5.0 out of 5 stars Quite an ominous tale!
Published 20 months ago by Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Interestingly Difficult
Published 22 months ago by Ann

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite an ominous tale!, 17 Nov 2012
This review is from: No Man's Land (Paperback)
I happened to stumble upon this online and thought I'd give it a shot. At first I was not so impressed; finding it hard to understand - not the language, which is fairly easy. I found the plot itself and the interaction between the characters confusing. I was not great at analysis in school (and not punctuation either - as you can see), but I decided to give it another try.

After my second attempt, analyzing as I went, I realized how compelling the characters actually were. They're all rude and tiresome, annoying and confusing... yet somehow I found their development (or perhaps lack thereof) enliven the plot. Some lines seem pointless at first, but make complete sense when gazing at the entire picture. If you enjoy having to analyze a bit (or maybe you won't have to), and find a story about a group of men all different, trying to disrupt each other's lives, then read No Man's Land. It is inspiring and haunting with a tad of sarcastic humor. Some might say it is boring and confusing, though I am positive that it can bring great inspiration to aspirating writers - being one myself. Perhaps 5 stars is a bit extreme, yet I find that it needs more than three or four - yet, this is merely my personal opinion. I wrote in the title that it was "ominous", and what do I mean? I guess I was going for the feeling I had when reading it. There is something about the insanity that slowly overcomes every character that signaled that the outcome could only be bad. I am not going to write exactly what happens, because it is difficult to describe - it can only be experienced.

Harold Pinter is a somewhat forgotten artist, but surely deserves the same remembrance as any classic playwright!

3.0 out of 5 stars Interestingly Difficult, 30 Aug 2012
This review is from: No Man's Land (Paperback)
I did like this play. I'm not sure that I can say why exactly, as it was quite the struggle figuring out what it was actually about. Not a lot of actual action going on, other than conversation. Sometimes when I thought I'd started to understand the plot and the characters, I realized I had no clue at all. I had to read this for my Literature course, and even though I didn't read it by choice I'm happy I did. It's short and seemingly easy to go through in less than a day (which it is of course), but there is just so much more to the story. Reading between the lines I found meanings I didn't know were even there, and maybe some I made up as I went along. In the end, I understood from the play that words sometimes speak louder than action, and that No Man 'owns' the Land in which we play the game of conversing. Is any of what the characters are sharing even true? Or is it all a game to try to be the better man, the better conversationist? To me, this is all about power through words rather than actions - that no matter name, status, riches and such, as long as you enter the game of conversing any man is an equal and only as good as his/her word.

I guess I'd recommend this to people interested in plays with lots of dialogues (and monologues?), and interested in language and the power that comes with it... Hard to say, but I think this is intended for those especially interested in this kind of psychological thing.

No Man's Land