1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Something Special, 14 Nov 2013
This review is from: Dutiful: a love story of consensual sadomasochism (Kindle Edition)
In a market that's flooded with endless cheap 50 Shades knock-offs, this novel really stands out as something special. I was taken by surprise at how much insight and understanding it has into its characters. I feel like I learned a lot about myself! Be warned, it is written in a style that requires an intelligent reader - but I managed! It is a book I shall re-read in the future, it has so many fascinating ideas in it that I am sure it will be worth reading more than once.

The story is about Izzy, who has a very nice lifestyle with her husband Gabe, an important part of which is the sexual role play that they enjoy together. Gabe is the dominant and Izzy is the submissive. The story then introduces other characters, especially Izzy's boss at work, Lilith. We discover that Lilith is contemplating a relationship with a man where she would be the dominant and he would be the submissive. But Lilith is frightened to pursue the relationship because she thinks there is something wrong with people who like sadomasochism.

So a lot of the novel is about the contrast between Izzy and Gabe's successful relationship and the things that can make a relationship of this sort go wrong as a result of someone (i.e. Lilith) not being able to accept their own sexuality and being frightened by cultural taboos, etc. This really got me thinking!

Things then get even more interesting when we find out that Izzy has a secret desire to start a sadomasochistic relationship with Lilith! I won't say any more because it would spoil the plot but this all builds up to a climax as Izzy gets closer and closer to confessing her own masochistic feelings toward Lilith. It had me on the edge of my seat at times!

But what surprised me most about the book was how romantic it was - really breathtaking - Izzy's relationship with Gabe is a real love story. It is the love they share that I'll remember most about this book, which is something I wasn't expecting from a book on this subject. Highly recommended!