5.0 out of 5 stars Do Me A Tape
I'm slightly in love with the whole concept of the Late Night Tales, Another Late Night, et al compilation series. Take some great artists in their own right and being on friendly terms with them, you ask them to do you a tape of their favourite music and or influences. If they really like you, they offer to do you the tape in the first place!

In the eighties...
Published 3 months ago by Merlin Beard

2.0 out of 5 stars Was wrong
I thought it was new material. It was my fault, maybe I didn't read well the description! Nevertheless, I've found it boring. Sorry guys! ;-)
Published 20 months ago by Toni

5.0 out of 5 stars Do Me A Tape, 3 April 2014

In the eighties especially, my school friends and I would regularly make each other compilations. It involved sitting lovingly in front of hi fi, with your headphones on (so as not to disturb your parents whilst they watched Dempsey and Makepeace) and painstakingly putting together 90 minutes of music together. It was essential that you nailed the running order and God forbid that you cut off a song at the end of a side, because the tape had spooled out. To receive such a tape meant something. You meant something to the person who'd made it for you. You knew upon receiving it, the amount of time, love and effort that had gone into this thing, made especially for you. I discovered some wonderful music from these compilations and in return tried to pay it forward.

I thought those days were gone. Now, it's possible to put a compilation together in a matter of minutes with a huge running order at that. Late Night Tales and its compatriots relive some of the magic though. There's love and thought in these albums and many of them have given me a nostalgic squeeze. Friendly Fires' effort is no exception. A beautiful selection of tracks, many of which I'd never heard before and some real diversity on display. If nothing else, buy it for their cover of 'Why Don't You Answer?' It's probably because the person that you're trying to contact is too submerged in this!

5.0 out of 5 stars Friendly Fires - great listening, 5 Dec 2012
Wished, however, that the entire Cumberbatch reading was on one CD for continuous listening -- that's the only improvement. I particularly appreciate that the songs flow from one to the other. Great for dance exercise, too!

5.0 out of 5 stars not one dud track, 18 Nov 2012
Best one in series so far, perfectly judged mix. House, indie, disco, and easy listening in a gorgeous mix. Love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A few more late nights for me!, 18 May 2013
Mr. D. J. Underwood "Excessional" (Lincolnshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This is about the fifth of these Late Night Tales comp series that I now have and frankly, it's the best of them. The idea, before you run out thinking it's the latest album by your favourite group, is to get an artist/group, usually from a clubby background to put together a mix tape (remember them?) often throwing in some obscure tunes. This selection, chosen by Friendly Fires, is a real winner for me starting off with some disco tunes and dance up to their own cover of "Why Don't You Answer?" then the beats start to slow down and towards the end there are a few "shoe-gazing" selections which is what had sold it for me originally. It all segues together beautifully too, and at the end is the first part of a story narrated by Benedict Cumberbatch - to read you to sleep perhaps :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 4 Feb 2013
Following in the tradition of the Late night Tales - I love the obscure tracks and the mix with the more well known artists but always the high class of music skill in both the mixing to keep within an overall theme but also the talent incorporated.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just great, 2 Jan 2013
Like the feeling. Seemingly different music together as a whole, and it works. Story, read by B.Cumberbatch stops credibly and ambiguously. I`d like to hear or read the full story.

2.0 out of 5 stars Was wrong, 3 Dec 2012