Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Learn More Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

Flavour: Fruit Punch|Change

on 4 November 2014
Spending £20-30 testing quite a few products over the past few years I've settled on Optimum Platinum pre-workout as my choice. Going with 2 scoops it gives me a good few hours of energy to do a heavy weight workout without any issues.

It mixes well and seems not to have too many "fillers" in it so although there is a slight chalky texture it's not overbearing unlike some other products which make you gag. Taste is ok.

Personally speaking it does have a few negatives as well. I likely need the toilet about 45 mins after because it loosens up the bowels and goes right through the plumbing. Never anything that has effected my workout and I'm not usually the type whose diet instantly affects their continence.
on 4 July 2014
I had never taken Pre-workout before so this review has no comparisons, but for a first time user I have to say that this was pretty good.

I took a whole scoop (forgot to test for tolerance) and I found that it lifted my workout a lot without making me feel uncomfortable or as if I was on anything unnatural. I was able to sustain the whole workout and even went up a weight set on some of my normal routine.

One criticism is that the effects wore off about 3/4 into my workout, (after about an hour from taking it, including the 15 minute gap between consumption and finishing my warm up).

For a first time user I would definitely suggest this product, and I didnt get any of the spicy taste that I had read in the reviews previous to buying this.

Pros:
- great taste
- Lifted workout
- didn't feel unnatural.

Cons:
- didnt last the whole workout (by 10-15 minutes)
on 23 February 2015
Used this pre-workout for around 2/3 months after upgrading from its predecessor. Overall good product, easy to mix and taste isn't too bad, although it does leave a sort of peppery after taste.

You definitely get a kick from this and you can feel it after about 20 minutes of drinking it, not the best pre workout I've tried as it does give me a bit of an upset stomach afterwards, but that may be to do with using protein simultaneously!
on 23 May 2016
I would say that I have a slightly unhealthy obsession with Pre-Workout drinks. As someone who loves any form of caffeine I have often tried to find the product that would give me the biggest buzz. Optimum Nutrition's Platinum Pre does more than just that.

I'm a runner and I lift weights and I don't think I would ever choose to enter a workout without using this product. When I'm running ON Pre gives me the energy but most importantly it brings me a level of focus which allows me to run further and run faster and I know that it sounds corny but if I run without it I will have a slower pace and likely to head home sooner.

Due to one of the active ingredients within the product I often will feel a prickly sensation on my skin, though this usually only happens if I haven't used it in a while and is completely harmless, from my understanding. I would suggest avoiding using more than the package suggests (1 scoop per serving, no more than 2 scoops a day) as I used to double scoop but this lead to stomach cramps afterwards, this is my fault not the product's).

ON provide a few different pre-workout options, but the Platinum is by far the most effective. It also tastes amazing. I have only ever stuck to the Fruit Punch flavour, but it tastes good enough that I have never felt like I need to move on from it.
on 29 April 2016
All in all, a good preworkout; on to the details.

FLAVOUR
I normally have Raspberry Lemonade but thought I'd try something different..... Fruit Punch is absolutely disgusting. Honest to god I could taste sick from it... which didn't help when I was trying to chug it down. Knocks a star off but I accept that this could just be due to taste, some people could enjoy it... I certainly don't.

PERFORMANCE
As expected from ON products, it's spot on. It is a good contender for my favourite preworkout. 320mg of caffeine wakes me up well for morning gym sessions and the Capsicum Extract does make you sweat quite a bit. Good for waking you up and getting you in the zone. Biting down on a bit of the Capsicum Extract is pretty terrible though, spices up your whole mouth.. not a nice taste. Weighing 90+kg, the Beta Alanine does not give me tingles, those who weight less may feel it and either like it or hate it, just a warning in case you think you're somehow dying to the preworkout, nothing to worry about.

All in all, great preworkout in terms of performance, knocked a star off due to the seriously bad flavour. Does not prevent me from buying Raspberry Lemonade though.
on 19 March 2016
There is a certain amount of hype around pre-workout stimulants. The main controversy has been what the actual ingredients are and how they actually effect you. They do, however, do exactly what they aspire to but I imagine the health benefits long term are minimum.
If you need a "pump" or a bit of "get up and go" then I believe this is the best product out there. And there are alot out there.
Optimum Nutrition is a name that is synonymous with training hard and supplementing well and probably a name that you can trust above others in a very competitive market.
on 23 April 2016
Haven't been on pre workout for a long while and after a bit of research decided to try Optimum Platinum. It gives me an absolute massive buzz and I have been able to lift without fatiguing in the gym so much better. Tastes absolutely fine for the majoirty of the drink, HOWEVER as you get to the final dregs you get the capsicum capsules, a concentrated chili extract floating around at the bottom which make the last gulp incredibly spicy. Giving five stars anyway because this is an extremely good product; just be wary of the last sip if you cannot handle spice!!
on 22 August 2014
Would never use anything else apart from Platinum Pre. The way I like to describe it when asked is 'Rocket fuel for humans'. You can get up, hungover out of your mind and on an empty stomach, have a portion of this, and run like Usain Bolt afterwards.

Need to be watchful that you're not taking it in day-in day-out, as with anything, the more you use it the less effective it becomes. I try to avoid using it unless there's absolute need for it, but when you do you notice the difference 100%.

If you're struggling to decide a flavour.. it's gotta be this or Raspberry Lemonade - both lovely.
on 24 June 2015
I love this pre training supplement. I've used many others including:
BSN - No Explode
Gamma Labs - G Fuel
Axis Labs - Hemodraulix
Optimum Nutrition - Amino Energy
Arnold - Iron Pump
Evlution nutrition - ENGN
Cellucor - C4
VPX

This is by far my favourite, its slightly high in calories in comparison to others but it tastes great and works great.
on 12 June 2014
I said five because I met my expectations, I will buy it again as soon as I run out of the product.

See one answered question