5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for Lent...
Published 5 months ago by jessica@jkp.com

2.0 out of 5 stars TOO LIGHT
NOT ENOUGH MATERIAL TO USE TO ENABLE CONTEMPLATION DURING LENT.
more depth to the daily readings would be more helpful
Published 5 months ago by Mr M J Walling

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for Lent..., 8 May 2014
This is a wonderfully exuberant book, big ideas and thoughts in the small change of everyday life, lots of ways of looking at what is in front of us all the time and finding ways to expand that thinking out of the literal and the immediate, and into something much more life enlarging. Some of it is wonderfully literal - Shrove Tuesday and eggs, but then eggs with a difference, entirely enjoyable and with the effect that you feel bigger rather than smaller for reading and thinking. I very much admire this ability to take the everyday taken-for-granted world and transform it so that the colours are brighter and the people around you are nicer and more interesting. Stephen Cherry somehow manages to reach the place at which all the great spiritual traditions, both eastern and western, meet up, without in any way losing sight of his own Christian perspective, but without imposing it either. This book shares the strengths of his earlier Barefoot Pilgrim - a book I read much of between the cracks in my fingers (aaargh, yes, I do that). I simply loved the poem in this book about being thanked - so honest, so complicated (why are we?), so utterly self-aware, but in the end how wonderful to be shown the human way simply to give in and give thanks onward to the larger reality. It is funny, human and helpful, as is so much in the book. I'm not sure all the poems entirely work as poems, but this is also something I so much liked about the book - I think we are mostly so reluctant to put ourselves on the line that reading slowly through the cycle I found myself increasingly rejoicing at a human spirit so prepared to share the journey, from which I so much benefited.

I did struggle with the constraints of Lent. Some days the poem didn't resonate. Some days I just forgot. Then I gave up, because I wanted to read forwards, and go back to things I had logged but not much felt like thinking about on the day. Now Lent is over, it is easier to read in the order it appears as more of a diary of a journey, and for me it works better like that. But in fact I think I will be going back and forth in the book for some time to come, and his note in the introduction, about how one of his early readers said that these were more like prayer 'stems', ways of unpacking some quite directed thoughts on particular subjects, is very helpful - it is a very creative way of beginning to think about something one may not have really found a way into before. Poetry does seem to do that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Putting God in the whole of life, 20 Feb 2014
A book that challanges us to put God at the centre of our everyday lives. It is both thought and action provoking. I am so looking forward to the Lent studies, that go with it, which we will be holding at our church.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 4 Jun 2014
Excellent: thought provoking and very human, these prayers speak to the heart of experience. Loved the grittiness and truth of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for a Lent course, 12 April 2014
This review is from: Barefoot Prayers: A meditation a day for Lent and Easter (Kindle Edition)
Stephen Cherry has, again, produced I an excellent book for both private prayer and as part of our parish's Lent course. Thank you Stephen.

4.0 out of 5 stars A real help, 1 April 2014
This was a good choice for Lenten meditations. Not all have been equally relevant but most have been very thought provoking and useful. I liked the introduction to each week. I used it alongside Bible readings not instead of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Readerjane1, 30 Mar 2014
Wonderful for any time of the year but ideal for Lent. Gives you something to think and pray about every day and can be used for services as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 19 Mar 2014
An inspirational book with meaningful prayers for each day of Lent. At the moment, I am part way through it, but look forward to opening it each day. Many prayers are practical, but have a meditational depth to them.
Highly recommended for personal devotional time during Lent, or beyond.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, simple, yet profound, 18 Mar 2014
A different Lenten reading from the usual books - very profound, touching and speaks of the love of Christ. Thoroughly enjoying it as my Lenten reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simplicity in Prayer, 10 Sep 2014
Beautifully and sensitively written. Prayers that can be used outside the Lenten and Easter period. Prayers that are not overpowering and difficult to understand, they are written simply and from the heart.

2.0 out of 5 stars TOO LIGHT, 27 April 2014
Mr M J Walling (CANTERBURY, Kent, GB) - See all my reviews
NOT ENOUGH MATERIAL TO USE TO ENABLE CONTEMPLATION DURING LENT.
more depth to the daily readings would be more helpful