5.0 out of 5 stars High performance, professional, future proof router !
This is an excellent router, in fact I would say it is currently the best on the market.

First let me clear up any confusion and confirm that it is fully compatible with any broadband connection: ADSL, Fibre, Cable...

Published 1 month ago by Rick

2.0 out of 5 stars Fast but flawed
Published 27 days ago by J. Porter

5.0 out of 5 stars High performance, professional, future proof router !, 20 July 2014
This review is from: Asus RT-AC68U Wireless Broadband Router (Accessory)

That said, it is a wireless router only, therefore with which ever broadband connection you have, you will always need a modem. The (main) internet connection input uses a gigabit ethernet port, so you would need a modem which connects via ethernet AS WELL as this unit. Here are my recommendations to do this;

ADSL / ADSL2+ (TalkTalk, Sky, Plusnet, BT, EE, Primus, etc) :

TP-Link TD-8616 Modem: http://amzn.to/1msigtF
DrayTek Vigor 120 Modem: http://amzn.to/1jM5lIk
Any ISP supplied modem/router by ideally using a modem only mode if available or turning off any routing/wireless/firewall functions and connecting one of the LAN ports to the WAN port on the RT-AC68U.

Fibre 38 Mbps / 80 Mbps (FTTC, TalkTalk Fibre, Sky Fibre, Plusnet Fibre, BT Infinity, EE Fibre, Primus Fibre, etc) :

Ask BT Openreach to leave you a standard VDSL modem when they come to activate your line, or again, you can use any ISP supplied modem/router by ideally using a modem only mode if available or turning off any routing/wireless/firewall functions and connecting one of the LAN ports to the WAN port on the RT-AC68U.

Cable (Virgin Media) :

Switch the "Super Hub" to modem only mode, and connect the LAN port to the WAN port of the RT-AC68U.

Once connected to your modem, set up and connection works flawlessly. Asus seem to get bad press for updating their firmware for some reason? I see this a good thing as their development team are working to improve their products, unlike Netgear which release a product and never intend listening to customers and improving on it. The first thing you should do is check for updated firmware. Type (usually) 192.168.1.1 in your web browser, log in, click Administration -> Firmware Upgrade tab -> Check. Upgrade if necessary. More details can be found on the website here: http://www.asus.com/Networking/RTAC68U/HelpDesk_Download/

Obviously to make the very best use out of this router, you would want a wireless AC compatible device (although it works well with wireless N - which is basically the minimum in everything now.

Its simple to upgrade most laptops (HP's are an exception!) to wireless AC providing you get the correct size adaptor:

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 Laptop Network Card (Full Height) : http://amzn.to/1pcdvMy

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 Laptop Network Card (Half Height) : http://amzn.to/1q3pU1c

Out of the box, without tweaking any settings, my laptop connects at 867 Mbps while sat within 6 feet of the router (this is the maximum speed attainable (2 channels) on 5 Ghz with the Intel card listed above. Further away between a wall and sat around 20 feet away, it connects at 650 Mbps, and the other side of the house between 3 walls, 40 feet away a stable connection at 300 Mbps.

As with all wireless networks, walls are the biggest problem, especially if you have thick walls or 3 floors. In that situation, you could physically move the location of the router to another location, and run a network cable to the modem, or use a wireless range extender.

Without going into too many tweaking details (as it is usually site specific), generally to get the best performance, any wired devices should connect using gigabit ethernet with Cat6 cable, and the wireless channels should be set to use 40Mhz bandwidth on a high channel number (2.4 GHz) if your devices support it, and 80 MHz bandwidth (5 GHz channel), again only if your devices support it.

It has many advanced features; in built VPN server (connect to your home network while connected to someone else's internet), USB 3.0 file / printer sharing, mobile 3G or 4G tethering, parental controls, traffic manager (QoS), isolated guest network, AiCloud (virtual drive), custom firewall, IPv6 compatibility, dual WAN (combine two internet connections or use one as a back up should one fail). It is also supported by DD-WRT if you need professional functions.

Mine has been connected for well over 100 days without a single problem, routing wireless and wired devices 24 hours day.

Overall this is a brilliant router that out performs any other brand in its class. It is still been actively supported by Asus, and wireless AC is going to be the next generation or wireless networking - so this router will serve you well for years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb - Now the firmware issues are resolved, 16 Jun 2014
This review is from: Asus RT-AC68U Wireless Broadband Router (Accessory)
I'd been looking at purchasing this router for quite a while. However, it seemed clear that it had been released without the firmware being properly tested. As a result there was plenty of articles and issues on many forums complaining about problems. Even if the 3rd party Merlin firmware was having issues as it was based on the Asus 'stock' firmware.

I'd previously been using the RT-N66U router with the Merlin firmware and it had easily been the best router I'd ever owned. Super range and stability. Therefore even though I have some AC wireless devices I didn't want to purchase a router where there was a few known issues and stability wasn't great.

However, it seems that Asus have now finally got the firmware issues resolved. As soon as I received the router I immediately put on the latest Merlin firmware (at the time of writing 374.43), reset to factory defaults and configured it. In the few weeks I've owned it there have been no issues at all. It's speed with devices connected on the LAN seems slightly faster than the RT-N66U. However, the RT-N66U still has better range. Both routers are still able to cover the entirety of my 3 storey town house, which is something previous brands have always struggled with. At the extremes, the RT-AC68U doesn't have the same signal strength, but it's still perfectly usable.

If you don't have AC wireless devices my recommendation would still be to buy the RT-N66U as it's much cheaper, the range is better and the feature list is very similar to this one. However it you have AC devices, then this is the router to get.

If you already own this router and are still having problems stability, my recommendation would be to put the latest Asus/Merlin firmware on it, after doing so factory reset it, and re-configure it. I've seen quite a few people who've put the latest firmware on, but not factory reset, or have factory reset and then re-loaded a saved configuration. It seem re-setting it clears out anything from the old firmware and configuration. It's a bit of a hassle to re-configure manually, but worth doing if you get the issues resolved.

4.0 out of 5 stars Choices, 4 Jan 2014
Whatchamacallit (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Asus RT-AC68U Wireless Broadband Router (Accessory)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Designed primarily for those of us who have a cable or fibre internet connection the Asus RT-AC68U router must be used with a separate modem. It isn't a replacement for the `traditional' modem/router units that are found with most broadband connections and that appears to have been the cause of some of the negative comments I've noted in other reviews of this unit. Luckily I have a fibre connection and have been using this new router in place of my Asus `Black Knight' (RT-N66U) model Asus RT-N66U Dual Band Wireless N900 Gigabit Router. Since buying one of their laptops a few years ago (and more products since) I have gained a respect for Asus products as they tend to be very well-made so I was keen to see how this new router compared to my old one. However, having read the comments of those other reviewers on this website I must say that I did expect to have some issues with its software. Maybe I've been lucky but so far it all seems to have worked ok for me and I wonder if the software updates issued by Asus have now fixed those problems. I hope so as it's a shame to see such an advanced piece of kit causing such concern amongst users, especially from a manufacturer like Asus.

In my own experience the router has performed well with all of my devices (two smartphones, two tablets, two laptops plus other media devices) and I haven't noted any issues with connectivity or reliability through Wi-Fi or Ethernet. I have not dabbled with the settings on the router so it's pretty standard and seems to be at least as good as my other router. However, the `upgrade' in performance doesn't seem to be particularly noticeable for me so I can't help but suggest that anyone trying to decide between this model and the less expensive RT-N66U chooses that one in view of its more widely acknowledged reliability.

5.0 out of 5 stars WiFi Router to save families and friends relationships., 17 July 2014
This review is from: Asus RT-AC68U Wireless Broadband Router (Accessory)
This is the best in its class, the best in its product category, hands down the best WIFI router you can get. All my problems I had with my other wireless router (which wasn't a bad one if only one person was doing anything on the network!), my problems are gone with this one. No more fighting over "who's hogging all the bandwidth?!" This router can handle it all. I have 18 connected devices in my house! And not a single issue with any of them, watching HD streaming, everyone was happy with what they were doing.

This is how it should be, it just works, and it works so well you forget its even part of the equation with having working internet in the house.

So easy to setup and get running, in like 5 minutes of opening the box. No fuss. Really nice power interface if you need all the things it can do!

I have been using this together with my fibre optic box, and it's perfect internet. Amazing speeds pretty much all the time.

Now this review is pretty glowing enough, and if it hasn't convinced you to get one yet, then what are you doing reading this, get it and stop being on the fence about it! This is money well worth it!

4.0 out of 5 stars At first a mixed bag..., 16 Jan 2014
B. Smyth "smyth86" (Crawley) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Asus RT-AC68U Wireless Broadband Router (Accessory)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I first got this router a couple of months ago when it first came out. I had many problems with it dropping wireless connections or needing to be rebooted. This was on the initial release firmware. I am running the latest (at time of writing) firmware, version 3.0.0.4.374.583. This is the third or fourth release since I got it and it has made great improvements. For those put off by the negative reviews of a couple of months ago, my findings with the new firmware would suggest many of those problems have been fixed.

Firstly, the setup. As with all Asus routers now, the setup is a doddle. Plug it in and connect with a wire and it takes you straight to the setup pages. From here you can enter all the details easily and away you go. I found this a bit laborious though because the navigation between pages was very slow. I put this down to the original firmware.

Physically the router is quite large. Routers are rarely attractive and for me this is no exception. They've done the best they can with the size but if it isn't hidden away it is going to be very obvious. Mine is hidden so it doesn't matter. Anyway, most people would rather a decent router than one that looked good.

I live in a new build three floor house and getting signals through the place is difficult. To give you an idea, my mobile gets a full H+ signal outside my front door; moving into the house and closing the door it disappear completely. Wireless signals are similarly problematic. No other router I've had has reached the top floor but this does. I do have the Galaxy Note 3 which is wireless AC compatible but even my "old" wireless N devices get a signal.

If you are used to Asus routers you will be very familiar with the interface and options and this one is no different. I really like that they use the same interface and largely the same features. It means moving to new routers is easy, if you stick to the brand.

Performance is equally as impressive as the range. Wireless transfer speeds on AC is tremendous, even normal wireless N devices. I haven't done any scientific tests but I can't complain at all. There is a marked difference from my previous Netgear WNDR4300 N router.

The biggest problem with this at the moment is the price. It is a top end router in every sense, including the price. There is no doubting its performance with the newer firmware releases but whether you want to spend that sort of money will be the decider. If money isn't an object then this is an outstanding choice and I can't see you being disappointed at all. If you don't have any AC it might be worth waiting till you do when the price will have come down I'm sure.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic hardware, unfinished firmware, 4 Dec 2013
Alexey Stepanov (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Asus RT-AC68U Wireless Broadband Router (Accessory)
Asus might not be the first to jump on innovations in router design, but very solid hardware and unrivaled support from enthusiasts have made it the number 1 router manufacturer in recent years. RT-AC68 stays true to its origins, and this is both a good and a bad thing.

PROS: Easy to Setup (5 minutes including disconnecting all equipment etc.)

Followed instructions to the letter, was as simple as it gets

Love the GUI which is both easy to navigate and gives you a plethora of options to play with

Has Dual WAN option.

Coverage is really good (positioned antennas just as instructed - did not turn up mW for signal from base of 80, so even more coverage possible if ever needed)

Dual bandwidths and antenna are nice. I segmented off traffic to a guest network, and you can have 6 (SIX!) guest networks in addition to the primary 2.

Supports QoS, that is traffic prioritizing according to rules set (browsing over torrents etc)

Has two USB on back to allow for 2 HDD's to be shared on network (family photos, videos). Great access speed. One is USB 3.0, the other is USB 2.0.

You can Create a cloud disk for access remotely by web or mobile devices to the USB devices if you desire.

Has Parental controls for setting limits to devices by client name (xref to MAC address). Able to block times/enable times to insure it starts and stops when you want.

You can limit time on guest networks and even turn off internet access individually.

IPv6 capable.

Supports Time Machine backups for Mac OS.

Ability to attach network Printer.

The throughput is amazing, device and service VERY solid for me.

CONS: Main one - as with most devices these days, buying RT-AC68 shortly after launch means joining beta-testing of the product. I haven't had problems with the device myself (apart from not being able to access the built-in Download Manager at some point, but it might have to do something with my settings), but after reading reviews and feedback I can see that many users are experiencing problems with Wi-fi connection, on both bands (2.4 and 5). It must have to do something with their specific network parameters, but in the end it's the router's job to handle them all. However, Asus seem to be rolling out new firmware versions very quickly, plus there's the proven 'enthusiast' support (google Merlin firmware) - so it's just a matter of time until all bugs have been sorted out.

Network Map lists all devices on the network and their IP Addresses, but names are not always friendly names (like HPD706E3 etc.) which show up as indeterminable names or mac addresses in list. This is probably more of a problem with those devices - however, once identified, no way to put a user friendly name assigned to the device in the router.

Be nice to QOS by network as well as device or type of traffic.

No way to tell what device is on which network.

CONCLUSION: HIGHLY recommend this router - if you are an advanced user or an enthusiast ready to wait until the device 'matures' and all bugs have been eliminated. This router will give you the best performance available and quite a few layers of 'future proofness'.

If you are a basic user, and need to upgrade your router right now, give it a go - if it does not fit in too well in your particular network environment, you can always return it.

If you are in the market for a better router, but currently on a solid one (like Asus RT-N66 or RT-AC66), i.e. with no urgency to upgrade, I would recommend to hold out for 1-2 months:
1) This will ensure all critical bugs that other users are reporting have been eliminated

2) Netgear R7000 aka Nighthawk, which is based on similar but even more advanced hardware, should be available in the UK in January. While this router is usually 'beaten' by Asus RT-AC68 in tests and reviews, most users report far fewer problems with it. And 1-2 months may enable Netgear to unlock the full potential of their router with firmware updates.

2.0 out of 5 stars Fast but flawed, 23 July 2014
J. Porter - See all my reviews
This review is from: Asus RT-AC68U Wireless Broadband Router (Accessory)
Bought this to replace my BT Business Hub / HomeHub 5 Combo to improve the connection to my Macs, HomeHub 5 AC doesn't seem to like Macs very much continually dropping it and reconnecting on 2.4GHz. So the Asus did this job very well and gave me a nice solid fast connection to my retina macbooks, but..... completely screwed the pooch on the XboxOne. Everytime I turned the Xbox on I had to reconnect to wi-fi, most times by completely resetting the wi-fi up again, even then it was hit or miss whether it would assign an IP address. Tried setting the IP as static on the Xbox and the router but although it would show on the router network map the xbox would not connect to the internet, tried both optimized for xbox and without. Long story short had to powerline the xbox :-(

Range is terrible, AC is only useful in the room next to the router, forget going upstairs. HomeHub 5 blasts it for AC range and it cost me 45 !! So returned as not fit for purpose and a refund please. I did try all the different available firmwares before returning.
My search for a router that will work with both Xbox and Macbook continues.....

5.0 out of 5 stars ASUS RT 68 Router, to buy, or not to buy ?, 26 April 2014
Albert Kleyn (Cork, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Asus RT-AC68U Wireless Broadband Router (Accessory)
Apologies for the length of this review. This router seems to have solicited a fair number of comments and my experience might be of some use, especially if you, like I am, taking a broadband signal from a remote tower 15 miles away, via microwave dish. Initially, I was worried as fibre ( what Fibre ?) Or cable, What Cable ? have not penetrated the wilds of rural Ireland and only God knows if they ever will. ( for those tech saffies amongst you, I wonder if the local phone exchange is Stroegher unit which Noah had previously installed in the Ark.)<Smile>.
A short word of warning. STAY with the comments here on Amazon UK for this product. I made the (almost fatal) mistake to also look on the USA Amazon site for comments about this router. My advice ? Don't do it !!! If the 26 comments here cannot make you decide, the 1000's of comments on the USA site will blow your mind.

Having used ASUS Routers before, (The RT66U (Dark Knight) (who in their right mind came up with that name for a Router???) their Setup is excellent and as many of the comments here on the site echo, it is easy and fast. HOWEVER, if you are deep into slightly more esoteric things like port forwarding, etc etc, take a note of your settings before you replace your old router , as you might have taken time and effort to get all that to work. Takes a few extra minutes, perhaps use the Microsoft sniping tool, and keep a copy of the screens, you will be glad you did.

If you go for the Router setup wizard, it will do all the basics for you and you will be up in no time, but heed the point made above if you are into some unusual settings coded into your old unit as they will have to be entered by hand on the appropriate screens. Also, make sure you take a note of your wireless access code, if you want to maintain a seamless link with the keys in your phones and or other wireless devices to which your previous Router talked. Unless you do that, you will have to reset the keys in all your Iphone, Androds, Ipads, TV's and whatever else is currently is tied to your old router
After installation the Router packs itself of to the ASUS website to download and install the latest Firmware release. Don't skip this step, its the way Asus delivers bug fixes and enhanced functionality.

This Router talks to an Asus wireless card in my Chillblast PC, also sold here on Amazon, the RTxxxxx. Why in Gods name Amazon refuses to sell this card to the Republic of Ireland defies imagination, I had to get it via my brother in Law in Hampshire. Maybe the CIA thinks it is too fast? and Homeland Security has barred it from us mortals? <Smile>.

The router has been running flawlessly for a week now and it's predecessor, the RT 66U, is now used as a range extender as here in the animal sanctuary we are trying to cover a very very large area. ( 2 acres ) Getting an Ethernet signal over more than 100 meters of cheapo cat 5E cable is a challenge, trust me on that. (we use a pair of NetSys Range extenders to achieve this).

This router has delivered flawless performance and with the edition of USB 3 and higher speeds delivers a sterling performance.
Sadly, as always, in this life, you get what you pay for and this router proves the point. But that is to be expected and if this unit behaves as flawlessly as it smaller brother, the RT 66U, which has been on 24/7/365 duty for ONE FULL YEAR, apart from when we get the inevitable rural power cuts ( and we do ), I would consider the money well spend. Its wireless range is slightly superior to the RT 66U, so if you want to get every inch of range this unit is good for that purpose. Do note that you can under the advanced wireless settings play with the transmit power, BUT note that the router will not allow you to override the settings applicable to the country Telecomms regs it is installed in . If you want more range, get different antennas for the router, they are available and product links for those can be found on Amazom.com the USA Amazon site.

One small gripe which is not enough to make me knock the unit down to 4 stars. ASUS, why oh why did you do away with the ability to hang this router on a vertical surface? Not all of us have horizontal real estate for our kit and in my case I had to build a little shelf so the dammed thing can stand on it. ASUS even removed the elongated holes in the back which the 66U has and which make vertical mounting a breeze.

One other point which I will echo on which has been made here by several others. ASUS, please make it VERY CLEAR in your product pages that this router is exactly THAT. It is a ROUTER AND NOT A MODEM/ROUTER. (Amazon, take NOTE!). Put this on the outer product packaging in clear print too as there is NO excuse for not doing so. The world is not all made up of "techies" who sleep with the manuals under their pillows. If you do those two things ASUS, I will ask Amazon for a 6th Star.

I'll update this review in a month of so and see what gives. But for now, Yes, I can wholeheartedly recommend the RT 68U.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is an excellent router. It has plenty of options available via ..., 3 Aug 2014
Mr. B. K. Edmunds "Brian_E" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Asus RT-AC68U Wireless Broadband Router (Accessory)
This is an excellent router. It has plenty of options available via the GUI but it's not ridiculously complicated to set up. The device itself is better than some of the cheaper ASUS routers if you don't require a wall-mounting option, as the integrated, non-removable stand makes the unit more stable (especially since it has non-slip rubber on the bottom). ASUS have also reduced the brightness of the indicator lights on this model (and they can also be switched off entirely if desired) so that's a bonus. The wireless signal is stable, but as with other routers, beware of possible interference from other wireless signals (in my case, I discovered that my wireless burglar alarm was interfering with the wi-fi in my son's room, which is directly above the control panel of the burglar alarm). Being a dual band router has advantages too in locations like mine where the 2.4Ghz band is very crowded as I've been able to move compatible devices onto the 5Ghz band.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect device for dd-wrt, 24 Jun 2014
This review is from: Asus RT-AC68U Wireless Broadband Router (Accessory)
Slapped dd-wrt on it the minute I got it and It has been chugging along perfectly. Build quality is impressive. Have not really tested the usb drive sharing options. Good buy

Asus RT-AC68U Wireless Broadband Router