5.0 out of 5 stars Finally get to play this after a 9/10 year wait!!!
Ive literally been waiting years for the chance to play this game again, since selling my ps2 to afford my ps3..... and WOW it was worth the wait!

The HD in this game looks absolutely amazing, even after all these years I can see the difference, when Wakka hands Tidus his brothers sword the effects on the sword are amazing.

Admittedly Ive only just...
Published 13 months ago by Marc

3.0 out of 5 stars Master? I think not.
As someone who absolutely love's the original FFX I was sure I'd love the remaster but it isn't to be.

Published 18 days ago by All1089 - Compulsive Collector...

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally get to play this after a 9/10 year wait!!!, 25 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster (PS3) (Video Game)

Admittedly Ive only just reached Kilika after the sin attack but im massively enjoying the game so far, you have no idea the relief when I heard Besaids music after battling my way through Zanarkand and the ruins, this for me is the most tedious part of the game due to the amount of cut scenes and tutorials, once you leave Besaid though the adventure truly begins! Meeting the likes of Kimahri, Lulu, Rikku and numerous other characters! For me Lulu was my favourite character as she was insanely powerful from the beginning.

Lets not lie, the game is very linear for the first 15-20 hours but it does open up massively with loads of additional side quests. However, the story driven throughout the game is very compelling. Tidus, son of Jecht is thrust into a world unknown to him by an entity only known as Sin, he quickly realises that this is no dream and makes allies with Yuna, a Summoner who has been selected to travel the lands to defeat Sin, they are accompanied by her 'guardians' who each have their own ability and perks. Tidus/Wakka are warriors, Yuna is a summoner/white mage, Lulu is a Black mage, Rikku is a Thief, Auron is a Guard/Warrior and Kimahri is a Blue mage.

The Character development in this game is amazing, you see Tidus turn from a stroppy loud boy in a strong wise man, along the course of the game as well you notice that he changes his stance in battle when he matures. We learn alot about Kimahri who doesnt speak at all!

AND YOU CAN EARN TROPHIES ON THIS GAME NOW!!!

Im still loving every minute of this game, I cant believe its 14 years old!!! WOW.

Totally recommend this remake for anyone who wants to experience this game again or anyone wanting to try it for the first time.

4.0 out of 5 stars When Squaresoft Ruled the World, 17 April 2014
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster (PS3) (Video Game)
Final Fantasy X was the last game to be developed by Squaresoft before they got swallowed up by Enix (forming Square Enix (or if you prefer; Squeenix)), and as such has earned the title of `The Last Great RPG' by some.

The comforting thing when you first start to play this re-mastered edition is that you immediately remember why. The mechanics feel like home straight away - although Tidus is far `clunkier' than the original, and the now-almost-defunct ATB battle system instantly clicks. Without sounding daft, it `feels' like a game; rather than the fetch-template-insert-Hollywood-style-scenario mechanic that governs a lot of today's offerings.

Final Fantasy X-2: the game's direct sequel (and the first Final Fantasy sequel ever), is also a great game, but it marked the transition to the new company and as such was not as well received as its predecessor.

This time around we're given the option of selecting either of the games from the main menu and separately, the option to select both titles' additional content (previously unavailable outside Japan). They are Final Fantasy X: Eternal Calm and Final Fantasy X-2: Last Mission. Presumably these are epilogue add-ons for each game, but I haven't played them yet.

Everything is there out of the box then, and in terms of the content and presentation etc, this re-master has succeeded. The in-game graphics as you'd expect have been updated significantly, and are befitting of the current generation - although not to a fully uniformed standard - some models are far better than others. In fact on first glance I thought that some of the backgrounds and peripheral details had in fact remained untouched; but after loading up my PS2 original I realised that everything has received a significant overhaul. The re-master is incredibly bright though and some of the colours look like neon signs; whereas the original is far muddier and palatable (I actually prefer this older look, but that's just me). I also can't help but think that FFX-2 looks noticeably better than FFX; but my mind may be playing tricks. Either way the graphics do look much better and crisper as a whole. It's just a matter of taste as to what `sheen' you prefer.

Some of the musical scores have also been re-recorded. Some are better; some are not, to be honest, but it's only a minor note. `To Zanarkand' in particular sounds almost piercing in its clarity and is almost jarring compared to the solemn original. But that's nitpicking to an extreme level.

Unfortunately there is also very noticeable flaw, which are the glaring sound synching problems. Several of the in-game-engine cutscenes and even some of the FMV cut-scenes in FFX are hideously out of sync - to the point where some sequences actually finish before the audio gets blurted out in a compressed muddle. It's not game breaking, but it definitely detracts from the experience. Although from what I've seen so far the problem seems to be completely random, and affects FFX more than FFX-2.

That aside though both games appear to be exactly as you remember them, and are of course a joy to play without exception. The gameplay feels spot on and my minor point's aside, these are still classic games that sit proudly in the upper echelons of the genre. Whether FFX is the last great RPG or not, this is a great collection for anybody that remembers the traditional RPG; or indeed anyone who wants to find out what they used to be like.

It's fitting then, that the PS3's generation should come to a close with the game that bridges the gap between the two generations that precede it.

8.5/10.

3.0 out of 5 stars Master? I think not., 9 April 2015
This review is from: Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster (PS3) (Video Game)

Storywise there is no change beyond the addition of the Eternal Calm to tie X and X-2 together which was nice though one fault I found was the lack of battle subtitling (when the character uses a technique for the first time and when they encounter certain enemies for the first time) which was sad as you don't always catch what they say without the visual prompt and the dialogues would tie into the story and aid character development a touch.

Visually the game is superior, I can't deny enjoying looking at all the little details that were once negligible or simply not there before but even with these improvements there are faults too. In one scene I saw Yuna's hair turn black and not just a shade or two but as black as the playstation, that never happened before.

Now for my major detractor the music. What they did to the music truly destroyed any chance of me playing this game a second time. Excellent soundtrack's have always been a staple in Final Fantasy games and the original was no exception. The remastered soundtrack is a pale imitation of the original, some tracks are forgivable but so many are not and they fail to mesh with the scenes they accompany. The battle themes have to be good otherwise the constant stream of battle becomes tedious to the point of quiting, the area themes have to be good so you enjoy your time there exploring, the character themes have to be good so you actually care about them, the story themes have to be good or you won't feel the urge to strive forward.

For me battling became a chore, exploring tiresome, characters annoying and for the story I kept mashing X to move on as soon as possible. The only way I kept going was by watching, reading and listening to other things while playing rather than listening to the game after the mid point beyond morbid curiosity of what track had been ruined next.

You may think knocking off two stars is harsh for not liking the music but such are my feelings.

If you have played the original I recommend listening to some samples of the new music and asking yourself "Can I stick this for the sake of prettier graphics?" If you can, kudos, if not, back to the one that worked.

If you have not played the original I would advise it, however my opinion may be clouded by nostalgia so try both and decide for yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great classic, 24 April 2014
This review is from: Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster (PS3) (Video Game)
I loved this when it came out in the PS2 days and this remastered version is great. The only niggle I have is some lip syncing issues but then I did still give it 5 Stars. As I've grown up since it 1st came out I'm working through sections that I skipped past from the 10yrs previous when I played and boy did I miss a lot. I also decided to give the Blitzball mini game a try as I never really paid attention the last time and again that is really addictive and feel I really missed out last time (could they have even made a completely separate game for this maybe?). If you learn the Jecht shot near the start of the game that is a massive benefit in Blitzball games.

I never actually played X-2 so am looking forward to that after FFX, so my review is only based on the 1st game. I am aware of a lot of negative feedback on X-2 but I believe in judging something I've tried myself. I'm now crossing my fingers they will do a re-mastered version of FFXII as for me that was the last great FF game, FFXIII in my opinion was mediocre at best.

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly great game, 21 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster (PS3) (Video Game)
First off, I am a huge Final Fantasy fan...So a HD remake for two of my favourite games.....YES PLEASE!

The HD remake itself is pretty good (Although most of the NPC'S have been pulled straight from the PS2, so they do look a little out of place) with the main characters and environment looking very nice. In comparison to the original game, it is a massive step up and a joy to replay the game.

Where these games really shine though is through the storytelling - I could write on and on about how great it is....but I won't. It is engaging to the point where you feel for the characters and their plights.

Tidus & Yuna's love story - and all it entails- make for something really special.

It is a true pleasure to replay these games - Truly awesome.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tale of two X's., 29 Dec. 2014
Mr. C. E. Morton "chrismorton2002" (Fleetwood, Lancashire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster (PS3) (Video Game)
This will be a review for both games, but as you can't separate the ratings for FFX and FFX-2, I'll explain the five stars as I go along.

Final Fantasy X, for me, was my favourite and most loved Playstation game ever, and that's across all platforms. The story line was immense and emotional, the characters were fully fleshed and relatable with back stories that only added to their appeal. The game play (in my view) was excellent. I was a huge fan of the Sphere Grid leveling up system. It gave the player total control on the direction of the character's progression. You could have the main character Tidus become a White Mage if you truly wanted to.

On to the game itself. The story is set in the land of Spira, as most of you will know. Spira is a world short on technology and high on the faith and religion of Yevon. The reason for this is because of an entity known as 'Sin' who is of such catastrophic power that it ravages and destroys civilizations throughout the entire continent. It is violence incarnate.
You are Tidus, a happy-go-lucky man who plays the national sport of Blitzball (underwater basketball/handball) in the city of Zanarkand. When Sin attacks the city and destroys it, you are transported 1000 years into the future to the world that Spira has become. Where Summoners go on a pilgrimage to destroy Sin by calling forth powerful beings known as Aeons.

The game itself starts off quite linear and you are restricted in where you can go till around half way through.Yet this never feels forced, as you are immersed in the gripping storyline, learning about the world you've come to inhabit and bonding with the various different characters that Tidus joins with upon his journey.
Speaking of the characters, I found them all to be engaging and useful to the game itself. Auron and Lulu in particular were two of my favourites. Yuna - the parties' resident Summoner - provides and excellent counter-point to the 'out there' main character Tidus.

The graphics have of course been given a huge boost by the HD Remaster and it is a joy to all these old favourites given a 'face lift' for the PS3. The music is some of the best I have ever had the pleasure to listen to and has been given a tweak in some areas. It rivals Ocarina of Time and the original Golden Sun for its dramatic musical score, and I thought those were two of the best ever. The boss fights are challenging and inventive, and you don't feel like you can just breeze your way through the game - you have to dedicate hours to training your characters and some trial and error is to be expected for first time players. I've given this game alone Five Stars because it is just that good. There are easily 70+ hours of gameplay here and enough twists and turns in the story line to keep you hooked. Well recommended.

On to FFX-2. When I first heard there was a true sequel years ago to my favourite Final Fantasy, I of course got quite excited. The story of Tidus and Yuna alone inspired me to purchase the game. I was however left with the feeling of disappointment upon loading the game up and getting stuck in. Let down could be a better choice of words, also.

The story is set 2 years after the previous game and Yuna is now the main character on a quest to discover what happened to Tidus after she finds a sphere supposedly showing him. Yuna is joined by Rikku again, yet this is where the comparisons end for me. A third character (Paine, who is basically Auron and Lulu rolled into one, but without the character progression and depth) completes the trio known as The Gullwings. They are Sphere Hunters, which I found to be a bit of a bizarre job and premise for the most famous person in Spira to be doing after defeating Sin two years previously. The trio - who strongly remind me of Charlie's Angels - travel all over Spira searching for these Spheres.

I'm reminded of a saying of " If it isn't broke, do not fix it " yet SquareEnix seem to have ignored that as they merrily went on their mission to dismantle everything that made FFX great. In my eyes, if you are going to do a direct sequel to a game, you take what was good from that game - keep it - and improve on other aspects, surely? For me the Sphere Grid leveling system was excellent, yet here it has been cast aside for the 'Dress Sphere' system, which really doesn't work as well, owing to having to change class in-game at times. The outfits and costumes that come with these class changes are actually fairly ridiculous too and completely unsuitable for combat. The story line itself was also something I considered an extremely strong point in FFX, and on the box it certainly indicates that it is 'more of the same'. Instead, we get a 1000 year old copy of Tidus and Yuna and I feel the game suffers because of it.

Also gone is the linear aspect of the game and instead you can now travel to any place in Spira almost straight from the off. I'll agree with another reviewer on here who commented that in FFX Zanarkand was considered a mysterious and holy city, tinged with fear and awe. When you first arrive there in FFX and the cut-scene " A City dead for a 1000 years" kicks in, you certainly feel that. In X-2, you can travel to Zanarkand within 30 minutes of loading the game up. And it has become a tourist attraction which I found to be completely jarring and also unbelievable. No Sin or not, Zanarkand would still hold that certain awe and fear even two years later.

Also gone are the amazing villain characters like Seymour in FFX. Instead, you get three absolutely irritating idiots who do nothing but follow you around and provide literally zero drama or suspense levels. Characters like Sephiroth and Seymour added to the overall game experience, whereas these Team Rocket cast offs just detract from the already limited enjoyment.

Even with all this, I would probably give the game around Three Stars. It isn't very long and you can complete the main story in around 12 hours if you really go for it, which I did when it first came out all those years ago. (there are alternate endings that can make the game longer if you have the patience for it) It does have some redeeming features such as the graphics and the mini games which add an element of fun to the whole game itself. Yet really, it truly lets you down when it comes to the battle style and story line. It's worth buying for those want to find out the end to the story, but certainly not if you're expecting more of the same.

5.0 out of 5 stars It is as good as you remember, 2 April 2014
This review is from: Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster (PS3) (Video Game)
I love it, it's great, it took 5 minutes for me to be cracking a smile at Tidus, The characters are just spot on. Once again it's one of the few games where you actually care about what happens to these people.

Oh and my 8 year old loves it (we were late for school this morning because we needed to get to the end of that bloody long road!

FF10-2 I know less well as I never got into it first time round so this is more a review for FF10.

Anyway, great game, great value for money!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brings back great memories., 25 July 2014
Alex G. Wong - See all my reviews
This review is from: Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster (PS3) (Video Game)
I had final fantasy X on my PS2 back in the day and i loved it then. Now in the HD remaster, it looks more beautiful than ever. The cut scenes look stunning and the actual gameplay graphics is miles better than the original. Gameplay wise however has not really changed (not that i can see).

I am yet to play X-2 but I bought this just for FFX. FFX-2 seems like just a little bonus extra in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game originally, even better now!, 9 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster (PS3) (Video Game)
I bought this game when it came out on the PS2 originally, I have been wanting to play it again ever since.

The HD remaster has really done this game justice, of course it still has the old-gen quirks and you can clearly see the games age now compared to the current generation of games, but as a game, this is still brilliant in the same way that tetris and bejewelled are still fantastic, it's just a good game. It would have been nice if they had added a way to skip cut-scenes though!!

For anyone who might be wondering: no, X-2 still isn't a good game :)

I would recommend this to anyone who played the classics, loves final fantasy or wants to try a proper Final Fantasy game for the first time

5.0 out of 5 stars Final Fantasy X is a brilliant game that every JRPG fan should have played by now, 16 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster (PS3) (Video Game)
Square Enix brings back two of the most popular RPGs of all time with this bundle of Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy X, both remastered in glorious HD!

Final Fantasy X is a brilliant game that every JRPG fan should have played by now, and whether you’re experiencing it for the first time or returning for another playthrough, Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster is outstanding. With enhanced art and music, tons of extra in-game content, cross-save compatibility, and bundling two huge games for the price of one, it’s a lot of bang for your buck. There’s so much to see and do, and being rewarded with new Trophies for going the extra mile with challenges and exploration feels great.

Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster (PS3)
Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster (PS3) by Square Enix (PlayStation 3)