5.0 out of 5 stars The Good, The Better and the Brilliant!, 26 Feb 2014
Trev-R (Boston UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1KEB-S Compact System Camera with 12-32mm Lens - Silver (Electronics)
I already have a GX7 and a G3 and wanted something small that would fit into my pocket as a 'grab' camera instead of my current Sony compact. The good - this is absolutely tiny and body size is the same as my Sony HX20V, its only the lens that makes it bigger. The better - it fits into my normal coat pocket without any problems and the brilliant - I can use it with all of my existing MFT lenses.

I took it into town for a quick test as soon as the battery was charged and I have uploaded some images of St Botolph's church and Boston market. The camera is absolutely tiny and means you have to watch where you put your fingers. However everything is placed perfectly so I didn't find I had any real problems at all. The screen is very clear and bright and even in today's contrasty bright sunshine I had no real problems seeing the screen to compose the shot.

The features on the camera are extremely comprehensive and flexible enough to meet most situations where you are likely to use this camera. One of the photos I have uploaded is a 5 shot set on auto bracket with 1 stop differences and combined in Photomatix. Unfortunately I had to hand hold but the result is very good. Using on Aperture Priority mode which is what I mainly use was a breeze as exposure compensation is achieved by pressing one button and dialing in any correction. I haven't tried any of the other modes yet apart from running through the camera at home.

This camera can be as simple as point and shoot or as complex as multi exposure RAW for HDR with everything in between. I have just been looking at some of the images in Photoshop and they are every bit as good as my GX7. This camera is an absolutely amazing piece of technology.

5.0 out of 5 stars A bit of a game-changer, 12 April 2014
I was looking to spend about £500 to buy a new camera which offered higher picture quality than I was getting from my Lumix LX7. As I use a camera mainly for amateur travel photography, compactness of design was a primary consideration, as was the weight. And a close secondary consideration was a 24mm wide angle field of view (in 35mm terms). And I also like a camera to be able to take filters without the ridiculous rigmarole required for the likes of the Lumix LX7 whereby stupid adapter rings have to be bought.

With this in mind, the options I considered were the Fuji XE-1 (currently available for £500, with 24-75 lens), Ricoh GR (fixed 28mm lens) and the Lumix GM1 (24-64mm lens). (Expressing the focal lengths in 35mm terms). I was drawn to the Ricoh because of its image quality (APS-C size image sensor & excellent lens), but ruled it our in the end because I really do use the 24mm wide angle field of view in a lot of my photographs via landscapes and indoor shots. And I was drawn to the Fuji because of its image quality too, again via an APS-C sized image sensor and a sharp lens, but ruled that out on size considerations. If the Fuji had a very compact lens design, say a 24-48mm (in 35mm terms) then I would have chosen it, but alas the 16-50 lens is too big for my needs. The one thing that really gets me down with any camera is when travelling with it becomes an exercise in camera transportation logistics, like when travelling through airports and on aircraft for example. Ditto when I'm out walking; I like a camera to be pocketable so that I can easily shelter it from rain showers without the need to hawk around a camera case or backpack.

So that left the Lumix GM1. Reading online reviews, its image quality was praised as much as its compactness. Plus I noted that it had a filter thread fitted as standard. That was my decision made - I purchased the GM1.

On first seeing the camera the first thing that strikes you is its incredible compactness - the Panasonic engineers have done an amazing job here. The GM1 body is far more compact than that of the LX7 (excluding the integrated LX7 lens). With the 12-32mm lens attached, the GM1 measures only 7mm more in depth (i.e. measuring from the back of the viewing screen to the front of the lens) than the LX7. Given that this extra 7mm includes the depth necessary to accommodate the micro4/3 interchangeable lens mount, I reckon that is pretty good going.

Shooting back to back images in RAW on the LX7 (1/1.7" sensor) and the GM1 and then processing them via DxO Optics 9 (only correcting CAs and purple fringing, no distortion correction) and then viewing the images on a laptop yielded the result I expected, i.e. images from the GM1 have much more bite and better toning/colouring compared to those from the LX7. No surprise there.

However, a lot of detail can be lost as a result of any distortion correction process, and the more distortion there is present then the more detail will be lost during the distortion correction step (irrespective of whether this is done in-camera or via post-camera RAW processing via a software package). Happily, uncorrected wide angle barrel distortion looks much better on the GM1 (with 12-32) than on the LX7. Online reviews have measured it (for the 12-32) at between 1% and 2% which if true is very well controlled indeed. In contrast, the Fujinon 16-50 uncorrected wide angle barrel distortion has been measured at 7.2% at 16mm (source: Photozone), which is colossal.

But obtaining nice sharp images at ISO 100 or 200 is only part of the story. What about when you need to take shots indoors or of stage performances, using available light? I do this frequently and this is where I run into problems with the LX7, i.e. image noise. With the LX7 I have to draw the line at ISO 400 (and that's when using DxO v9's excellent PRIME noise reduction processing). With the GM1, I'm not sure I would even bother with applying noise reduction to images taken at ISO 400. Plus, going further up the ISO scale, I find that image detail holds up very well at ISO 800, 1600 and 3200. I find images shot at these ISOs and then noise reduction processed via DxO 9's PRIME to be exceptionally good - amazingly so. The GM1 sensor is very well and very sensibly designed in this respect. I would much rather have 16Mp and high ISO usability than 20/24Mp and see luminance noise creeping in at ISO 200/400.

I'm going to stop short of the euphoric hype of saying that the GM1 provides modern day APS-C image quality, because it doesn't; pictures from the Ricoh GR and the Fuji XE-1 will be sharper due to the larger sensor size. It's the old adage - there is no substitute for sensor size; if you want APS-C image quality then you need to buy an APS-C camera. But for me, the GM1 is exactly what I wanted it to be, i.e. a very light and very compact camera ideally suited to travel photography, beautifully engineered around a magnesium alloy metal chassis and which provides an obvious step up in image quality and high ISO usability from my Lumix LX7.

For now, I would say that Panasonic really have hit a sweet spot with the GM1 in terms of the trade off between compactness and image quality.

My advice to potential purchasers is to go take a look at the GM1 in the flesh, handle it in the showroom and take a few tests shot on your own memory card and see what you think. I'm very glad I did - I think me and the GM1 will be happy travelling companions for a few years to come. Highly recommended.

My advice to Panasonic is to make the LX8 as a cost reduced version of the GM1, i.e. with fixed 12-32mm lens and plastic chassis etc. That would jump you forwards beyond the 1in sensor competition which has prevailed against you in the fixed lens compact market and would also provide economies of scale due to common componentry across LX8 and GM1. And/or you could opt to produce a cost reduced CSC derivative of the GM1, like Fuji has done with its X-A1. Either way, in a nutshell, it is now essential to dump 1/1.7" now and go for 4/3 for the LX8.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1KEB-S Compact System Camera with 12-32mm Lens - Silver