Osmond' (Still think 'Johnny
Mathis's version was the best)
With numbers from many well known artists like...'Johnny Burnette'...'The Coasters'
'Jim Reeves'...'Roy Orbison'...'Tommy Steele'...'Johnny Caah'...'Frank Ifield'...
'Alma Cogan'...and...'The Crickets' also among the featured artists, stars of
yesterday....when playing the three CD's I myself recognised many numbers I knew
from back then, it may just hold a memory or two for you ? ...worth visiting ?

5.0 out of 5 stars Memories!, 8 May 2014
Not certain if all tracks were 60-62, but a great compilation of 45s that I can not fit onto my jukebox. Best to listen on your own with volume on max. Yes let's see similar CDs for later periods of the 60s.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for money, 14 Mar 2014
Timothy Kingston "Topkat" (Hobart Tasmania Australia) - See all my reviews
Good collection. Well researched and good liner notes in a unique pull out folder, that is built into the cardboard case. I have the second volume in the series also and that is I think some better tracks. But all the tracks are great and it is fascinating to see where they tracked out here in Australia.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 10 Dec 2013
Jean Toll (Crawley, West Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
I was very disappointed with this CD. It did not live up to its description.
I bought four of this type of CD but will not be buying any more of the same

The Forgotten 45s: 1960-1962