5.0 out of 5 stars My TV has never sounded so good!
Published 18 months ago by Dezzray

Bought as a gift for my parents who love it but it was a good job I checked the box prior because they would have been disappointed on Xmas day as LG do not include the optical cable in the box. Cannot believe how shortsighted and ridiculous LG are in not doing so - what next, buy your own mains lead???
Published 6 months ago by Ric Brook

5.0 out of 5 stars My TV has never sounded so good!, 10 Dec. 2013
This review is from: LG LAP340 SoundPlate (Electronics)
I wanted to have a new Home Cinema System with large speakers for the living room, but the girlfriend was not so keen. The LG SoundPlate was a good compromise and we are both very happy with the new Sound quality this product produced for our TV. As the design is so thin it is not noticeable and our 55 inch LG TV fits comfortably on top. I researched similar models but LG SoundPlate seemed to be able to hold larger TVs than other brands the top and bottom of the metal construction features a dimpled effect to provide greater grip on surfaces. Installation was very easy as we have an LG TV we connected wirelessly (through LGs Sound Sync.) First test was the new Superman film in Cinema Mode, I played with the sound switching it between TV and SoundPlate and it was remarkable the difference it makes in such a slim design. When my friends came over to watch the football they were all impressed with the sound difference and my girlfriend likes to play music which is easy to do through Bluetooth. Overall if you do not want a big sound system but want to improve the sound of your TV this product is highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Pleased indeed...., 6 Aug. 2014
This review is from: LG LAP340 SoundPlate (Electronics)
When I eventually decided to read the user guide and was advised to turn the sound off completely or down to minimum on my TV, the SoundPlate suddenly began to shine.! My previous soundbar required some volume from the TV to amplify, but when I did this with the SoundPlate the sound was an unfocused mess.
LG's minimalist approach works really well, resulting in a 100% improvement in sound quality across the sound spectrum.
The remote is simple and clearly laid out. Some people have complained about the lack of a tone control with only a cinema sound option, but if you look at some state of the art hi-end audio equipment a tone control is intentionally absent to keep the sound as pure as possible.
In particular I do like the way speech is focused, yet the sound effects in films extend to a 4.1 virtual surround sound, with dual subwoofers projecting down as well as through rear lateral ports providing plenty of punch.
The inclusion of Bluetooth for smartphone or tablet playback really extends its versatility.

Overall I thoroughly enjoy my listening pleasure with the LG SoundPlate, and very pleased with its discreet design.
In particular I'm looking forward to re-playing my Blu-ray video collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars LG SoundPlate - Unobtrusive and effective, 10 Dec. 2013
This review is from: LG LAP340 SoundPlate (Electronics)
I've been looking for a simple clean way to boost the sound of my 37inch LG TV but didn't want a soundbar or an amplifier with extra speakers as they seemed too bulky or too many wires. The SoundPlate seemed the ideal solution as it sits directly underneath the TV. It comes with a small Remote Control which has standard functions such as volume but also able to change the sound from standard to cinema mode. I was a little concerned that the sound quality would not be that great due to the very slim design however it was quite the opposite. I cranked up to maximum volume and it delivers a very powerful sound. I watch a lot of films and live in an apartment block; hopefully my new sound system doesn't annoy the neighbours!

5.0 out of 5 stars LG LAP340 an amazing sound and well worth the price we paid!, 12 July 2014
This review is from: LG LAP340 SoundPlate (Electronics)
The LG LAP340 soundplate is just an excellent piece of equipment which easily linked up and compliments our LG 47LA620V 1080p Freeview HD 3D LED Smart TV which it neatly sits on. There are a few pro's and con's to consider, such as it will never replace 5.1 surround sound and you cannot adjust the bass or treble, but to be very honest it is an excellent sound when either blue-toothed from an iPhone or iPad or just watching a 3D or normal blue ray film in cinema sound, it really does sound amazing. Because the subwoofers are built in the LG LAP340 watch out for any vibration! We had to tighten the stand up and put small felt pads underneath blue ray player to stop this vibration and it worked! Also it did sync up to the LG TV remote control but if you are watching a blu ray film in cinema sound use the LG LAP340 remote control for adjusting the sound. For us it is an amazing sound and well worth the price we paid. I hope this helps if anyone is considering purchasing one.

3.0 out of 5 stars Only connects via optical but LG don't include one on the box!!!!, 26 Dec. 2014
Ric Brook "rbrooky" - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect fit and good sound, 22 April 2015
This review is from: LG LAP340 SoundPlate (Electronics)
I bought this for my 50 inch lg tv which has stands at each side rather than a single centre stand. I'd looked at various sound bars but found that only the most expensive ones would be slim enough not to cover the IR sensor on the TV.

This sound plate fits easily under the TV and between the 2 outer stands.

The sound is impressive for the size if the unit and doesn't distort when turned right up.

The lg sound sync function works well with the TV and is very easy to set up using the optical cable provided to connect to tv. Bluetooth is also extremely easy to connect and use.

Some people have complained about the lack of display to indicate current settings but there are only 2 or 3 and they are easily identified by the single led light on the front, anything more than this would spoil the look of the unit.

The option to adjust bass / treble would be nice but the standard settings are good for the vast majority of TV/movie/music.

All in all an excellent piece of kit for the price.

3.0 out of 5 stars If it'd be 100£ cheaper, I'd give it 4 stars, 31 Mar. 2014
This review is from: LG LAP340 SoundPlate (Electronics)
My wife saw this in an interior design magazine, so I got this as we wanted to minimize all the cables in our living room.

I was amazed how lousy it is for listening music, the mid range sound is terrible. When listing to big band Jazz, the horn section almost disappears and sounds like it's coming from inside a coke can.

For PlayStation and movie use it's pretty ok, although the casing rattles a lot for example in the opening flight scene of TOP Gun.

The speaker looks good and my wife is very satisfied that we got rid of the cables and home theater speakers.

So to summarize:

Music playback: awful
PS gaming: good
Movies: good
Spousal approval: good
Price: too high

4.0 out of 5 stars An honest review appealing perhaps to the less techno savvy., 25 Aug. 2014
A review for people who are older than >45yrs old (thats me),
Techo-savviness above average (has a smart phone and can use it) and wouldn't necessarily know the subtle nuances of particular sound waves (sick of reviews using long words trying to sound impressive).
I bought this as I found the TV sound was good but listening to DVDs the sound was poor despite trying to tweak settings etc.

Good Points:
I love the design. The telly just pops on top, it is not intrusive in the room and doesn't look weird.
It connected to the telly via a supplied optical cable and just needed a plug socket.
Basic set up was very easy.
I bought if from Amazon when it was 'on offer' but John Lewis had it at the same price.

Things to consider;

It took me about three days to set the sound settings to get it really really good. E.g. Day one I wasn't sure if it made much of a difference, Day two I had fiddled with the the telly sound settings a bit more and it improved, Day three I tweaked the dvd sound settings and hey presto - I thought yes I'd keep it. There are those of you out there that will think - 3 days - why not do it all at once but I found it difficult to assess sound improvements as my hearing adapted to the better sound quickly. Bit like painting a wall - sometimes you need to look away and then go back to see if you've missed a bit.

The accompanying manual was limited. On days two and three of the above tweaking I was looking at the troubleshooting page which was more helpful and making minor changes from that.

Wish list for soundplate

Although I have a smart LG tv bought in the last two years (and no I can't remember which model because I have a life) the volume button on the remote does not work. This is a minor inconvenience and another remote control to 'keep safe'. I had hoped LG to LG products would have had symmetry.

The soundplate tells you what it is doing by the colour and number of a small flashing dot. Personally I wish it displayed the sound level in a figure so that I would know that volume 10 was ok if I am in the room by myself and volume 16 if the lounge was full. Instead you just have to up it or down it until it feels right.

So two weeks into the purchase:

The soundplate gives a depth of sound which until I bought it I didn't really know it was missing. It has brought back the fact that I can notice the stereo sound and the woofers give it a terrific rumble. I think this is really good. I have limited space and this is a good fit for us. There may be better ones out there but to my limited untrained ear this is an A* for my needs. It is one of those purchases that now I have it .. it is difficult to remember what it was like before??

4* due to guessing sound volume levels and minimal instruction booklet.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed with this, 20 Mar. 2015
This review is from: LG LAP340 SoundPlate (Electronics)
Very disappointed with this. Connected it to a new LG smart tv by the recommended optical cable method. Only user control was volume, no tone, not even the many options on the tv settings for cinema, voice, surround etc, just volume. It had far too much base and the supposedly main benefit of clearer voice was just the opposite. Tried alternative connection types and dound quality suffered. Returned it at a cost of £10.80 which proved to be an expensive mistake of 2 day rental. Steer clear.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brings sound alive, 29 Mar. 2014
This review is from: LG LAP340 SoundPlate (Electronics)
This is not a replacement for surround sound it is simply a very neat speaker system which gives stereo sound a rich fullness that cannot be gained by the TV set's own speakers. Very satisfied giving viewing experience a complimentary listening experience.

LG LAP340 SoundPlate