5.0 out of 5 stars Fast paced and action packed., 31 July 2014
This review is from: Power Games: Operation Enduring Unity I: The Second Civil War (Kindle Edition)
An excellent political & military thriller, Power Games is a hypothetical second American civil war set in modern times.
The book is fast paced and is both action packed and full of political turmoil & intrigue.
I took the book on holiday with me intending to read it over a few days as and when I had time. Finished the book in two sittings and have now just purchased the sequel, it was that good a read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good read and not implausible either, 15 Jun 2014
Most stories detailing a hypothetical Second US Civil War are very preachy and are either strongly left or right wing and portray the "other side" as corrupt and evil. This was a breath of fresh air as it shows the points of view of both sides of the war and has a fairly plausible build up to the conflict also.

I will certainly be purchasing the sequel :)

4.0 out of 5 stars This book should be required reading in Washington..., 13 April 2014
jparent "JP" (New Bedford, MA USA) - See all my reviews
This book certainly makes a statement! I was provided a free copy of Power Games in exchange for an honest review.

So... how to review this? While I can certainly say this book spoke to me, one must accept two premises to enjoy this book: (1) nothing is sacred and no one is moral in American politics (a premise I immediately accepted :); and (2) our military factions are at the whims of said corrupt politicians and, in the words of Lord Tennyson, "Theirs not to reason why, Theirs but to do and die."

That second premise I had some difficulty accepting. But I fear my hopes and naivity may not be reality. The author's evident military background vastly trumps my knowledge of what it means to be a soldier, so I defer to him. And what a military-rich book! The author seems to know his stuff when it comes to anything military, and lucky for me, he provided a glossary of terms (which I read before reading the tale and would recommend those following in my footsteps to do the same).

Now, I am neither a fan of political fiction or military thrillers, but the author's satirical expertise and outright cynicism paired with blunt sincerity made for a rather powerful read. It is with no reservations that I say I truly enjoyed this military thriller.

The story itself shows the missteps and political dogma that could lead us into a civil war. Though the scenario seems to produce rather extreme results, the story is steeped in history and constitutional support. As a lawyer, I had no problems with the author's use of legal concepts to effectuate his end results.

The action starts at Page 1, and bloodshed follows quickly. Power Games takes no sides, taking jabs at liberals and conservatives alike, and sometimes even the military, in an effort to expose a seriously flawed (fictional?) system. It lives up to its booking as a fast-paced thriller.

The issues I had with the novel primarily concern characterization. While I am not one that needs distinct heroes and villains, I do need strong characters. The book examines the events through the eyes of many, some of which don't make it beyond a few chapters. I did not get a feel for many of the characters or a deep understanding of what made each tick (other than an almost universally shared desire to reap the fruits of a poisonous tree).

All in all, I was pleasantly surprised by the strength of the narrative. As a debut novel, the author explored complex ideas through an intricate plot in a very enjoyable manner. I look forward to what else he has in store.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 3 April 2014
A book like this one benefits massively from the author’s first-hand experience, but it takes a talented writer to be able to translate this experience into words – and Richard Peters does that effectively and effortlessly. This is a fantastic debut novel: fast-paced, full of action, political turmoil and intelligent plots. It’s well-formatted and I really like the book cover as well. I think this could easily adapt to the big screen or a TV series – and I’d love to watch it. An impressive book that is well worth checking out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Be scared!, 17 Nov 2013
At first I thought this was going to be very male, political and American which in parts it is. It is packed with combat action and the roles of Jessica and Sophie make this book appealing to a wider audience.
It has a great balance of action, political argument, intelligent plotting and side-switching. We see the views from the top, the president, and all the way through the generals, the soldiers, the Bible-bashers, the news reporters, the protesters and the innocent bystanders.
It's a massive story and I don't mean word count. It's exceptionally well written with a fast pace which fits with the action scenes perfectly.
I could almost believe that the author had travelled forward in time and came back with an account of what was going on.
Personally I would have liked more dialogue, but as it's an action based story with a lot of noise, had it been a film, I understand why it is written the way it is.
A very clever book and I learned a lot from it.