on 19 November 2014
I bought this as a present for my brother while it was half price (£49.99). I myself have a bose soundlink mini, so I couldn't resist testing them against each other. The results were surprising! I was expecting the bose to be much, much better, but it really wasn't.

Don't get me wrong, the bose is better, but by £120? No chance. The flip 2 is louder overall, and the bass is great, although not as good as the bose. The bose will give you a better, warmer, fuller sound overall, but it's only marginally better than the flip 2. If I didn't get the bose as a present, I would have purchased the flip 2, much, much better value for money.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I bought one of these - in white - to use on extended business trips where I often end up working alone in a hotel room and find that instrumental music is a valuable aid to concentration. (A neurologist could probably explain how that works in terms of engaging different areas of the brain, but I find anything with words has the opposite effect and draws me in to listening to the words at the expense of what I'm trying to write.) This speaker is the size of a beer can, weighs a little less at about 400g including its travel case, and charges through a micro-USB cable from an adapter most people, including me, will already be travelling with. (The exceptions can use the neat wall charger that comes in the box.) There will be few trips on which I'm travelling so light that there won't be room for this.

I bought mine at a big-shed retailer where several brands' competing speakers were laid out on demonstration stands. While there's a limit to what you can learn without playing the same track through everything, at least I wasn't forced to buy sound-unheard. I'll refer to the options I rejected as I discuss aspects of the Flip 2's performance.

And perform it does! Not to show off but to put this in context, I love my music, and have some serious gear at home - probably five thousand's worth - to play it on. The Flip 2, of course, doesn't equal that, but nor could I pack the home system into a bag for a trip. But within the limits imposed by its size and price, this little speaker is simply astonishing.
Reviews these days always seem to focus on 'bass' but this generally seems to put quantity above quality. One similar speaker I listened to was the Beats Pill, and while the sound from this was certainly more focused on the low end, it offered no hint of musical definition or even what notes the bass was playing, just a muddy drone that made the whole performance unlistenable. Awful. More disappointing was the UE Mini Boom - similarly small but a box rather than a cylinder - which has been highly praised by some reviewers. It was almost as bad as the Pill in terms of the way it tried to boost the bass, and with no additional clarity in the higher registers, so it simply didn't sound musical.
(Even more disappointing was the larger and more expensive UE Boom, which didn't work at all in either of two branches I visited.)
Better by far than any of these was the Bose Soundlink Mini, but this is a hefty box that requires an outboard charger and is twice the price I paid for the Flip 2. And Sony had four offerings on show, but the smallest sounded tinny and to get an acceptable sound meant spending more and accepting too much bulk.

The Flip 2 has none of these problems. Auditioning in the store, I was impressed that it offered usefully more quantity and quality than the tiny (and still impressive for its size and price) JBL Clip, and seemed to be at least the equal of JBL's own, bigger and more expensive Charge. That - and the offer of a 14-day returns policy - was enough to persuade me to take a Flip 2 home.

But since then I've gone from pleased to delighted. I've spend most of today working and listening, with the Flip 2 about five feet from me and laid horizontally, feeding it with streamed music from Cloudplayer and Pure Music. Solo piano (Brendel playing Beethoven) is wonderfully convincing, with a clear idea of what the left hand is doing and all the intricate internal rhythms intact. Chamber strings (Mendelssohn) sound natural and balanced, without hardness or screechiness. Best of all was a full orchestra - an old recording of Dukas's The Sorceror's Apprentice - where all the instrumental timbres were present and correct, and even the growling basses sounded properly woody. I'm sure I wasn't hearing the sub-100Hz fundamental frequencies - a speaker this small can't physically move that much air - but enough of the harmonics were there for my brain to complete the illusion.

What there isn't, of course, is any imaging or soundstage to speak of, nor can JBL match UE's party trick of linking two speakers through an app into a stereo pair. But it's so damn musical and just RIGHT that that - in the context of my travel requirements - simply doesn't matter.

I should say that I've done all my listening at well below halfway on the volume scale. The Flip 2 will go much louder but I doubt I'll often ask it to - except perhaps to overcome background noise if I use in a holiday-home kitchen. In a hotel room, to use much more of its capacity would be plain antisocial, and in any case I simply don't need it any louder - it sounds just right as it is, which probably indicates than JBL has done a good job with the internal amplification; there's more to a powerful amplifier than sheer volume.
In fact, volume is where the Flip 2 scores its only penalty point: the minimum setting - one more click mutes it completely - is still louder than I'd like for listening to BBC iPlayer speech radio programmes in bed. I suppose I could muffle it with a sock - or just use the iPhone speakers instead - but a little more fine control would be useful here.

So that's how the Flip 2 has the music covered. It can also act as a speakerphone, a function I'll probably make use of but haven't so far.

If you've read this far, you'll realize I'm hugely impressed by this little device. If you're buying online, do so with confidence but
(a) consider your colour carefully: the primary colours look like toys from Early Learning Centre; white and black do justice to the fine design and construction of this speaker;
and (b) make sure you're buying a Flip 2; the original Flip should be cheap now but it requires an outboard charger, not the neat USB charging this one has, and that hurts its practicality for the traveller.

Otherwise, I really can't speak too highly of this product. I try to hold back fifth stars for things that really have the power to delight, not merely satisfy - and this does exactly that.
on 19 September 2014
A great great speaker! For the price, you just can't go wrong!

It's a little smaller that I expected, it just a bit taller than the iPhone 5 on a stand when it's vertical. That also means it's very portable. And it's also very well built. It feels sturdy.

But the volume, oh my god, it's impressing for a speaker this small! It's ridiculous how this is so loud! I just can't understand where it gets it's the "lugns" to accomplish that.

Looks great in white and I think it would look even better in black / silver, I wouldn't go with the childish colors though...

Battery life, yes 3-4 hours when it's loud but who cares, it's not like you're going to through a party with it and besides it has USB cable charging too so that's very convenient.

I got it for £50 and I have to say that I probably wouldn't have bought it at £100 since that was too much for me but this was a great deal. Better sound than that Beats Pill yet affordable as a Philips SoundShooter. What more can you ask for?
on 15 November 2014
Nice and loud for a small speaker.Bluetooth tends to drop out now and again which is why it's getting only four stars instead of five.
I had in the backseat of the car on a long journey and boy was it loud. I had it on in an open planned lounge and I could clearly hear it upstairs.At one stage I was told by my wife to turn it down and she likes her music loud!!
Bass line is good,easy to set.Laptop,Android phones etc now paired to it.
Would I buy it again.... yes, and it was half price!
on 18 November 2014
I saw this had good reviews but really this unit is outstanding. Sound is clear, noise free, sharp and strong. I'm gob-smacked that such a small unit could deliver such good sound. On top of that the unit breathes quality, nicely finished, nice to hold with a very nice case. My best purchase from Amazon for a long time.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I spent hours trying to find a speaker for my living room that was both loud, wireless and not an eyesore.

In the end, I bought the JBL Flip 2, thinking I was compromising on appearance - I was wrong.

The Flip's sound quality is incredible. It's crisp, clear and handles the whole range of frequencies, as well as sounding great whether it's on quietly in the background or blaring out a heavy metal track.

A couple times I thought the speaker was cracking/fuzzing. Then I played the songs on my laptop and realised they were bad recordings. I have never before owned a speaker that was so good that it showed up professional recordings.

I find a lot of speakers ugly, however being the size of a beer can, the JBL could look like the back end of a bus and it wouldn't matter. As it happens, the design is smart and tidy. Because it's such a handy size, the JBL is small enough to put virtually anywhere in my flat.

A superb purchase and infinitely better quality that the House of Marley Get Together Bluetooth Speaker that I tried first.
on 1 March 2015
I've owned a lot of bluetooth speakers and docks over the years, and this one is by far the best I've encountered. Don't be deceived by the small size - as soon as you pair it with your MP3 player or phone you'll wonder how something so dainty is capable of producing so much power. But the thing that really impressed me was the quality of the sound, rather than just the volume. The bass notes are crisp and the separation of the istruments is clear, adequetly filling the space around it.

Set-up is easy: mine arrived charged, which was a great bonus as I got to try it out as soon as I took it out of the box. On the top of the sleek, minimalist design are four buttons. Push the centre one to turn the speaker on, then press the bluetooth button and you'll hear a beeping tone, now you need to look at your chosen device's Bluetooth menu and wait for it to 'find' the speaker (it'll be identified as, unsurprisingly, "JBL Flip"), then just pair your device with the speaker and you're ready to go.

(A quick note for Bluetooth speaker novices: you only need to pair it once, unless you decide to unpair it of course.)

It also features volume buttons, and its design means it can either be stood up on one end so that it sits at a rather cool angle, or lengthways - and yes, each one will give a slightly different sound as your music or podcast etc. will hit you at a slightly different angle.

Comes complete with a micro USB charger so you can charge it via your computer, plus a plug adaptor for charging from the mains. Best of all is the shiny plastic zip-up case - ideal for keeping the speaker in shape when you're travelling (this also has JBL embossed on its surface for even smarter looks). My fully-charged battery lasted just over four hours when I played music continuously at maximum volume.
on 23 June 2015
Bought as a present for someone who had just got Spotify. Linked easily to an iPad 3 via Bluetooth with good range - can maintain a connection a couple of rooms away. Charge lasts several hours and the matching red charger and mini USB lead avoids this one getting mixed up with all the other chargers for things. Good clear sound with plenty of bass for such a small unit. Can be controlled either from the tablet or from the soft push buttons on the top of the unit, which provide on/off and volume +/-. Has to rate as one of my most successful presents.
on 21 September 2014
I bought this solely on the basis of the reviews featured here on Amazon and the fact that it was recommended as a 'best buy' in the latest Which? magazine - I needed a Bluetooth speaker to take on a 'plane later today and so having only read about it yesterday didn't have time to order on-line. Thankfully my local 'shed electrical retailer' had stock and I was able to pick one up yesterday afternoon for the same as the best on-line price.

It's brilliant. Simple as that. It sounds way, way better than some much more expensive models - notably Dr Dre Pill - and for far less money. It's stylish and it just worked out of the box - I haven't actually opened the instructions. On my iPhone 4S there's oodles of volume. Bass response at around 100Hz is not bad at all and overall it's a nice 'clean' noise - the best I've heard in its class.

Highly recommended!
on 5 November 2014
Superb!!! I got this from the world of Amazon for the fantastic price of £49.99.

At this price it is easily pound for pound the best bluetooth speaker out there.

1) Great build quality.
2) Well Packaged.
3) Matching cables (white)
4) Sturdy protective case - much better then the neoprene one supplied with the Flip1.
5) Massive sound for it's size Could do with more stereo separation but for a speaker this small you can't expect everything.
6) Hardly any distortion if any as max volume.
7) Bluetooth connection is rock solid and connect to my Note 4 lightning quick.
8) One of the main reasons for the upgrade from the Flip 1 to the Flip 2 was for the USB charging facility. It's a very welcome addition and so much more flexible.
9) Battery status lights are also another welcome addition.
10) You also have the obligatory AUX in which will of course allow the battery to last that much longer.

I can't really add much more then that, other then read the many other reviews left by my fellow amazonians as proof to how great this brill little speaker is.

Hope these words of "wisdom" help and happy shopping :O)