5.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes it pays to leave your comfort zone
I fully admit that "Pale Green Ghosts" was a bit of a shock when I first heard it. Having truly loved "Queen Of Denmark", I then delved back into John's past work to discover all of The Czars' albums and in the space of just a couple of years went from not really knowing about John Grant to being a huge fan of his work. It's actually only because of my respect for him...
Published 11 months ago by Andy Sweeney

3.0 out of 5 stars Stark and Confessional
Midway through this second solo album from the former Czars frontman I found myself running out of patience. His previous offering "Queen of Denmark" was one of my favourite albums of 2010 with its wonderful melodies, intriguing lyrics and charm. Sadly Pale Green Ghosts has none of that charm. It is a stark, hard confessional album.

It is a harsh album...
Published 6 months ago by Mr. Peter Steward

5.0 out of 5 stars A real album of songs, 30 Mar 2013
Keith D. Gumery (Philadelphia, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pale Green Ghosts (Audio CD)
On first listen I was struck by a couple of things: firstly, that the sound is very different from Queen of Denmark, and secondly that some of the album was much more immediate with me than other parts. Trusting John Grant, I have been piecing the album together with each listen, and it has come together in such a way that I find I have to listen to it from beginning to end otherwise it loses an element that is clearly there. This is a suite of songs that comes together to tell a story in some places, to create a mood in others. They are witty, funny, angry, and heart-breaking. What holds them together is each other and a clear personality that is all John Grant. These songs are supremely good. They give you something that you didn't have before. They make you feel something that you haven't felt before - or, they make you feel something you HAVE felt before all over again. This is an artist at the top of his game.

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a beautiful voice, 26 Mar 2013
This review is from: Pale Green Ghosts (Audio CD)
Do'nt be put of by other reviews, John Grant is fabulous. Sinead o' Connor backing is clearly haunting. Great lyrics and thumping baselines!! totally different from 1st cd

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartbreakingly beautiful, 11 Jun 2013
This review is from: Pale Green Ghosts (MP3 Download)
Oh John! I want to cuddle him up and let him know everything will be ok and that he's loved! His lyrics are incredible and both witty and so sad. Despite the difficult subject matter his songs are uplifting and fun. John sings about being gay and the struggle for acceptance - from both himself and others, addiction, HIV and the breakdown of his relationship, among other things. I hate the fact that such a beautiful soul could experience such pain - he doesn't deserve to. I am glad to have this album in my life.
My number one favourite track is GMF, but it is hard to choose just one. Now I need to investigate Queen Of Denmark!

3.0 out of 5 stars 2 different cd,s fighting on one disc...hmmm, 23 Mar 2013
This review is from: Pale Green Ghosts (Audio CD)
He still sounds great..he tells a fabulous story...but this feels like 2 incompatible cd's melded together in a really awkward way. It's not a reprise of previous album....but at times it is....and it's not entirely a new sound.....sadly it just doesn't quite deliver. There are great moments and great lines but it doesn't quite come off. A bit of a shame.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 12 Sep 2014
Excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 22 Oct 2014
Smashing

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album, 14 April 2013
This review is from: Pale Green Ghosts (Audio CD)
Not heard of John Grant until I heard Pale Green Ghost on Jo Whiley - Great album. cant wait to see him live

5.0 out of 5 stars Satisfying Follow Up To 'Queen of Denmark', 10 April 2013
This review is from: Pale Green Ghosts (Audio CD)
Upon first listen you might ask, "Where's Queen of Denmark 2?" But once you accept that John Grant is not releasing a second disc to his superb solo debut, you'll fall in love with his new album. My only kvetch is this, I wish they'd taken the electronic sound a little further. A little more Gus Gus would have been even more welcome.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 13 Aug 2014
This review is from: Pale Green Ghosts (Audio CD)
Was this the same person I watched (on TV) performing at Glastonbury? Not to my taste I'm afraid, but each to their own.

5.0 out of 5 stars A MAGNIFICENT RETURN, 17 Mar 2013
B. Mehmet "birol40" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pale Green Ghosts (Audio CD)
I honestly didn't think John Grant's Queen of Denmark could be bettered. In fact I got nervous when I read that Pale Green Ghosts was a departure from the first album with its uptempo synth pop tracks. However, from the first play I knew Pale Green Ghosts was something special and I was hooked. I have not stopped listening to it and I absolutely love it. An album that, in my view, surpasses the first and a magnificent return from an artist that deserves more attention. Looking forward to seeing him live in London in May 2013.

Pale Green Ghosts