5.0 out of 5 stars Elizabeth's books never disappoint
I don't intend to review this book by outlining the story because I feel this will spoil it for people who have not had the pleasure of reading it yet instead I will tell you how the book made me feel.

Published 29 days ago by Dragonflylife

2.0 out of 5 stars Dull and not up to Elizabeths usual standard
Published 2 months ago by Ian Court

5.0 out of 5 stars Elizabeth's books never disappoint, 24 July 2014

I could not put this book down, I got up early in the mornings to read, would manage an hour at lunch time and then could not wait to get home to continue. I found I would become totally immersed in the story it was quite disorientating at times when put the book down.

To begin with I was totally bemused as to who had murdered who and why. Even as the story unfolded I would start to think it was one person then something would happen and I would think it was someone else. This is what I love about Elizabeth's books she can keep you guessing up to the end. At one point I wanted to believe a certain person was guilty but could not work out how they had done it.

I felt the person who suffered the most was Flora her whole world seemed to implode on the night of the murders,I felt sad that her Father pushed her to the brink but was pleased that his final demand was his undoing. As for Andy I found him arrogant and annoying but I was glad that things ended the way they did. Lou and Jason I could see the attraction but think there were danger signs of him becoming controlling and feel he could smother Lou if she allowed it so I am not sure if the relationship would have worked long term. I did like Lou's thought processes her compassion and how she lead her team. I loved Sam and her straight forward ways.

I loved that the investigation involved everyone in the team and that all the analysis details made me feel like I was in on the investigation. The best bit was thrill of finally working it out and the danger in the last part of the book I couldn't read the pages fast enough at points I found I was holding my breath as things unfolded.

What else can I say apart from thank you Elizabeth for another great read x

5.0 out of 5 stars Very High Class Crime Writing, 21 Oct 2013
Lincs Reader (Lincolnshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Under A Silent Moon is something of a new direction for Elizabeth Haynes and follows a murder investigation headed up by DCI Louisa Smith. Told over a six-day period and interspersed with source documents, readers are able to interpret the evidence alongside Lou and her team.

A suspected murder and a suspected suicide - both on the same night, both victims living within yards of each other, both victims linked to many of the same people. Lou Smith is the newly-appointed Detective Chief Inspector, this is the first time she's been in charge of a murder investigation and she is determined that the killer will not get away.

Elizabeth Haynes has delivered a well-researched, incredibly well-written crime novel. Her vast knowledge gained when working as a police intelligence analyst is apparent throughout the story, this is an exciting, compelling and extremely gripping crime drama. Lou and her team are characters that are so realistic that they become part of your life when reading about them. Lou has an especially difficult relationship with her DI, Andy Hamilton, they have a past, he's a bit of a playboy and something of a loose cannon. Her relationship with Canadian Jason, her assigned analyst is much easier and their relationship develops throughout the story.

There is nothing that I hate more than solving a crime mystery half way through the book, there was absolutely no chance of this happening during Under A Silent Moon. This is a tightly plotted story, with many twists and turns, lots of associated characters and so many potential suspects, just when you think you've solved it, something else happens, and bang! you realise that you were so so wrong.

The sub-plots, the lives of the associated characters and the mechanisms of the murder team all work so very well together, they all blend seamlessly together, and although this could be an overly complicated story, it really works. Each individual strand is told so well and then sewn so well into the main story that it flows effortlessly.

Huge applause for Elizabeth Haynes, this really is a fine crime story. A police procedural novel with a difference. The added extras - the witness statements, the texts, emails and telephone analysis all work so well and add another dimension to the whole story.

I believe that this is the first in the series that will feature DCI Lou Smith - what a brilliant beginning, I'm already looking forward to the next instalment

5.0 out of 5 stars A new series from Elizabeth Haynes - terrific!, 15 Oct 2013
Liz Wilkins "Lizzy11268" (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Thank you very very very VERY much to the author and publisher for the advanced copy of this book for review.

A Murder. A Suicide. Two Women share One Fate. Can you connect the clues to discover the killer? Solve the crime alongside DCI Louisa Smith and her team.

I will start by saying that initially, when I first heard that the next novel by Elizabeth Haynes was to be the start of a series rather than another stand alone book, I was concerned. For me, her particular brand of storytelling is of an extremely high standard, always stunning and never without its own unique twist on whatever subject was at its heart. By its very definition a series has to entail at least somewhat of a change of direction so lets take a look....

Well. Oh me of little faith. I forgot that Ms Haynes was clever. First of all by giving the investigation a healthy dose of authenticity, and then by setting the whole thing over a period of just 6 days. Also as the little blurb I gave above says...inviting us, the readers, to solve the crime right there alongside the main protagonist. Intelligently written as always and living up to the promise of allowing you to see, without prevarication, all the clues as and when they are discovered by the Police, it is an involving and creative reading experience. Thats not to say there are not plenty of surprises along the way and you will pause in your reading to ponder....

I loved Louisa (she eats muffins and cornish pasties whats not to love?) and the cast of characters surrounding her create perfect little pockets of yin and yang. Enough background and consolidation will pique your interest and almost guarantee that you will want to pick up the next instalment...yet as a complete, well rounded tale it also works extremely well.

The great thing about this is, if you were to ask me "Well what is different about this book from any other police procedural?" I would not be able to put my finger on it. After all, we have a murder, we have a Police team trying to solve it and we have various suspects, the story moves along apace in what might be termed a fairly definitive way - and yet there is something here that makes it that bit better. Perhaps it is simply that Elizabeth Haynes knows her stuff, is a hell of a writer and makes it as real as you can possibly get in a fictional setting...

Highly recommended. I want more Louisa Smith without a doubt. I also want more stand alone books. In fact I'll take anything. Could we hurry this along please?

Happy Reading Folks!

5.0 out of 5 stars Queen of Crime does it again!, 13 Dec 2013
This review is from: Under a Silent Moon (Unabridged) (Audio Download)
Elizabeth Haynes is not your average or "normal" crime writer. There is no formula to her work, no stock characters used again and again. Each book is a stand alone in its own right. If you loved Into The Darkest Corner and think you are going to get a similar story you're wrong; the same goes for any other of her books- if you expect it to be a carbon copy/clone you won't get that. Every book she writes is unique and has a highly original, well thought out and researched plot. This book is a story told over 6 days, a murder investigation interspersed with copies of actual witness statements, authentic emails and information regarding police procedure. This doesn't make it dull but adds to the air of authenticity and shows just how well the book has been researched. The book twists and turns under the direction of Detective Louise Smith, she's human, she makes errors of judgement but she is supremely competent at her job. There are some sex scenes, not graphic of S&M sex-integral to the plot I'd say and not overdone-enough to make your imagination give you the shudders (or maybe not! ;-) ). The two seemingly unrelated strands are gradually wound together until the very exciting end. It's fast paced, well written, well crafted and researched well. The author's own professional knowledge just adds credibility to what is a fantastic, exciting read that genuinely keeps you hooked from the first page. This lady has an incredible imagination and long may she think of all sorts of weird and wonderful stories to keep us entertained- Don't expect a clone of a previous book and you won't be disappointed

4.0 out of 5 stars A very 'procedural' police procedural..., 19 May 2014
FictionFan (Kirkintilloch, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
A young woman is found brutally murdered in her cottage, and her female neighbour is later found dead at the bottom of the local quarry, having apparently driven her car over the edge. The coincidence of two deaths happening at the same time in a small village lead the police to think they may be linked, so newly promoted Louisa Smith finds her first case as DCI leading the Major Crime team head is to investigate both. She soon discovers that the murder victim Polly has been the cause of jealousy in more than one relationship around the village, and that she also had links to local gangster Nigel Maitland, on whom the police have never been able to get enough evidence to charge with anything...

This is probably the most 'procedural' police procedural I've read. Haynes, who apparently was a police intelligence analyst for several years in real life, gives a very detailed and convincing picture of how a police investigation works. She includes copies of reports, departmental e-mails and other case documents as a method of providing a feeling of verisimilitude to her story. On the whole this works well - Haynes keeps it down to a level where it remains interesting. However, she also includes fairly in-depth descriptions of team meetings and briefings, and while these make the investigation feel very realistic they also slow the plot down a little too much. The picture that most investigations are probably 90% routine tedium is, I'm sure, more accurate than the usual action-fest, but perhaps the book veers a little too much towards authenticity at the expense of entertainment on occasion.

The plot is complex and interesting, if a bit patchy at times - the obvious gets overlooked or we revert back to something that has already been considered earlier and dismissed. There are a couple of fairly lengthy episodes of S&M sex but, while the detail is considerably more graphic than necessary, they are integral to the plot. Some of the characterisation is excellent, particularly of the police officers, while in other cases it can be a bit superficial and less credible, and occasionally Haynes changes a character's personality midway through to fit in with a twist in the plot. DCI Smith herself is an appealing detective - ambitious and hard-working and without the usual angst issues. She has a fairly strong moral code which she tries hard to live up to and is a conscientious boss, loyal to her colleagues.

Overall, I found this a good read - not perfect, but with some solid writing and original touches that lifted it well above average. I don't know whether Haynes intends to make this into a series, but I'd be happy to meet Louisa Smith and her colleagues again. Recommended.

NB This book was provided for review by the publisher, Little, Brown Book Group UK.

5.0 out of 5 stars Haynes is fantastic, 19 Oct 2013
I have read all Elizabeth Haynes' books since I was totally blown away by "Into The Darkest Corner". No two books are alike in any way but at first I was a little wary of yet another police who dunnit. I should have known better, this is a real "page turner" as the reader quickly becomes engrossed in the mystery and trying to solve it. The rich cast of characters are believable and the central detective "Louisa" is a comfortably flawed heroine. The writers experience as a police analysist lends a fresh perspective to a somewhat tired genre, I have certainly had enough of the gruesome post mortems conducted by glamourous medical examiners written about by other authors and this is very different with the presentation of witness statements, timelines, phone records etc., which all lend an atmosphere of reality to the investigation, whilst in no way appearing "dry". I can't wait for the next Elizabeth Haynes book!

2.0 out of 5 stars Dull and not up to Elizabeths usual standard, 26 May 2014
Having read all Elizabeth Haynes previous books I started this with high expectations. If this had been the only book of hers I had read I would not be enticed to read the others. This novel was dull and full of far too much police procedure. The characters were confusing and the inserted emails and police forms added nothing to the book in my opinion. I was very disappointed and will not be rushing to read her next novel.

2.0 out of 5 stars Under a silent moon, 20 July 2014
I have read all of the Elizabeth Haynes books, and I have found this really hard going compared to her others.It picks up at the end, but feel like the ending was rushed as if she couldn't wait to finish it.That's how I felt to, so I could get onto reading a better book.Really loved her other books very disappointed by this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Engrossing, authentic police procedural, 25 Nov 2013
L. H. Healy "Books are life, beauty and truth." (Cambridgeshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Needless to say, a new book from a favourite author is always something to get very excited about, and as a big fan of this author, having read and enjoyed all three of her gripping novels thus far, (Into the Darkest Corner, Revenge of the Tide, and Human Remains), I was therefore thrilled to hear about Under a Silent Moon. I grew more excited as I read that the story would comprise of a police investigation, the timespan would run over only six days, and that there would be `source material and evidence' included within it, so that the reader could themselves be party to the clues that the investigation team have to hand, and thus feel involved in the story at a somewhat deeper level.

Elizabeth Haynes introduces us to DCI Louisa Smith, newly-promoted and challenged with leading her team in investigating the murder of an attractive young woman, Polly Leuchars, in the cottage she lived in, part of a local farm. It soon becomes evident that a suspected suicide of another local woman in her car at a nearby quarry may well be linked to Polly's murder, and it's up to the team to discover the truth behind the lies, unearth the facts and piece together the clues as to a possible connection between the two deaths. This author hasn't shied away from darker, sordid or unscrupulous aspects of humanity and relationships in her previous novels, and neither does she here; as well as murder, there are affairs, sexual encounters, there is jealousy, desire and greed.

The novel follows the investigation as it progresses, through witness statements, interviews with witnesses and suspects, chasing up leads. What I found interesting and innovative here is that, as well as the narrative being divided up into the six days of the investigation, and within that the down to the hours and minutes of the day, witness statements, emails, telephone calls and text messages, reports and other items are also presented here within the text using different layouts/fonts and using accurate terminology, so that as I read, it felt like the information before me was very immediate and real, and that I was thoroughly involved in this story as it unfolded.

The author presents an authentic depiction of a murder investigation room, and in particular, through the character of Jason Mercer, she highlights the role of the police intelligence analyst - a role that she herself has held in her working life - in compiling reports and charts and presenting information that can be key to finding the answers in a case like this.

As well as the police procedural elements of the tale, the story also moves between the activities of the main characters within the village who were connected to or involved with those deceased, so gradually building up a fuller picture for the reader of how everything fits together. Nothing is revealed too quickly, the intrigue is sustained so that I wanted to know just a little more about each of them in order to make my mind up as to whose loss and grief was genuine, and who was hiding something. There is development of main character DCI Louisa Smith beyond her workplace, too, though her relationships do tend to involve work colleagues. I believe that this is the start of a series, so it will be interesting to see how she develops over future novels.

Under a Silent Moon is an intricate, intelligent, well-paced crime story that kept me guessing; it was great to see Elizabeth Haynes' take on a police procedural style novel. The author was successful in making me suspicious of a fair few of the characters from the way her story is weaved, though there are clues and pointers towards what is in fact the right track (easy for me to say looking back having finished the book and discovered the outcome though I suppose!)

An engrossing page-turner that captures human strengths, desires and weaknesses vividly; if you're like me, you'll want to sit back, jump in, and not leave your seat until the end!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fresh Twist On A New Crime Series, 12 July 2014
J. Adams - See all my reviews
Once again, Elizabeth Haynes brings an unputdownable thriller that will leave you hungry for more.

The story is gripping, a brutal murder and a suspected suicide that might just be linked, but as with her previous books, its the characters that you'll fall in love with. Each and every one of them has a certain realism, and DI Louisa Smith is definitely a name that I want to hear in the future.

Elizabeth's latest thriller also brings in a new concept that i hadn't seen before. Scattered throughout the pages are Witness Statements, Telephone Logs and Timelines, so you yourself can try and piece together the clues along with the characters in the story. I found this interesting, and it was exciting to watch the events unfold.

If you crave a story that's dark, mysterious and thrilling from the first page, then pick up a copy of Under A Silent Moon, I trust you won't regret it.