Top positive review
5 people found this helpful
Hollies: Original Album Series: their first 5 albums in UK, with miniatured LP case, great sound and good collector value!
on 13 February 2016
The Hollies is a pop-rock group formed in 1962 in Manchester, England, initially consisting of Allan Clark (vocals), Graham Nash and Tony Hicks (guitars), Eric Haydock (bass), and Don Rathbone (drums). Clarke and Nash had worked as a duo, th eGuytones, added other members, became the Fourtones, Deltas, the The Hollies. First recorded for Parlophone in 1963. Rathone left in 1963, replaced by Bobby Elliott (the set up for the first 3 albums in the current series). Haydock left in 1966, replaced by Bernie Calvert (first heard on Bus Stop). Nash left in December 1968 to join David Crosby and Stephen Stills in new trio; replaced by Terry Sylvester, formerly in The Swinging Blue Jeans. Shuffling personnel since then, Clarke, Nash, Hick and Elliott regrouped briefly in 1983.
The Hollies has released 26 albums in UK, from 1964 to 2009 (on Parlophone label from 1964 to 1972, on Polydor from 1972 to 2009). The first 5 albums on Parlophone in UK (with label & no., chart positions in UK and US & year) are included in this series:
1. Stay With The Hollies (Parlophone 1220)(UK 2/1964) – 14 songs*containing the rare single: Lucille
2. In The Hollies Style (Parlophone 1235)(1964) – 12 songs
3. Hollies (Parlophone 1261)(UK 8/1965; US 145/1965) – 12 songs
4. Would You Believe? (Parlophone 7008)(UK 16/1966) – 12 songs
5. For Certain Because (Parlophone 17011)(UK 12/1966; US 71/1966) – 12 songs*containing hit singles: Pay You Back with Interest, and Stop Stop Stop
1. Individual Hollies’ albums are hard to come by. In this case, you get their first 5 albums in one set.
2. Each album comes with their original album front and back covers in a miniatured hardboard case.
3. There is a song listing on the back of the case that holds the 5 CDs. (For older folks like me, it is hard to read the small print song title on the back cover of the small hardboard case, or in some cases, like For Certain Because, no song listing was present.
4. The sound is excellently remastered, with good bass and no hiss. The songs were released in their original Mono mix.
1. Slightly expensive.
The Hollies is a group with great harmonies and distinct sound. If you are looking for their singles, please look elsewhere. Their first 5 albums have good sound and very enjoyable. If you are interested in re-collecting major artists’ albums on CDs at a reasonable price, the Original Album Series or Original Album Classics is the way to go. I managed to get back a lot of albums on CDs from artists, like Linda Ronstadt, Bobby Darin, Rascals, Monkees, KC and The Sunshine Band, Tommy James & The Shondells, etc. This set is recommended for all Hollies fans and collectors of individual albums from major artists.