5.0 out of 5 stars Huge space and great back-up software.
Wow! 4TB is (at present anyway) a rather large amount of memory space isn't it! I've therefore managed to condense all of my current back-up regimes and Hard drives (for pictures, movies, talking books, documents and music into this one HUGE device.

Published 16 months ago by Uncle Barbar

Drive appeared to work fine, backed up 4tb of data using the included backup software (taking over 12hours to do it), data seemed fine.

Then switched the computer and disk on again and disk inaccessible and quite possibly and all data lost!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Worst nightmare if this is your backup (which is what it is sold as).

The particular error shown...
Published 5 months ago by M. Dodd

5.0 out of 5 stars Huge space and great back-up software., 1 Jan. 2014
Uncle Barbar (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: WD My Book 4 TB USB 3.0 Hard Drive with Backup (Accessory)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

And to be absolutely honest it is really easy given the software that comes with it. It just scans your drive from which you want to make back-ups, the types of files you want to back up and backs up all those that have changed since last back-up - at the click of a button. It's that easy. You can also decide how much of processor/memory you use up whilst doing the back-up - obviously the greater percentage you decide to use then the quicker the back-up but the more your other applications will suffer in their workings.

Obviously you can also do your own manual back-ups whenever and however you like - or just use this hard drive in any other way - like any other drive.

It did take about 3 hours to do the very first back up of all of my stuff (over 1TB) but then it just takes a few minutes next time round to check what files have changed and back the new ones up.

It's a sleek black model and about the size of a large paperback novel (perhaps one volume of Lord of The Rings or Watership Down!).

It makes backing up your precious files easy and simple - and it seems to be coming down in price quickly. I would heartedly recommend you getting one too!

What more can I say? Please post a question if I have missed off anything you wanted to know.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, especially for Macs, 21 July 2014
A. D. Wilson "Alan Wilson" (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
Good price; does the job. Quiet & fast.
For Mac users: I use Carbon Copy Cloner for backup because of the serious bug with Time Machine, that Apple have been unable to fix in the last three OS releases. CCC is better than Time Machine in a number of ways (not least that it doesn't have that bug, so it doesn't stop backing up part of your system without telling you): for instance access to the backed up files being more straight-forward (so restoring a previous version is easier) - the CCC external drive simply shows as a device with all your files listed identically to your internal drive (plus earlier versions in an archive).
But best of all: it allows the Mac to boot from the external hard drive used for CCC, so if your internal hard drive fails, just boot from the external drive and you are up & running with all your applications, files etc. If the Mac is so broken that it won't boot from an external drive, just connect it to any other Mac and boot from it. A superb feature.
The problem is that some external hard drives do not allow booting from them, including early WD drives. Western Digital themselves will not confirm which drives support booting, but I can confirm that this drive definitely does. So if you are a Mac user, go for it.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's good..., 8 Sept. 2014
Andy Craven - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: WD My Book 4 TB USB 3.0 Hard Drive with Backup (Accessory)
I recently invested in the WD My Cloud, as I'm transferring all my movies into my xbmc media centre. As the transfer takes time, I'd be rather miffed if for any reason that device failed and I had to do it all again. So I also invested in the My Book hard drive to back up all my files. It's dead easy to set up, plug into mains and then the USB on your computer and away you go really. I did install the WD Smartware - this allows you to set up the frequency of your back ups, but not much use for me I don't think. I'm wanting to use the My Cloud as the source device and copy the data from that to the My Book. The software doesn't seek to recognise the My Cloud as a source device, but for some reason would allow me to back up to that...hmmmmm.

Perhaps it's just me that's doing something wrong and perhaps my circumstances of wanting to back up from a NAS device is uncommon, but I've had to resort to drag and drop. That's fine for me, as I can copy my file structure in the NAS to the My Book so no biggy. I would say that the software does seem very easy to use if you're wanting to back up from your computer to the device. For the cash, £120 is cheap for 4TB...I'd rather pay that than lose all my data.

4.0 out of 5 stars Be careful when using it for PC backups within Microsoft O/S XP or Win 7, 8 April 2014
This review is from: WD My Book 4 TB USB 3.0 Hard Drive with Backup (Accessory)
I purchased this for the purpose of Full PC backups and data backups. I've only had this ext. hard drive for a few weeks, so it's far too early to tell how reliable it is... The proof will be when/if I need to restore.
However the following issue has arisen that you may wish to consider before buying - This is not a reason not to buy!.

A problem backing up to this disk drive occurs when using Microsofts own backup utility packed with Win7 pro or NTnackup provided with Windows XP, as MS backup software canot cope with extenal Large Drives. Anything bigger than 2.2tb. It's something to do with the new Large drive formatting / Partition geometry - Advanced format disks (4kb/4kb Physical/Logical sectors vs /512b/512b or 4kb/512b) and MBR vs GPT.

If you need to use Microsofts own supplied backup utility provided within Win 7 or nt backup provided with Win XP you may need to reformat this drive.

This drive will work without reformating using 3rd Party software, but the Smartware backup utility provided on this drive, by Western Digital seems serverely limited and the "Acronis for WD" option also provided albeit for free is not the full Acronis true image or backup edition so you may decide as I did, to invest in a reliable 3rd part disk imaging software (I chose macrium reflect, but IFW would be just as good. I've had numerous problems with Acronis in the past)

Given Microsoft ditching support for Win XP the need to have your legacy XP PC properly backed to protect your data and any bespoke or Legacy applications is actually very important.

This is not a reason not to buy this drive, and the same problem occurs with other brands, Just be careful that you have your Operating System/ backup utility software and Ext backup drive synchronised!

5.0 out of 5 stars Xbox one, 5 Jun. 2014
This review is from: WD My Book 4 TB USB 3.0 Hard Drive with Backup (Accessory)
Bought this to use with the xbox one since the update that allowed you to use external storage, superb very happy with this it's small (about the same size as a lord of the rings paperback) powerful and more than enough storage meaning I haven't got to uninstall a game every time I buy a new one. Easy to set up just went to settings on xbox one then system the storage and format after that it was ready to go. For anyone wondering the actual storage available is 3.6TB

5.0 out of 5 stars ... WD drives now for several years and found them excellent with Mac commuters, 30 Aug. 2014
aeptypog "aeptypog" (Stoke-on--Trent, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: WD My Book 4 TB USB 3.0 Hard Drive with Backup (Accessory)
I have used WD drives now for several years and found them excellent with Mac commuters. My photo libraries were getting too large for my current WD drives so I invested in the 4 TB USB 3.0 drive. To date I have found jot very good and file transfers appear to be fast and efficient between computer and drive.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value and does the job - build quality less good than previous MyBooks, 18 Sept. 2014
This review is from: WD My Book 4 TB USB 3.0 Hard Drive with Backup (Accessory)
Happy with this, which I've owned for quite a few months now - it's my main onsite backup (Time Machine on a Mac) which took a LONG time to set up, since I reformatted and encryted the whole 4TB. Now it's all done, it just does the job and it's nice and quiet. Only four stars as the build quality is definitely not as good as the previous two MyBooks I have owned... I guess that's why it's so cheap! My sense is just to be a bit more careful with the casing and sockets.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disk works but Smartware software useless and give false sense of data security, 11 Nov. 2014
M. Dodd - See all my reviews

The particular error shown is listed in the WD knowledgebase but for mac computers not win 8.1 which is the os i am using. Suspect they have released updated firmware or software without testing it properly.
Will improve my rating if their support team manage to rescue the data, otherwise it gets the worst marks possible as this is the worst thing a disk can go - give you peace of mind of a full backup then destroy the data without warning.

I have now edited the review 22/11/2014 as the disk has magically started working again, something to do with restarts and updates etc. However it still gets a very low rating because it is sold as a backup disk and the enclosed 'Smartware' which is supposed to do the backup automatically excludes a number of filetypes that are vital, you think you have everything backed up only to discover that all the shortcuts have not been backed up because they are one of the filetypes that it can't backup. Perhaps its just me but I rely heavily on shortcuts to avoid duplicating large files, it would take many months to recreate the shortcuts in all the working directories - so much for it being a backup system.

Will have to buy proper backup software not rely on the stuff WD provides.

Kept trying various fixes and updates to the smartware software but it kept failing even after reformatting the disk and numerous contacts with support. Many people have the same problem on the WD forum, do not use this software as it gives a false sense of security.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works fine so far, 26 Jun. 2014
Mr. J. Burt "James Burt" (Kingston Upon Thames) - See all my reviews
Works fine so far, three weeks in. Good speed over USB 3. Only thing on my wish list is that it had an on/off switch. I don't use it as time machine and even eject the drive before I put my imac to sleep, but it still seems to keep working and revving itself up when not in use which is really annoying. These things need rest! So after use and ejection I pull the power cord out of the back. Install an on/off switch like other drives, WD, and then I can power it down properly!

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, 25 Aug. 2014
Very easy to set up and all was going great but after 3 months it failed, now says that it is corrupt and that I need to format it losing all my data - I expected this type of product to be very robust and last more than 3 months!!!!

WD My Book 4 TB USB 3.0 Hard Drive with Backup