Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.99

I fully admit that "Pale Green Ghosts" was a bit of a shock when I first heard it. Having truly loved "Queen Of Denmark", I then delved back into John's past work to discover all of The Czars' albums and in the space of just a couple of years went from not really knowing about John Grant to being a huge fan of his work. It's actually only because of my respect for him and the fact that one track, in particular, "Glacier" struck me as a work of genius did I play this album more than once because, I have to be honest, when I listened to it for the very first time, I really disliked it. I'm not a fan of modern electronica (although it you're talking about late seventies and eighties electronic music, I'm rather partial) and much of the album grated. However, I persevered, started to enjoy a few more tracks, went to see John in concert in Cambridge and then, as if by magic, the next time I listened to it, this intricate jigsaw of an album really came together and I was able to thoroughly enjoy the whole album from start to finish, particularly enjoying the textures and dynamics of this unusual piece of work. There are hints of the beautiful big balladry of "Queen Of Denmark", but those who wanted an exact replica of that magnificent album and aren't open to something quite different and adventurous from Grant are possibly going be disappointed by at least half of the tracks here. You really do have to widen your horizons a little or have a penchant for the sort of music he has embraced here to enjoy this release, but for those who are able to embrace the changes or who choose to listen to electronica anyway, this album has so much to offer and each repeat playback rewards the listener with a greater return.

Album opener and title-track "Pale Green Ghosts" (named after the olive trees adorning the roadside near Grant's home in Colorado) still isn't one I have warmed to fully and proves to be a low-key start to the album, although it is most definitely a bold electronic statement that this project is something completely different to his solo breakthrough. The excellent "Black Belt" has robotic rhythms and some bitchy, pithy lyrics that match the cold, detached feel of the song perfectly and the slightly bitter but undeniably likeable, self-promoting yet self-deprecating "GMF" is the first track, musically, on "Pale Green Ghosts" that could have comfortably fit on this album's predecessor. "Vietnam", the sound of a man battling against his (ex?) partner's unforgiving silence, has a musically hollow verse but the sumptuously melodic chorus, augmented by soothing strings, is like aural honey, sweet, soothing and completely contradictory to the pain expressed in the lyrics. The heartbreakingly beautiful "It Doesn't Matter To Him" sees John pouring his sadness and frustration out into some gentle, dignified musings that anybody who has been involved in a painful break-up will understand and empathise with. The instrumental epilogue of the track is dreamy and gorgeous; an exquisite end to an emotive piece. "Why Don't You Love Me Anymore" is less likeable, however, and is quite a bleak, angry synth-laden track that covers the same ground as the previous song, but with a little less restraint.

"You Don't Have To", with its slightly eighties sound simple synthesiser motif, is a wistful, tender reminiscence about a lost relationship with some amusingly biting, honest lyrics, whereas "Sensitive New Age Guy" is an up-tempo slice of electronica which, although has some interesting synth touches, is a bit less enjoyable than most of the other tracks. The sonically bleak "Ernest Borgnine" isn't really to my taste, either, but the superb "I Hate This Town" (with a chorus almost borrowed from ABBA's "Chiquitita", according to Grant) truly raises the bar once more. It is almost as if the very best was saved for last on "Pale Green Ghosts", as the last composition, "Glacier", an intelligent, fierce rebuttal of homophobic slander and hatred is truly magnificent, featuring a sublime vocal performance by John and a classically-tinged piano and strings climax that is both beautiful and passionate in equal measure. Even if a lot of the album isn't to your taste because of the electronic content, I would defy anyone who enjoyed "Queen Of Denmark" to listen to "Glacier" and not be blown away; it's a moment of sheer genius on a creative, eclectic album that has so many more excellent tracks than not. It's the track that forced me to re-listen to the album time and time again and to turn an, at first, uncomfortable listening experience into something that is now one of my favourite records of 2013. I imagine "Pale Green Ghosts" isn't for everybody and it very nearly wasn't for me, but a willingness to absorb the new direction and a little perseverance could mean that it slowly turns into one of your favourites of the year too.
on 14 March 2013
"Who is this dude?",I asked myself. How come I have never heard of him? Hell! I can hear a lot of pain here. Oh, he's got some dry wit too.......

It must have been hard to deal with middle American homophobia and his own, wrong footed ,self accusatory doubt about his sexuality being the source of his ills, but, by grief, this man is an epiphany.

Being diagnosed HIV pos is a terrible burden and my heart goes out to him for the difficulties He traverses, but JG sure as heck has created a superb means of getting his thoughts on it out there.

Individual track synopsis is not my style however I do want to state that this whole album is a treasure.

I hate small mindedness and having seen it first hand in that open air asylum between NY and LA. I am so glad there are musicians such as John beating around to expose it to the glare of reason. Judge a person on their merits, not some narrow minded, medieval, hill billy, white bread bigotry.

Gay, straight, up, down, left , right, vegetable, mineral or whatever. Who cares!! What matters is respecting people and their choices, great music, articulate prose and a dark fun, sense of the ridiculous.

Mr Grant you made me a believer. I couldn't care less about your orientation, just that you get your music out to as large an audience as possible.

Buy this and listen over either an effeminate European style coffee or strong malt scotch. Make your own mind up about the meanings within, but do not dismiss. This is important stuff, better than 99.9 % of the fabricated fluff being f£&ted out by Simon Cowell and his ilk.

Pure talent.
66 comments| 78 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 May 2014
A brilliant collection of self deprecating and darkly humorous tracks which expose the pain of depression, lost love, addiction and personal destruction. There is a strong element of loathing of some previous lover evident, but hope and uplifting moments are present also. I was prompted to go and see John Grant and his band in concert and I wasn't disappointed, a top class performer. Highlights are GMF, Glacier, Vietnam and Pale green ghosts
on 13 March 2014
Having heard a couple of tracks on YT I decided this was a must purchase. Grants pleasing baritone eases you into a world of deeply felt emotion, wry humour and honest revelation concerning health, fame, relationships and shared experience. Sonically he taps into an electro vibe, using analogue and digital technology with taste and skill never overplaying his hand at the expense of song-writing skill. Lyrics flow with a sense of abstraction and stream of consciousness with the occasional rhyme creating points of structural underpinning. This allows the listener to anchor themselves within the meaning of his stories without feeling that he is cutting you adrift with no points of easy reference. He teases you into his world and then gives you a shove in the guts as you empathise with his predicaments and insights. Intelligent and artful music for adults looking to reflect their life experience with all its uncertainties, disappointments and rare flashes of joy.
on 4 January 2014
I had no prior knowledge of John Grant's music but a chance listen on Deezer led me to buy this CD for the car. Pale Green Ghosts is electronic music for grown-ups. The lyrics tell of failed love affairs and stubborn independence while the tunes itself are memorable and haunting if not exactly dancefloor-ready. If you're in the mood for something unusual and thoughtful but don't want to venture as far as an acoustic album to get there, give this a go.
on 26 May 2013
Saw Mr Grant on Jools Holland and immediately got this the same night. Wonderful album. Sharpe, often witty lyrics, despite the obvious heartbreak running through the songs. The music is sometimes bleak electronics, sometimes orchestral. The voice is just perfect. I consider this a masterpiece.
on 7 October 2014
After the excellent Queen of Denmark expectations were high for the follow-up, but this initially disappointed. Whereas Queen of Denmark consisted of a unified set of well produced, lyrically appealing tracks culminating in the brutal title track, this set is bleaker with sparse instrumentation and less QoD/Czars melodies which made those sometimes bitter lyrics more appealing. The reliance on often intrusive keyboards is less effective than the lush Midlake/orchestral backing of QoD, but works on tracks like Pale Green Ghosts quite well. As befitting an Iceland-based set the themes are also bleaker, again JG's coming to terms with sexuallity/relationship angst and his declared misanthropy in tracks like I Hate this F- Town and It Don't Matter to Him. The frequent expletives aren't really a problem, though an artist of JG's stature proved he could convey his anger or sour perspectives on life without them on QoD. There are a couple of tracks such as Glacier that do fit the QoD template quite well, with JG's mighty voice grabbling your attention-which is a plus. The cover is less eigmatic than QoD's bonkers one, though the imposing suited JG scowling menacingly n this cover is a little offbeat. An intriquing album and a decent album but less appealing to me than QoD. It'll be interesting to hear where JG goes on the next album.
on 15 February 2014
More of an electronic, Icelandic feel than the debut Midlake backed Queen of Denmark, this is nonetheless a wonderful album. The voice and songs are stunning. Ignore the haters, you don't have to be gay to appreciate this…..thought we were beyond all that by now.
on 14 March 2013
I adored 'Queen of Denmark' and waited (and waited) longingly for this one. I have to admit that more of the same would have been fine: I'd have consumed delightedly. I'm a big fan of Kraftwerk, Goldfrapp and all things electronica so when info-leaks began dripping tales of Hercules and Love Affair type sounds I began to froth at the ears. This arrived on the same day as Bowie's 'The Next Day' and, sorry Bobo, this has been by far the biggest attraction! I can't get enough! There isn't a track that I want to skip, though I do keep wanting 'You Don't Have To' wherever I can have it: Kraftwerk with blood pulsing through it! The last time I was so excited by an album was 'frapp's 'Seventh Tree' (still a big favourite...and their least electronic!)...So, I'm not easily pleased and this is nothing short of fabulous... actually, no it's not fabulous, it's BRILLIANT. If you're going to buy an album for the summer, this is it...and it won't matter if it rains.
on 3 July 2013
Absolutely love John Grant he is such an immense talent and he is superb live too. Queen of Denmark is one of my all time favourite albums. When I heard that his next album was going to be more electronic sounding I got very excited and it doesn't disappoint though it's not a Queen of Denmark it's still a great album but less cohesive than QoD as it does go from electronic based songs to more organic sounds and then back to electronic again so musically a bit more uneven as a record but still greatly satisfying and with his acerbic wry self deprecating lyrics that would sound awful was it not for that exact sense of humour with which he coats them he is a joy of dark vs light that very few artist can master. Highly recommemded.