5.0 out of 5 stars Hauntingly beautiful and downright scary!
Published on 30 Jan 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars Buy the Boxed Set CD
I am someone totally sold on Lord of the Rings, both books and films, and subsiduary texts. You can rest assured that Peter Jackson and team knew what they were doing and have delivered a true to Tolkein rendition of the saga.
The point of adding yet another review to this cd? Simply this, don't buy it! Buy the trilogy boxed set. For just a few more pounds you'll get...
Published on 20 Feb 2004 by Richard Douglason

5.0 out of 5 stars Hauntingly beautiful and downright scary!, 30 Jan 2002
By A Customer
I love this soundtrack! I had imagined that the battle sequences would sound a little more like 'The Battle' in Gladiator, but this soudntrack REALLY grows on you! 'The Bridge of Khazad Dum' builds up the tension fantastically with it's male voice choirs chanting, in what, I am told, is genuine Dwarfish, and ends with one of the saddest, most tear-jerking pieces of music I have ever heard! Brilliant! 'The Council of Elrond' is simply beautiful and so romantic, and 'Lothlorien' with it's Lament for Gandalf, like the actual Golden Wood of the film, is eerily haunting.
Oh, and Enya is great - singing in elvish, even if it does sound an awful lot like welsh at times! I highly recommend this for Tolkien and music fans alike!

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect soundtrack for an amazing film., 7 Jan 2002
As a student who studies so-called 'serious' classical music, it seems to me that film music is often treated as somehow inferior by those in elitist classical circles. Film music is often disregarded because of its popularity, and because it remains an essential part of something as synonymous with contemporary culture as cinema, it has somehow come to be seen as intellectually inferior.
I find this soundtrack particularly refreshing because it doesn't sound like a composer trying to write in a film idiom. Shore has created pieces which I would be quite happy to listen to in as pieces in their own right, and that in my opinion can exist indepentdently of the visual images they were written for.
Hard core 'Star Wars' fans may note the similarity of the choral passages with John Williams' music for 'The Phantom Menace', but in my opinion Shore's music is by far the superior, and as cinematic as the 'Fellowship theme' sounds when taken out of context, for me it loses none of its appeal.
What I appreciate most about this music is its originality. The combination of folk and more traditional ideas create a perfect backdrop for a stunning film, and this loses none of its magic when the visual stimuli are removed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best film score ... ever?, 25 July 2003
I am not much of a fan of film scores, as they can usually not be heard without the context of the film. The score for the Fellowship of the Ring is different insofar as it allows the listener to "see" the film in their head, it is that evocative.
Howard Shore has managed to create lasting and haunting themes for each of the protagonists, viz the industrial sound of Isengard, the Gothic horror of the Ringwraiths, the bucolic idyll of the Hobbits, or the heroic grandeur of the Fellowship theme - who can forget the majestic panorama as each member of the Fellowship walks past the viewer in "The Ring Goes South".
The elegiac quality of the music following Gandalf's demise (at the end of "The Bridge of Khazad-Dum") brings goosebumps to my skin even now, while the "Lament for Gandalf" is as other-worldly as the Elves themselves.
Do yourself a favour and get the CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 12 Dec 2001
By A Customer
I've listened to this soundtrack many times over the last few days and it gets better every time.
I suppose having read the book makes me appreciate the music even more. It really captures the Middle Earth that I conjured up in my mind while reading the book.
The soundtrack is moving in parts, rousing in others and always dramatic. Enya is fantastic.
A minor gripe though. The soundtrack is only 70 minutes long. Less than half the length of the movie. I want more!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Music ,booklet disappointing, 11 Jan 2002
I loved the soundtrack so much that I decided to buy the deluxe version,thinking I would probably wear out the ordinary LOTR soundtrack which I already own.I thought the extra money for slightly posher cover and small booklet(no Elrond in it!!!)was not that good value.Better to buy one of the many excellent books of the film shots on sale.I loved the film so much I went 3 times and always find the score really enhances the powerful visual images.An epic film and soundtrack which will be a future classic of Cinema.

5.0 out of 5 stars Where to start..., 12 Jan 2002
I've only just bought/heard this album today and I can say it's the BEST soundtrack I have ever listened to. Why? Because it made me cry. I really wasn't expecting to feel as moved by the music as I was by the movie (which, by the way, I also cried at at the end)
What's more is I could SEE the movie being played in my head as I listened to the music. To me, that really is a unique experience.''Concerning Hobbits'' made me smile to think of the Shire and its inhabitants and ''Council of Elrond'' replayed perfectly the scene between Aragorn and Arwen in the movie. This album is fantastic!!!! I recommend you buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Music for the second Ring Cycle? Safety first, 23 Nov 2001
Gavin Wilson - See all my reviews
Let's face it: for many of us avid fans of 'The Lord of the Rings', the new movie adaptation is likely to be the last in our lifetime. It is tremendously important that director Peter Jackson and colleagues don't make a mess of it. We probably all have our own ideas about the soundscape which the hobbits, elves and dwarves inhabit. We would expect every commissioned composer to devise something different, but it would be disastrous if a stunning visual story was destroyed by an appalling soundtrack.
Everything I have read and heard so far about this film trilogy indicates that Peter wants to create a cinematic experience that won't disappoint the JRRT faithful. Thankfully it appears that Peter's natural tendency is to steer towards the conservative and accurate rather than the experimental.
Thus on the soundtrack, for instance, we have no rap music, thank goodness. There is also no thrash metal, thank goodness, although some directors may have felt the Orcs deserved it. Instead, we have a mixture of the orchestral and the New Age -- a potent combination of symphonic music reminiscent of Wagner, Bruckner and Orff coupled to a bit of Enya unleashed on one of the best stories written in the 20th century. This is music that should not date badly within say, the next fifty years. It is music for the imagination -- highly visual stuff, released one month before the movie hits the cinemas, to encourage us to listen in a darkened room and conjure up our own dramatic scenes.
Peter Jackson's choice of Howard Shore and Enya for composers has generated a highly dramatic score, despite it containing few immediately catchy numbers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Out of this world, and into Middle Earth!, 22 Nov 2001
Every time I listen to this soundtrack I am transported from my house to middle earth and become part of the fellowship! This cd is fantastic! It's not just a soundtrack that constantly hits you with big tunes, its much more clever than that, it hits you with pure emotion! It has many fantastic melodies that are used intelligently and develop thought the soundtrack. For example the "fellowship theme" is never fully heard in all its glory until the fellowship is completely formed at the council of Elrond. You must buy NOW! You can't have mine, its mine I tell you! My Precious!!!!!!!! Sorry, don't know what came over me. Brilliant soundtrack!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, emotional and magical, 22 Jan 2002
This really brings the film alive. I bought this before I saw the film and even then I could see the film unfold in my mind. It really comes alive with feeling and emotion. You feel the Journey of the fellowship through the music and for the first time we get to hear Quenya being sung by Enya and it really is magical. Howard Shore has truely captured the magic of Tolkien.

5.0 out of 5 stars A surprisingly effective soundtrack that matches the book., 16 Dec 2001
Reading over the other reviews, it's been interesting to note how wary other people seem to have been at the choice of the composer for this score. Rest assured - just as others have said, the score IS very good.
Perhaps this soundtrack does veer a little too close to cliched patterns at times, but then again, given both the epic and the intimate nature of The Lord of The Rings, audiences inevitably will approach a movie like this with certain preconceptions about how the score should sound and feel.
And Howard Shore certainly delivers!
From the folksy and pastoral music which sets the sunny tone for the Hobbits, to Enya's surprisingly effective etheral voice hinting at the world weariness of the elves, to thundering choirs and lone voices roaring out grand themes and sighing out notes of loss, this score immediately defines all of the key points in the film. Grandoise horror and personal loss, peace and anarchy alike come flooding out of your speakers!
In fact, it's hard not to think of The Phantom Menace's soundtrack listening to this, and how once again George Lucas seems to have been outshone by Peter Jackson, this time in the soundtrack stakes. Where everyone can remember the Duel of the Fates theme, it is likely that many will remember various themes from this film instead.
Finally, even though the film and the first part of this trilogy end on a quiet note, it must be said that this soundtrack also ends perfectly, supplementing the dissolution of the fellowship of the ring with an urge to know more of the story, and know more of the musical themes that shall progress as the story deepens...
Perhaps it will be a difficult score for Mr Shore to follow, but based on the quality of this memorable soundtrack, it is to be hoped that he can recapture even part of the terrible beauty of this CD.

Lord Of The Rings-The Fellowship Of The Ring