5.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable read
Published 11 months ago by jackie

3.0 out of 5 stars Good if you like unravelling mysteries?
I enjoyed the originality of The Detective's Daughter but found this sequel a little irritating. In particular, while Jack's character was a curiosity in the first book it rankled in this.

It could just be that I wouldn't normally read standard 'detective' books so don't be put off if you do!

Notwithstanding, I enjoyed the flashbacks and kept reading...
Published 8 months ago by A. K. Carlton

5.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable read, 23 April 2014
jackie (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ghost Girl (Detective's Daughter Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
I don't usually write reviews but felt I had to in this instance. I read the first book, The Detective's Daughter, and thought what a great book that was and looked forward to Ghost Girl, and it didn't disappoint. A very good plot, a bit different from the usual with quite a few twists and turns. The main characters, Stella and Jack are developing very nicely and I do have to admit a soft spot for Jack. All in all one of the best books, indeed series, I have read, and although only just out cannot wait for "part three"

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!, 13 May 2014
This review is from: Ghost Girl (Detective's Daughter Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
Another gem of a tale from this Sussex based author. Yet again she has linked the past and the present and as the story progresses the two worlds merge together to create a very satisfying, absorbing read that I really didn't want to end.

This is the second story in which the two main characters, Stella and Jack, solve a cold case; the opening clues for which are found in a blue folder in Stella's late father's house. However, this is not your average run of the mill detective novel, it's also more about why the various characters behave in the way that they do and how the past makes people what they are in the present. Again the author takes a significant event (the sentencing of the Moors murderers) and links it to the killing of a young boy, Michael Thornton; and the effect his death has on people over 40 years later. The characters are beautifully drawn and as the book starts very slowly you get to know and understand each of the characters as they develop. Her eye for the detail of childhood and the way in which children relate to each other and their parents is very well described and brought back many memories of my childhood in the early 1960's.

Although it's not essential to have read her earlier novel The Detective's Daughter in order to enjoy this book, it does help as it provides some very useful background material to Stella and Jack's characters, how they came to meet and team up together.

I understand that there is another novel in the pipeline and I can't wait for it to be published. In the meantime I will have to reread this one, if only to pick up some of the clues that I might have missed.

5.0 out of 5 stars great read, 18 April 2014
This review is from: Ghost Girl (Detective's Daughter Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
This is the 3rd Lesley Thomson book I've read. I looked out for it and bought it as soon as I could. It's one of those books that I can't put down, but at the same time, I don't want it to end. Convoluted plot, eccentric characters, fabulous scene setting, and lots of signposting and red herrings leave you guessing to the end. Smashing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good if you like unravelling mysteries?, 19 July 2014
This review is from: Ghost Girl (Detective's Daughter Book 2) (Kindle Edition)

Notwithstanding, I enjoyed the flashbacks and kept reading to untangle the puzzle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic edge of your seat thriller that keeps you guessing ..., 11 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Ghost Girl (Detective's Daughter Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
Fantastic edge of your seat thriller that keeps you guessing right to the end. A wonderful narrative and fantastic character development, even the father who is the dead detective. The daughter takes on his personal interest cases for the second time and presents the job of detective as a total vocation with an interest in justice and the truth at it's heart. Loved it as much as the first.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good writing, but plot doesn't add up at the end, 5 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Ghost Girl (Detective's Daughter Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
An interesting set of characters, and by no means predictable. The flashbacks were not a problem, and I liked the alternation between viewpoints in the present. The narrative was well written and engaging. I am reluctant to post a negative review, but my problem with the ending completely outweighed the good points of the main story, I felt as if my time had been wasted trying to figure it out - a bit like when I watched "Twin Peaks" many years ago! The thing is, when you eventually find out who the killer is, and their method of murder, it doesn't make sense at all. The murder method is very unlikely to work once, let alone repeatedly, yet it is the key feature of the plot, and for that reason I felt cheated. I know it is fairly common to get to the end of a murder mystery, whether a novel or a film, thinking, "But why would they do that it that way? It doesn't make sense", and this is a good example of that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely powerful, 30 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Ghost Girl (Detective's Daughter Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
A powerful novel. The characters grew on me: I didn't quite "get" them at first, but gradually I did. Stella is a cleanliness-freak, a grieving daughter who feels more than she lets on. Jack wanders in an out of others' lives and homes, by turns lost and intuitive. There is no set pattern of who rescues who: it's a bit of both. They are human and their flaws are depicted with comprehension and compassion. Above all, they are very fully realized. The relationship between them deepens and develops over the two novels in this series. I actually felt sad to leave them and long for the next book. The setting, too, is very fully realized and atmospheric. Lesley Thomson is skilled at evocative London settings (vividly "seen" geographical locations, decay next to development and stages in between, multi-layered with traces of different "pasts"), reminding me of Nicci French's Freida Klein novels, Rendell-Vine and Frances Fyfield. She is good at a strong sense of mystery and at exploring the traces of the past in the present. Cutting between past and present events is not uncommon, but Thomson does it particularly well. In this novel, as in The Detectives Daughter, events from the past unravel in the present in unexpected ways and part of the mystery is finding out who the past character has become. One of the best crime novels I've read for ages.

5.0 out of 5 stars Its one of those books that you do not want to end., 12 May 2014
This review is from: Ghost Girl (Detective's Daughter Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
I started by thinking where is this story going.....then I read on and was hooked. Another great read for me from Lesley Thomson

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting story but a hard read., 27 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Ghost Girl (Detective's Daughter Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
Lesley Thomson has good ideas for story lines. I read her first book, The Detective's Daughter, and quite liked it so chose to read this one too. However, I found it a frustrating read for two reasons. Firstly, Lesley Thomson tends to write in a style that I'm sure makes perfect sense in her own head, but for me was like reading one riddle after another. She has a habit of writing dialogue in a way that you ask yourself 'hang on a minute, who's speaking now?' And jumping from one subject to another without any preamble so you have to work out what she's writing about. Additionally, I find the character Jack's 'habits' completely unbelievable. Despite my frustrations in ploughing through this novel, because the main premise of the story was interesting, I wanted to get to the end - but it was hard work! As a minor grumble, there were also a lot of typos - not enough proof reading going on here.

4.0 out of 5 stars More Please., 29 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Ghost Girl (Detective's Daughter Book 2) (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed the first one. Fresh ideas, slightly sinister, with good 'tight' writing, and give that a 5.
Perhaps the 2nd was more rushed - to get it out on the back of the other one. I still enjoyed it and would read more. I have also read her other book which follows a common theme, but was different and still enjoyable. Would recommend.

Ghost Girl (Detective's Daughter Book 2)