5.0 out of 5 stars Full to the brim with love and laughter
Having never previously read any of Fiona’s books, I was looking forward to discovering a new author and getting lost in her words and, getting lost in the words is exactly what happened with this book.
Published 12 months ago by Blabbering Bookseller

3.0 out of 5 stars Sweet
*Book provided by publisher on NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

“What do you need a boyfriend for? You’re a mum.”

Published 10 months ago by Simona Elena

5.0 out of 5 stars Full to the brim with love and laughter, 20 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Take Mum Out (Kindle Edition)
Take Mum Out is a laugh a minute book about single mother Alice who with two teenage sons, a job and a meringue business, has little time for a love life. When her group of friends decide they want to help Alice out and arrange three dates for her, she is hesitant but decides with her children growing up she deserves someone to spend the rest of her life with. What follows is Alice navigating the dating scene and between trips to Paris, discovering a naked bum on her thirteen year old son’s computer and a stained Liz Earle face cloth; she learns that finding love might not actually be that hard.
Alice was a fantastic protagonist and even though I couldn’t relate to her in certain ways (being a single mother, edging towards forty) I still felt as though I was able to connect with her. She was a really honest woman and I loved how she wasn’t the perfect size eight with perfect features: she was a real woman who was so refreshing and whilst she saw herself as flawed, I found her to be the faultless representation of a modern woman! The other cast were great additions and I really loved the juxtaposition between the men she meets – they all bring something different to the table and all show that loving yourself has to come before someone else loves you.
Alice’s teenage sons were well written characters and bought a myriad of new elements to the plot and perhaps some of the most laugh-inducing scenes. There is something so awkwardly funny about teenage boys in fiction!
Fiona’s writing style is well honed and I felt her mark all the way throughout the book. There was a constant and consistent pace which kept me glued to the pages, eager to find out what would happen next. One aspect I really loved was the un-predictability of the plot: I wasn’t sure where Alice would end up by the end of the book which was refreshing – so often in this genre you can predict the plot easily. I was really satisfied with the book’s conclusion and would actually love to know what happens to these characters in the future!
After reading this really fantastic offering from Fiona, I am eager to go back and read her previous novels and I look forward to plenty more books from her in the future!
Take Mum Out is the funniest book I’ve read so far this year. Full to the brim with love and laughter, this book is one that needs to be on your TBR pile this year!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun read, 13 Mar. 2014
ElaineG (uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Take Mum Out (Kindle Edition)
I was chuffed to bits to win this book in a Goodreads giveaway, as I have already got one of the authors' books and had a fairly good idea of what to expect and I wasn't disappointed. This is a fun, easy to read book which really made me chuckle a few times whilst reading it. I suspect it will find its way into a few beach bags this year, and deservedly so, it is perfect for a holiday read - good fun and entertaining, but a story that you don't have to puzzle over, just relax and enjoy. Alice is approaching her 40th birthday, a single parent and mother of two teenage boys, Fergus and Logan. Her three friends decide that it is time she started dating again and a plan is cooked up whereby they will each provide one single, eligible bachelor for her to date by the end of the book. Will she like any, or all of them? Will her sons put a spanner in the works? Her sons are 16 and 13, very similar ages to mine and I really identified with her in this respect. Oh the joy of opening a bedroom door and then having to brave the elements inside to decide what made that disgusting smell! And yes, even though they can be totally gross, there are times when our sons are really all the company we need.

The story flows well, it is witty, funny and entertaining, and I was kept guessing right up to nearly the end. Highly recommended for those times when you just want your reading to be fun!

5.0 out of 5 stars A good fun read., 16 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Take Mum Out (Kindle Edition)
This must be the month for, " books to make you laugh out loud." I don't think I've ever read so many.
This is the first book by Fiona Gibson that I've read although she has written many and they all look as much fun as her latest is.
Alice has been a single mum of two boys for the past six years after splitting with their feckless father. She works as a school secretary and is now staring a business from home making meringues to sell to shops.
Alice has not really been on the dating scene and after one disastrous date is scared of trying again. She feels even more downhearted when she opens a house magazine to find her ex and his new wife and perfect daughter spread across the pages showing off their beautiful house and talking about their great business. Three of Alice's best friends decide to sort her out and each pick a man for her to date, after all they know her best. Nothing ever goes smooth in the search for true love and Alice has to kiss some toads before she finds her prince, not helped much by her two teenagers Fergus and Logan.

I didn't expect to enjoy this book as much as I did. I'm well past the dating stage in life having been married for more years than I can remember and reading about dating can be rather boring. I was wrong, Fiona Gibson drew me into the story and I went on the Alice's dating journey with her. I loved how she threw
caution to the wind and flew to Paris, what happened to her there would probably been my story too.
I felt her hurt and anguish when her son wanted to leave home. I hoped that each date might find her the love of her life and was disappointed with her when things didn't go to plan. I rejoiced at a happy ending with a great big grin on my face. I loved reading about Alice and her family and as usual when I enjoy a book I want a sequel, please.

4.0 out of 5 stars Take Mum Out - now!, 15 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Take Mum Out (Paperback)
I'm glad to be able to say that Fiona Gibson belongs to the authors that for sure are going to deliver a great, funny, easy read without creating an exaggerated story. I have read all of her books and have enjoyed all of them, maybe because they are about situations and issues that are close to my heart, and maybe because Fiona Gibson is a great storyteller, or maybe both of the things.

Take Mum Out is about Alice, mum to two teenager sons, working as a school secretary and also starting her own business Sugar Mummy, making and selling meringues. She is still in touch with her ex, who has now a new family, but takes care about Logan and Fergus as well. No need to say that her private life is actually non - existent and, according to her sons, she actually doesn't need any boyfriend because "she's a mum". But well, Alice is alive, isn't she, and she wants to enjoy her life as well. So her three best friends have this idea that they are going to send her on three blind - dates with a man that they are going to choose.
Well, it sounds so simple, but as usually life has its own ideas and gets in the way. The blind dates were ranging, as expected, not from the very ordinary, but rather from the very ridiculous to much more hilarious.
While I enjoyed them immensely, I think it's a pity there were only three men and three dates. I love reading about blind dates, and I would really love to see more of them in this book.

I enjoyed the story told from Alice's point of view, and I enjoyed Alice herself. She was very likeable woman, full of warmth and joy, I adored her sense of humour and the fact that she had a lot of distance to herself just made her more likeable for me. Her relationship with her boys was brilliant and she managed really fantastic with two teenagers. It was great how laid - back she was to her sons although she has had her worries and problems related with the boys. She was greatly coping with her work and her meringues business although sometimes she felt that heaven is falling down on her head, especially when Logan wanted to move out.
The character of Alice's mother was one of the best in this book, she was hilarious but also a woman of a big heart and her interactions with Molly were one of the best in this book.
Logan and Fergus were two very special boys, they were brilliantly portrayed, there was nothing forced in their descriptions and this is really how the teenagers behave. I liked them both but I must admit that I have a lot of respect for Logan, who - although typical teenager - was able to see his faults and recognize them and well, he could communicate like a human being, even with his own mother.
Alice's friends were also great. Each of them had their own problems and their own story, which were mentioned in the plot, and although they were significant for the characters they were not too overwhelming. We knew what they were coping with and I kept my fingers crossed for them, but they didn't overshadow Alice and her own plot. And well, thanks to them we had those blind - dates!
The three man were very different characters and actually I liked all of them, sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less but all of them added spice and comic value to the story. It's a real shame that there were only three men and so few dates.

The book shows not only Alices's blooming and full of hope romances but also the relationships between her and her sons, her ex, friends, mother and they were all brilliantly written and pictured, each of them added some joy and importance to the book.

The idea of the book isn't new perhaps, woman going on blind dates with hope to find Mr. Right, while there is her work and children waiting at home who don't make it easier for her, but nevertheless it has worked out for me. There are no over the top ideas in this book which is another plus, the situations are being kept down to earth, everything is so normal, but Fiona Gibson gives normal a face - lifting.
She's funny, she delivers many laughs but also has something to say and writes with certainty and reliability, she knows what she's writing about. She writes the truth with such honesty that it hurts, but in a funny way. Comfort and down - to - earthness dominate in the story but perhaps thanks to those things I enjoyed it immensely. There was a gentleness in this story, nothing was too forced, everything was flying, from page to page, from word to word. This book didn't need any additional fireworks, I am buying it as it is.

Copy provided by publisher in exchange for a review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, annoying and a little bit sad., 1 April 2014
This review is from: Take Mum Out (Paperback)
Fiona's new book is a must read if you have teenagers but even if you don't! It's witty and written in a way that makes you want to read " just one more chapter". Enjoyed it very much as I have done her others and can't recommend it enough... Except if you are dieting. All that talk of meringues had me craving!

5.0 out of 5 stars A giggle fest, 3 April 2014
This review is from: Take Mum Out (Kindle Edition)
I began reading two books on the same day and Take Mum Out is the one I couldn't put down. In fact, I giggled so much while reading it in bed that I woke my other half up. No, my pelvic floor didn't give up - my other half is just a light sleeper.

It's not all giggles though - there's some really poignant stuff in there. This is the first Fiona Gibson novel I've read and I'm looking forward to reading more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully funny and uplifting read, 17 Mar. 2014
DizzyC "carol36" (East Anglia, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Take Mum Out (Paperback)
Alice is a single mum with 2 teen boys. Her friends want to see her back on the dating scene, after all she is still eligable.
A bit of role reversal here as Alice is not so worried about the boys' dating but the boys are worrying about her.

With some great insights into how getting back into the dating scene as a single mum may be not only daunting but quite funny and eye opening. Have been there and done that, so could identify with Alice and her "dates".

Wonderfully funny but also uplifting read for any single mums out there who might think that their dating days are over. Also an entertaining read for any mum of teens.

4.5 out of 5 for me! Loved it!

review copy

3.0 out of 5 stars Sweet, 21 May 2014
*Book provided by publisher on NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

“What do you need a boyfriend for? You’re a mum.”

Tha’s how Fergus, one of Alice’s son reacts on her going on dates. I love books involving children and this time it was a little different, because Logan and Fergus are already teenager. It was great to get an insight to family life though, I really enjoyed it.
Alice’s a single mom, working as a secretary at a school and having her little meringues business. Then there are her boys, I loved the three oft hem together.

It took my a while to get into the story though. I can’t really say why, because there were some really funny parts and I like Fiona’s writing.

It was interesting followinging Alice’s story and reading about her dates. The dates seemed a little unreal for me and unfortunately Alice’s feelings didn’t come through. She seemed to enjoy the dates and felt a spark and then suddenly it was over. Some decisions were made a little bit too fast form y taste.

Next to Alice’s dating stories, she had to deal with her boys and also their day, so plenty was going on, sometimes almost a little too much.

Alice’s best friends are great. It’s so lovely of them to send her on different dates and we are really kept wondering with whom Alice’s was going to end up. Let’s just say, she made the right choice.

There were some adorable scenes in this book, especially the ones including children, so sweet. On Alice’s birthday the story finally clicked with me and was so glad. Alice has got wonderful friends and amazing sons.

Fiona’s writing is hilarious, sweet and adorable.

Rating: 3.5

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic, Fun Loving Book, 15 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Take Mum Out (Paperback)
Thank you to the wonderful Avon Books for the very early copy! Today is the publication date for Take Mum Out and I can’t wait for everyone else to read it. Take Mum Out is set in Edinburgh which instantly made me love the narrative that little bit more as Edinburgh is my favourite city. It was an immediate grasp for me.

When we meet Alice, she is setting up her own meringue business, but needs the green light from Erica who is a health inspector. Erica doesn’t like having sons and each time she falls pregnant, she prays it isn’t a boy. I thought it was brilliant that Fiona included this because Alice has two sons; Logan and Fergus and they’re hysterical. It’s made quite clear that Alice’s mad and hectic life is run by her two sons and when she goes on a date, they’re all she can think of. I did hope that after a while, she’d learn how to have some fun and relax.

I howled with laughter quite a lot during the narrative and I can’t wait for you all to read the little incident about Alice’s face cleansing towel and poo. Yes, that’s right – poo. It’s childish of me to laugh but bloody hell, my eyes were streaming with tears.
Overall, I thought the book was superb and I can’t wait to read more of Fiona’s books! Go and treat your Mum this Mothers Day to a copy because she’ll absolutely LOVE it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dating, 15 July 2014
This review is from: Take Mum Out (Kindle Edition)
Single Mum Alice has devoted her life to bringing up her two now teenage sons. Her three best friends decide its time for her to get back out there and join the dating scene. Enjoyable read flowed well, good characters, humour and romance.

Take Mum Out