4,651 Reviews
 (3,368)

Arrived promptly, boxed well and it has a nice look to it.

Published 3 months ago by Richard Hawkes

Published 4 days ago by ChristianJames

5.0 out of 5 stars This product is garunteed to reduce stress, your cholesterol and make you look 10 years younger, 2 Sep 2014
Richard Hawkes (Orpington, Kent) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Samsung M3 Slimline 2TB USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive - Black (Personal Computers)
Arrived promptly, boxed well and it has a nice look to it.

This was the first time I'd ventured into the world of USB3. I'd kind of expected maybe a doubling in speed. If I'd had a hat on, it would have flown right off, because from the yawn-inducing days of backing up to my old USB2 hard disk at 20MB/S, this little fella was coming in at around 250MB/S for the larger files. At first I couldn't believe the numbers Windows was giving me. It slowed down for the smaller files (of course), but I'm still scratching my head as to how so much information can travel through such a small cable. It must be witchcraft, but I ain't complaining.

Suddenly, my life was transformed from the "leave it backing up overnight" to "done in half an hour" !

I now find that my inner Kharma has increased 10-fold. I no longer wave my fist at pesky children, and my wife has noticed an improved swagger in my walk. The restless nights spend wondering "is it still backing up?" are replaced with me tucked in sleeping like a baby.

Brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really nice quality hard drive - Very impressed!, 21 Aug 2012
i.pod "down loading freak" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Had the 1TB for a few weeks now and I'm very impressed , the image doesn't do the drive justice - it's a BLACK chequered and textured finish to the top, piano black around the sides and a Matt Black Durable underside with 4 rubber feet (These little rubber feet/touch pads are a great idea as its stops the drive clattering on the desk and sliding around ). In the box is a USB 3.0 micro cable (The drive and cable are fully backwards compatible with USB 2.0 which I'm currently using )a quick start guide and the warranty document (3 Years ) - on the drive there is security and back up software which i have yet to use but helpful if you don't have any.

So far it's done its job perfectly and I'm very impressed - recommended purchase 100%

5.0 out of 5 stars XBOX ONE EXTERNAL DRIVE?, 26 May 2014
Yup it works just fine... Had every game transferred across quickly and it works with no problems... Happy times.. order it with confidence. UPDATE: 6 months on and all is well.

1.0 out of 5 stars I WISH I could say it was great, but after 8 months, IT IS DEAD!, 15 Dec 2014
So, I bought this little drive back in May 2014, probably started using it around 10th May. I loved it, great speed over USB 3, great size, just sat on top of my PC. Every now and then I'd plug it into my laptop to transfer files. GREAT, loved it, until now.... it's now 15th December 2014 and it's stopped working. The dreaded beeping noise of death. I've phoned Amazon get a repair/replacement under the manufacturers warranty and am now playing 'chase the manufacturer' because Amazon don't deal with the warranty issues. JOY. So I guess I am one of the unlucky ones and here was me thinking the people who say it stopped working were just making it up! I did back up my files a week ago...... gutted though, not nice losing a drive with files on.

1.0 out of 5 stars Lasted 46 days before dying, 6 Jun 2014
46 days after purchase, the drive stopped responding while in the middle of a backup. Fortunately it was just a backup, but checking the reviews this does not seem to be an uncommon occurrence. By the number of one-star reviews, it seems that around 10% of drives fail within 2 months of purchase. This is not exactly an encouraging statistic!

1.0 out of 5 stars Really just terrible., 15 Aug 2014
The incredibly loose cable means connection is lost often, even with slight movements - meaning lots of files are corrupted. It worked well for the first week or so and then I began to see problems. I am a graphic designer with a lot of important documents, that I can't afford to lose.I do not recommend this hard drive at all!

2.0 out of 5 stars portable hard drive Mac, 16 Dec 2012
Bought this hard drive for my Mac the first drive had nothing on it even the IT department couldn't get it to work no problem Amazon sent out a replacement this had all the info that you required languages and how to encrypt your info it said it was compatible for mac, it said for 10.6 or higher but it wouldnt work even when I down loaded the program that it recommended I gave it to my daughter who uses it on her windows laptop and bought a portable drive from the apple shop it least that one worked without having to down load any programs

1.0 out of 5 stars HD failed in less than 1 year, 18 Jun 2013
I bought this September 2012. It has been used a few times for backups and last night it failed. Very frustrating as I have lost all previous backups and it will not reformat. Surprised because I expected better from Samsung.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good after a little tinkering, 10 Nov 2012
I bought this to connect to my home network and allow me to backup both a Mountain Lion Mac and a Windows 7 PC. Although this drive is advertised as working with both operating systems I was a little disappointed to find that the drive only comes with the Windows compatible software installed. Even worse, when I followed the official links to download the Mac software I found it relied on a piece of software made by google that was no longer available. As such this drive will not work straight out of the box with a Mac operating system.
In the end I reformatted the drive using Disk Utility on the Mac, wiping all of the Samsung software off the drive. This means I have lost some of their security options, which some people may want if they are using this as a portable hard drive and are worried about loosing the disk at some point. For me though I was happy that the security of my network hub would suffice and was easily able to plug the drive into the USB and have both Mac and Windows machines read and write to the drive.
The product is otherwise great. It is tiny, it doesn't seem to get too hot and doesn't whirr or click in any noticeable way. For the money I would definitely recommend it, and I particularly like that it draws its power through the USB cable so there is only one thing to plug in.

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung M3 500 GB USB 3.0 Protable Hard Drive, 8 Feb 2013
This is an excellent product about the size of a packet of 20 cigarettes but about 1/2 the thickness -say about 1 cm thick.
It comes complete with a short usb cable approx 400 mm long wich is just ideal to place the product flat down on its 4 small rubber feet on a hard surface when it is operating. (since it is effectively a small disc drive running - which is extremely quite & you can feel it spinning if you place your finger on the top of the unit when it is operating. It also has a small blue LED to let you know it is recieving power and this flashes when transferring data. It seems to operate very efficiently from my Dell desktop with a usb 2 port and operating windows 7.Because I just wanted to back up all the files on my computer ie: My docs, My picture, My videos & My music I did not bother to use the supplied software, just simply attached the usb supplied (to itself)then plugged it in to my computers usb port. It then went through the intalling software and the message 'ready to use' popped up after 30 secs or so.
I then simply copied and pasted all the above folders by simply right clicking on each folder in 'C' drive then right clicking on the Samsung 'E' drive and pasting using windows explorer tool. Very, very easy - as per the pdf instruction files which are available to view if you open the drive and simply double click on the pdf instruction manual (**WHICH YOU SHOULD DO** before using it!!)The quick start paper guide simply tells you how to plug it in as above to get going with it.
It copied all the files very rapidly indeed, at approx 1 GB per minute I would say when I timed it as a rough guide.
All in all an excellent piece of kit, with my Dell computer backed up in about an hour (50 GB)!!
Then simply right click on the task bar at the bottom and eject the device - only disconnecting when it is safe to do so as per the instruction manual. It has got auto back up features and separated pieces of drive such as a private section, I guess with a passcode to set up and other sections to split the drive if you require them but you need to run the software supplied separately by simply clicking on the auto run feature for this software, but i did not bother as its too easy and quick just to simply copy and paste across and hey presto your computer is backed up with no effort at all.
Hope this review helps you decide when you a purchasing a portable drive but I could definatley recommend you buying this 500 GB M3 portable hard drive as it seems excellent and very easy to use!