5.0 out of 5 stars "Did the President call?" "No."
Published 22 months ago by Sam Woodward

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm glad to have seen it
I'm glad to have seen it, but gave it away to a friend after. It, and the thick of it, just don't quite click for me. I think I go into them hoping for political humour and find that the politics is the sit, and the com coming from the people always slightly disappoints me.
Published 2 months ago by Hamish Drummond

5.0 out of 5 stars "Did the President call?" "No.", 19 Feb 2013
Sam Woodward (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
When I first heard that an American version of The Thick of It was being made, I had very mixed feelings. Popular sitcoms from one side of the Atlantic which are remade on the other have a pretty appalling track record - if you have a masochistic streak & a strong constitution for terrible TV, try searching on YouTube for 'Dad's Army US version'. But this one had three interesting names attached to it - Armando Iannucci, Seinfeld star Julia Louis-Dreyfus & HBO.

I expected it to be just like the original but with American accents, so when I saw there was no American version of Malcolm, I was initially disappointed. But given the significant differences in the UK & USA's political systems, I see now that this simply would not have worked. Instead they have have exported the style of The Thick Of It & transplanted it to the Office Of The Vice President Of The United States. This ties in perfectly with TTOI's rationale since the role of veep is intrinsically absurd. While the job title of Vice President suggests a similar amount of responsibility to, say, the Deputy Prime Minister, apparently the veeps' entire role is to be ready to stand in if the President dies. And that's pretty much it - stood within reach of the seat of power, the VP has very little power of their own. They are generally given some work to do but it's mostly just to keep them busy. And while the President claims the credit for the VP's successes, the VP naturally gets the blame for their failures.

Veep's success owes a lot to Julia Louis-Dreyfus, who superbly conveys the veeps' insincerity via a dazzling array of blatantly fake smiles. The supporting cast are excellent & include Anna Chlumsky of In the Loop fame. The cultural differences are clear to see, with a couple of the veep's team being pathologically career focussed while others are cringingly sycophantic & in good old TTIO tradition, some are just incompetent. Events occur at breakneck speed so it's difficult to keep track of at first but like TTOI, I found this meant that rewatching it is particularly rewarding.

This excellent series is different enough from the original to have its own identity, while retaining the stylistic elements which made The Thick Of It one of my all-time favourites. Nevertheless, it feels a lot more 'safe' & not as hard-hitting as the original.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, clever, lively, cynical comedy, probably closer to reality than we would like to think, 14 Oct 2014
Legal Vampire (Buckinghamshire, England) - See all my reviews
Enjoyable, clever, lively, cynical comedy about an imaginary woman Vice President of the USA and her staff.

Good cast. I especially like sweet little Anna Chlumsky (she pronounces it 'Chumsky') as Amy, with her wonderfully expressive facial expressions and body postures.

Are politics & government really like this? Speaking as an ex-Whitehall Civil Servant (some years ago) who had slight exposure to government ministers, I would guess the answer is 'yes and no', but it is probably closer to reality than we would like to think.

Only 8 episodes this season but a lot of extras, mostly well worth watching especially, the 'Chung episode 'Apology' scene and the episode commentaries, with the show's Scottish-Italian creator Armando Iannucci and the main cast members. These are mostly great fun to listen to, and sound as though the cast enjoyed recording them too, although there may be slightly too many commentaries (12 in total).

5.0 out of 5 stars Daniwah!, 11 Jun 2014
S. G. Craig "Reanimator" (Merseyside) - See all my reviews
Veep is a wonderfully produced political satire that has me, quite literally, laughing out loud. Julia Louis-Dreyfus is as amazing as you'd expect and in fact the whole cast are top-notch. This is already one of my favourite comedy series to easily rank alongside such classics as Curb Your Enthusiasm and Arrested Development.

5.0 out of 5 stars especially when the VP is running with her team like Nicola Murray in a manic moment to try and ..., 8 Sep 2014
Initially a slow starter but as I grew to know the characters I appreciated the sharpness of the writing. It has all the hallmarks of the Thick of It, especially when the VP is running with her team like Nicola Murray in a manic moment to try and be where the action is but has not been invited. Will buy the other seasons in due course.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Special Relationship, 29 Oct 2014
Iain (Switzerland) - See all my reviews
In some ways it even tops The Thick of It. To a certain extent Malcolm dominated the fun with his completive expletive, although some of the tiniest gags were the best. In the US version the writers have had to step up the main ensemble and they've succeeded. Add in some superlative acting and directing, and, well, Mr Iannucci has the world at his feet. Episodes 6 & 7 alone are worth the price of the DVD. Brit production, US actors & distribution - the new special relationship?

5.0 out of 5 stars Not quite The Thick Of It. Different, but close, very close, 23 April 2014
Alan Jones (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Veep (DVD)
I was sceptical of the growing reputation of this series. With Armando Iannucci involved a high level of quality seemed guaranteed. It took me about 20 minutes to become comfortable with the speed of the dialogue, the quick fire profanities and to establish the various characters.

After the first episode I watched the rest of the series in two 'sittings'. As with The Thick Of It, despite the machinations and convoluted plotting, because of the excellence of the writing and acting I found myself developing an empathy with the characters, despite at times some comic-book stereotyping. Jonah Ryan, as the White House liaison to the Veep's office is Basil Fawlty incarnate in the level of his grotesqueness. There is not a hint of pretentiousness here.This series is a true classic of its genre. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny US sitcom. Have to buy season two now!, 22 Sep 2014
L. Stewart (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Humourous, intelligent US sitcom. It's on HBO so the blue language does fly around. Done by the same guy that did The Thick of It. It's not quite as good and snappy as that but it is very good in its own right. Binged and watched the entire first series (8 episodes) on one night. Very doable.

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm glad to have seen it, 22 Oct 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart, 25 Nov 2013
Mark Jones "jonesy000000" (London) - See all my reviews
The cast is excellent and the humour comes quicks and fast, although it is subtle rather than out and out jokes. I don't tend to watch extras so I can't comment on these but if you're looking for a intelligent, quick witted sit com then this is perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars My new favourite show for 2012, 30 Jun 2012
Mr. L. W. Dalgleish "thebellstud" (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
Well at the time of writing this I have only seen a couple of episodes but I am definitely liking this show. Having not watched "The Thick of It" I can't compare the shows but i did laugh at the situations and the way the characters behaved with one another. I also was partially shocked by the amount of foul language but I did find it funny rather than inappropriate. Definitely a show I would buy on DVD and watch again. The cast are very good, Julia Louis-Dreyfus is a brilliant actress. While not a fan of Seinfeld, I have seen her in various other things and always thought she was great. I love the fact that "Buster" from "Arrested Development (fantastic show) is also amongst the cast, as is "My Girl" herself, Anna Chulmsky (sp?)
I hear the show has already been picked up for a second season so I hope this has a decent run.

Veep - Season 1