on 23 January 2008
For those who wish to explore the islands and coastline of Croatia by boat (and what better way to do it?), this is the guide for you. It also contains much useful information on places to visit, and on the country generally, for the landlubber tourist - though be warned, it will make you want to take to the sea! Even if you don't have or hire a boat, you are likely to use ferries and approach ports in the ways described.

The authors have clearly done their research thoroughly and at length, having taken some 4 years in preparing the guide. My knowledge of the region is, so far, centred on the area around Split and so I checked what the book has to say about it. Chapter 4 covers places like Trogir, Ciovo Island, Kastela (really seven villages with at least one castle each) and Split itself. Chapter 5 covers the islands around Split, including Brac and Hvar. I soon found that there is so much more to see than I have already, and that I need a boat to make the most of it. For example, I sailed past Vranjic Islet and it is clearly worth a visit, and I never did get to Vis Island. You can, of course, cover a lot using ferries and water taxis. Wherever you land, this book will help you find the essentials of a good holiday - restaurants, shops, markets, places of interest - as well as providing a brief history of the area.

This is the most in-depth and up to date book of its kind that I have come across. It is great for planning trips while at home and is an essential on board. It is not a pocket guide, but even if you are not cruising I recommend that you find space to take it with you.
on 26 January 2009
I sailed many parts of the world before I decided to settle down in Croatia and agree with the authors that Croatia, particularly Dalmatia - the area covered by this book - is one of the best cruising grounds in Europe, if not the wider world.

What I particularly love about the Croatia Cruising Companion is the detail, onshore and offshore. The authors have lived and worked in Croatia for a number of years and it's easy to spot that they know the area inside out, especially when comparing with other publications that are based on occasional visits. There are plenty of Pilot books around which give a section to Croatia, sometimes hidden amongst "Eastern Europe" or "The Adriatic" but all 256 pages of this book are devoted to the Dalmatian Coast and Islands, from Zadar to Dubrovnik, and all the islands in between - Hvar, Brac, Vis, Korcula to name just a few of the larger ones.I enjoy looking up the smaller deserted islands to see what they have to offer as there's not always much information around on them.

As a resident of Split, I also looked at that section very closely. There's a whole page of useful information on the town including a superb selection of restaurants, and contact details for a launderette tucked away in the back streets - UK style launderettes are very rare in Croatia. That's the sort of information that really makes it an insiders' guide. But of course the nautical information is very important too and, with so many bays, marinas, anchorages and ports in Dalmatia it's great to have a well re-searched book that allows you to choose the most suitable spot in an area, based on all the key details - shelter, access, facilities, price, ambience, etc. There's also a detailed introduction with all the essential facts and tips you need to know about Croatia - at sea and on land.

The Cruising Companion is packed with information, full of glossy photographs, detailed port plans and charts, and it's a good read too - not just a collection of facts. Well produced and A4 in size it also looks pretty good on the coffee table, even if you haven't quite booked your sailing holiday yet!
on 12 September 2011
Just came back from two weeks sailing in Croatia and found this book to be a valuable asset while planning our trip. It is so well researched and many of their favourite moorings we found also delightful. You will not need another book if sailing in Croatia, even their choice of restaurants was spot on. All harbour charts are listed as well as nautical positions - so you don't have to take readings off charts just put them into your GPS and off you go! A great book.
on 12 July 2009
Just back from a week of cruising the Croatian coast and islands around Sibenik, North of Split. Our yacht was only supplied with very basic pilot information and so this book proved invaluable. Good clear chartlets and helpful information about what to expect at each potential destination. An essential piece of kit in my opinion. Be aware though - the book was published in 2007, facilities have improved since then.
on 1 August 2009
This book was informative and interesting with good clear lifelike photo,s of the places we visited. It gives you an insight into the type of marina or anchorage that is most suitable for your requirements. It briefly describes places of interest and recommended places to eat! A must if you are sailing around the beautiful islands of Croatia. I thouroughly recommend it.
on 2 July 2009
I'd endorse the earlier positive reviews of this book. We used it on our first cruise in a chartered yacht from Split. We found it crystal clear, easy to use and completely reliable. To misquote Molesworth (Down with skool) "none but a fule would go to sea without one". Also, I'm sure the book would be very useful to land-based explorers of the Croatian coasts.
on 10 September 2009
first class cruising guide, although hardback it gives all the detail you need. We used to to sail north of Trogir around Kornati Islands. Well worth it
on 15 July 2009
Our 1 week cruise around the islands of Brac and Hvar was made very easy and enjoyable in no small part thanks to this excellent guide. Ports were well laid out and described and the accompanying chartlets were very useful. Some places the indicated buoys were no longer there, but this is of course impossible to stay on top of as it changes all the time.
on 27 July 2015
This is a great book with lots of really useful information that helped us make the most of our sailing holiday this year and last. Only three stars however because;
1) I bought it as a Kindle book and found it very frustrating to use on my iPhone. As a reference book it's important to be able to bookmark the pages I was interested in and to find the start of different sections quickly. It may be my own incompetent use of the Kindle app, but I found it very hard to do this. There is a link from each index item to the page(s) referred to, but even paging through the index to find an entry is slow. I don't think Kindle works well for this type of book yet.
2) The book seems rather out of date. There has been a lot of change in Croatia over the last few years and many of the places we visited had entries that referred to marinas planned to open in 2007.
Even so, and in spite of the comments above, it was still a helpful guide.
on 2 June 2009
This book is an invaluable guide to sailing in Croatia with lots of information about the various harbours, tranquil spots to discover and plenty of relevant information about sailing into them. Bought it for a relative for a thank you present who thinks its brilliant