This is posted on my blog as a review for the publishers - www.apageoffictionallove.blogspot.co.uk

I actually REALLY loved this! It reminded me a lot of Ali Harris' Written in the Stars that I read in 2014, yet it was different enough to not feel as though you were reading the same story.

It was original, and kept me on the edge of my seat for the 3...
Published 2 months ago by Dawn Brierley ~ A Page of Fict...

3.0 out of 5 stars Make time for this read
I found the book to be like "Peggy Sue gets married" meets the Ghost of Christmas past. It is very easy when you are unhappy to dwell on "what-ifs" and I thought Jemma Forte portrayed an unhappily married life very honestly.

Published 13 months ago by Robyn K

3.0 out of 5 stars Make time for this read, 3 Mar. 2014
This review is from: If You're Not the One (Kindle Edition)

Jennifer has an accident and she is transported to a kind of afterlife waiting room in the form of the famous tunnel. Each door she picks leads her to another "what if" scenario.

To be honest, I found all of the jumping around from past to present to present past all very confusing at first. It took a lot of getting used to and I think it distracted me from the story because I had to keep turning back pages to figure out the time-line in my head.

After five weeks in a coma, Jennifer wakes up. Having lived multiple "what if" lives, she is now blessed with gift of hindsight. If there is a moral to the story, I would have to say this: it is nice revisiting the past but you can never wish away your children. In theory, any choice that is made - that results in children, by default is the right one.

The ending is slightly inconclusive, but so is life. Sometimes you end up exactly where you are meant to be. It was a very enjoyable book that will lead to you being thought provoked and take you to the land of "What if's".

3.0 out of 5 stars Confusing..., 15 Mar. 2014
Stella (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: If You're Not the One (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This sounded great in the blurb and I was expecting a nice, fun 'what if' book. I got the 'what if' but the fun part was short lived. What started out as entertaining quickly became quite confusing and frustrating. The constant jumping forwards, backwards and sideways every time someone new was introduced made my eyes glaze over a bit. It got quite dark towards the end too and not at all what I would have expected, considering the cover has a definite 'chick lit' feel to it.

It's a good story about missed chances and regrets but not really the lighthearted read I hoped for.

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read let down by the ending, 28 April 2014
This review is from: If You're Not the One (Kindle Edition)
Don't get me wrong, initially I loved this book. The concept that we could in some way find out what might have been if we had chosen different paths intrigued me. The book was well written with good characters that I could sympathise with....that is, until the epilogue....

I don't want to give away too much but I prefer my books to end rather than just stop. It was almost as if the writer ran out of time and just stopped writing. This type of ending spoilt the book for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars uk I actually REALLY loved this! It reminded me a lot of Ali ..., 4 Jan. 2015
This review is from: If You're Not the One (Kindle Edition)

It was original, and kept me on the edge of my seat for the 3 days it took me to devour it because simply put, I couldn't put it down!

Jennifer is basically having a mid life crisis, one of those moments in life where you wake up and suddenly wonder if you made the right choices in life, if this is ALL there is, and what if.... you'd done things differently.

We've all had those WHAT IF moments, and I couldn't help nodding along as Jennifer's story unfolded. We always wonder what if...about out exes, we do it ladies, and maybe only our closest girlfriends know, but in this book, it's OK to admit to Jennifer that you know exactly what she's going through.

It starts with Jen running away from Max, her husband in a rather Bridget Jones styled way, and before you know it she's been hit, and is being taken to hospital where she is in a coma.
Whilst she's in her comatose state she gets the chance to go tunnel travelling to all the possibilities that could have been. She gets to see what life would have been like had she gone to Australia with Aiden (who is more laid back than an ozzie) rather than University, or marry Tim, creator of reUNIon... the super rich guy who at first looks amazing, but, i don't know about you, but when I read about life with him, I had to verbally declare that Jennifer, in my opinion should absolutely stay clear of him, and lastly there is Max, her husband. But in amongst those three suitors, there lies a WILD CARD in the form of JOE, and well, who knows... Maybe Jemma Forte, can enlighten us a bit more on Joe, I know I'd love a follow up!

This book will keep you page turning, give you cramp in your hand from not letting the book go, and you will be on the edge of your seat more times than Jennifer is on the edge of those tunnels!

An absolute MUST READ that will have you evaluating and questioning your life.

I will leave you with this;

What if.... you bought the book and read an absolutely amazing story?

2.0 out of 5 stars depressing and unsatisfying, 22 Mar. 2014
This review is from: If You're Not the One (Kindle Edition)
Whilst this book looks like a light read, it is not. It produces sadness and the feeling of inadequacy of your life. Would not recommend

5.0 out of 5 stars A thought-provoking, warm, funny, compelling read, 22 May 2014
This review is from: If You're Not the One (Kindle Edition)
This is a wonderful, heartwarming story where the central character is allowed a glimpse of alternative possibilities to her present existence. This is done through an inventive plot which twists through time sequences and dwells on whether the grass is always greener, or whether our destiny should follow the heart or the head. Underlying the exuberant, witty style is a story of our times which mirrors the dilemmas of young adults trying to reconcile love, work, family, commitment and multiple choices in an uncertain world.
The central character's warmth and wisdom is sustained in every changing scenario and gives voice to the author's own perceptive, humane view of life in all its richness, tragedy and joy.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not one for me!, 1 Mar. 2014
Laura T (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: If You're Not the One (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having recently read Nicola Doherty's fabulous If I Could Turn Back Time I was up for reading another chick lit with a time-bending premise. The idea behind this novel is a good one; Jennifer is given the option of seeing how all her previous relationships would have turned out had she not chosen to marry her husband Max, which allows her to reflect on what she really wants out of life. Unfortunately, If You're Not The One failed across the board for me; it's badly-written, boring, and doesn't make nearly enough out of its excellent premise.

My biggest problem with If You're Not The One was Jennifer herself. Although the structure of the novel, which flashes back and forth between her various possible lives, makes it inevitable to some extent that her choice of man would be a big factor in her life, Jennifer's parallel existences seem to be totally determined by whatever man she's with. She came across as irritating, weak and passive, with no real life goals of her own. Not only did this make her an unsympathetic heroine, but it robbed her parallel lives of much of their interest as it never seemed like we were seeing the same person in different circumstances and watching how that affected them, but instead as if we were watching a different character each time. I felt that Jennifer ought to have had ambitions outside securing a good man, both to make her a more relatable character and to give the sense that she had some agency in her life choices.

Jennifer's range of partners were no more likeable than she was, and indeed I finished the novel feeling that she had made a series of terrible choices of men throughout her life, with the only nice man clearly too good for her! Despite the multiple narrative strands, the novel still manages to wheel out every chick lit cliche going - Jennifer gets to be a teenager clubbing on the beach, a bored rich housewife and a middle-aged woman whose efforts to seduce her husband are going nowhere. None of this seemed real and the supporting cast were equally lifeless. The main message I took away from this, to be honest, was to avoid being anything like Jennifer at all costs. Indeed she actually thinks (at the ripe old age of 18): 'School, college, travelling. Next on the list was university, followed by career, marriage, babies. That was life', which sums up how little she seems to actually participate in her own decisions.

Unlike most readers, it seemed, I liked the inconclusive ending, if only because I was afraid of what choice Jennifer might make! I don't think novels have to be tied up neatly and in this case there was good reason not to offer a clear answer. However, I will not be reading anything else by Jemma Forte and I don't recommend this novel.

4.0 out of 5 stars The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, 8 Feb. 2014
ElaineG (uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: If You're Not the One (Kindle Edition)
This is a book that I found extremely entertaining. Jennifer is in a coma after an accident and finds herself in a position where she can answer the question that has been niggling at her of what her life would be like now if she had chosen to stay with any one of her three ex boyfriends instead of marrying husband Max. Would the grass have been greener on the other side of the marital fence? The story was a little confusing at first, but I soon got used to it. It is told in present time, the week leading up to the accident, flashbacks to her life with Max, as well as a series of “flashes to what might have been if ….”. You do really have to keep your wits about you a bit so as to keep each strand of the story separate in your mind.

I was soon drawn into the story and loved how each of the ex boyfriends would have offered Jennifer a very different lifestyle to the one she is living now. I particularly liked the way that Jennifer herself seems to be a slightly different person in each of her different lives, adapting to the circumstances she finds herself in.

I was hooked, wanting to know how everything would work out, not only in her alternative lives, but also in real life. I have to say I was very disappointed with the ending. It is a book that, for me, needed to be wrapped up with a bow at the end, to give me some feeling of conclusion, but it is very open ended and just left me feeling a little dissatisfied.

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been better, 18 Mar. 2014
This review is from: If You're Not the One (Kindle Edition)
I picked this book because it had been given good reviews by a couple of magazines and the story sounded interesting. It's about Jennifer who has an argument with her husband and storms out of the house to go to her best friends. However, she doesn't get there because she is knocked over by a car and ends up in a coma. Being in the coma enables her to see what her life would have been like had she stayed with ex-boyfriends. Unfortunately, I just didn't like Jennifer as a character. Also the going backwards and forwards in time took some getting used to. I kept reading hoping it would start grabbing me, but it didn't. There was an interesting twist towards the end. However, the ending was awful and didn't answer any questions raised in the book.

1.0 out of 5 stars One of the most irritating books I've read in a long time, 26 Feb. 2014
This review is from: If You're Not the One (Kindle Edition)
I was conned into buying this by a magazine review that gave it several stars. It was described as having several 'layers' but what that boiled down to was a ridiculously mixed up plot that had me constantly wondering which year I was in, what had actually happened and what was the main character dreaming during a coma, and what on earth the sequence of different lovers was in her life - both real and in dream state.

Theoretically the idea for the book is a good one but the actual delivery of it is abysmally executed, the result is very wishywashy and the actual ending not worth the journey to get there.

If You're Not the One