5.0 out of 5 stars (Nearly) as good as I expected
Published 6 months ago by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Camera appears solid, but with a few quality issues
The first camera came with a filthy sensor (oil and dust). I am a pro photog and happy to clean sensors, but shouldn't have to on a brand new camera. It went back to Amazon.
The second camera arrived (with a French plug) and had a blown pixel on the sensor. It went back to Amazon.
I am now waiting for the third camera to arrive.
UPDATE: the third camera...
Published 3 months ago by CJ

5.0 out of 5 stars (Nearly) as good as I expected, 7 Jan 2014
I entered the world of Fujifilm cameras when I bought a second hand X100 (also from Amazon). I love this camera. it's a digital emulation of a film camera. I love the controls, the feel of it in my hands and it's film emulation (the camera's sensor is wonderful and the fujifilm colours really good). It made me want to take photographs and I did. At the time I had a Panasonic G3 which I loved. Once I'd bought the X100, I barely touched it. However, I missed replaceable lens. I liked the look of the X E1 but prevaricated until along came the X E2.

My expectations were really high and, they have, in large, been met or exceeded. Compared to my X100, it has a better sensor, more modes, better manual focussing, is faster. The list goes on. Again, the camera feels great to hold and is amazing to look at (I've been accused of being a hipster, what cheek). The kit lens is really, really good (unlike every other kit lens that I've ever bought). I've also bought the 50-200mm and 27mm lenses, both excellent. I've really enjoyed this camera and have taken it out a lot and taken photographs in all sorts of situations. I continue to find new joys. To say that I really like this camera is an understatement. I sold the G3 and the lenses that I'd bought through Amazon

Two very minor points. I really like the X100's optical viewfinder, that's missing on the X E2. However the electronic viewfinder is really, really good. So, a bit of a downside, but very minor. The second grumble is the electronic split screen manual focussing. I've found few situations where I find it useful. I had imagined it would be like the old split-prism days, but sadly it isn't. Meanwhile, the manual and auto-focussing are both very fast and accurate under a wide range of light conditions.

Finally, Fujifilm update the firmware for their cameras regularly. It has made a huge difference to the X100, making it a better camera over time. One of the reasons that I bought the X E2 is because I like and expect this level of support.

I've given it a 5.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best choice for a mirrorless, 22 Dec 2013
This review is from: Fujifilm X-E2 Camera - Black (16.MP, CMOS II Sensor) (Electronics)
-Great sensor, great lenses map
-Same quality of a full frame, extraordinary
-All the controls in your hand
-One of the bests electronic viewfinders
-WhatYouSeeIsWhatYouGet, so you're saving time and effort of your workflow
-Focus peaking for Manual Focus, aesome! I can use now Manual focusing, not as I discarded from my old DSLR
-Firmware updates for adding functions during its lifetime (no other brand do that)

-Recommend: buy a handgrip for a better subjection in your hands and begin with a no zoom lens
-Menus scheme could be better

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 13 Feb 2014
This camera has good reviews so I took the chance and bought it.
The image quality is very good and with higher iso settings produces cleaner images than my slr does.
Focus is not as quick as the SLR but its pretty quick.
Very pleased with the XE2 and the 18-50 kit lens is superb..
May even consider selling all the SLR kit, this camera does the job.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great camera - quality of build just lacking, 8 Jan 2014
I have had forays in the past away from DSLR cameras and have found previous compact models severely wanting in comparison. However I have always been frustrated with the bulk of SLR cameras and their sheer intrusiveness to the subject. I have been watching the mirrorless market for some time waiting for the time when sensor size, high ISO performance, AF performance and lens quality could approach that of an SLR. This Fuji came close enough in a camera shop hands on test to convince me to take the plunge and after a couple of days of use I am convinced enough to make the switch.

The main advantage to me with this type of camera is that you get a true live view on the screen and when you hit the shutter that is what you get. You can adjust the shutter speed, aperture or ISO and the rear screen shows the impact of the changes in real time. This makes setting the camera manually very quick and almost idiot proof. Also with a lens ring for aperture and shutter speed dial these settings are easily accessible.

The JPEG images out of this camera are excellent requiring no real processing and there are plenty of in camera options to adjust how the photo will look such as sharpening and noise reduction.

You can use this camera up to ISO 3200 with no real loss in image quality and 6400 is perfectly usable. Accompanied with the inbuilt flash which can be held vertically to bounce this is a great camera for indoor use and will give you tack sharp indoor images that are worth keeping.

There are a few areas on this camera that need improving to earn it the full 5 stars. At the price the build quality should be better. The lens, front and top of the camera are excellent but the buttons on the back are cheap and clicky, this is a simple change that would have cost less than 1 in production to get right. To me it feels like having a plastic steering wheel in a Mercedes. The AF speed is still not as good as either the GX7 or an SLR, I can live with it but it needs further work to fully convince. Finally the manual focus options need improving, to my eyes they are not nearly clear enough for dynamic use.

Despite these shortcomings the first images from the camera are very good and I will commit to the system, the D90 is going on ebay along with my last lenses and I am off to buy the 35mm F1.4.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent second or even primary camera, 28 Feb 2014
The quality of the results from the Fuji and 18-55 kit are excellent. I was worried that I would miss the quality of my DSLR (Nikon D800) when using the Fuji but I have not found this to be the case. The results are good enough that I don't feel a compromise.

I plan to use the Fuji when travelling abroad... it is a capable replacement for the D800 in this respect and is a fun camera to use.
I'm considering adding som X-Series lenses to my collection starting with the 10-24

5.0 out of 5 stars new photographic buzz, 30 May 2014
S. Gee "stewgee" (London) - See all my reviews
What a lovely piece of kit the x-e2 is.

Having used a 35mm film SLR in my youth and then a series of compact cameras, I have been taking photographs with Canon DSLRs for the last 7 years and have built up a reasonably useful range of lenses and other pieces of kit. However, over the last year I have been getting increasingly fed up with lugging it all around, and reflecting on whether all this gear is really helping my photography. I am a fan of street photography and find that my big, very noticeable Canon 60D was making the surreptitious existence of a wannabe street photographer more and more tricky.

Following a good deal of research and some testing in Calumet and Jessops, I decided to take the plunge and buy the x-e2 while the free lens offer was running. As yet I have not received my fuji lens (I'm 3 weeks in - think they may be taking their time to encourage me to buy another while I wait) so am shooting manual using an old Canon FD lens and adapter. Manual focus is a breeze with the focus assist settings via the electronic view finder and I find that everything I need is at the tips of my fingers.

In short I am really loving the experience of taking photographs with my new camera, and believe that this feeling will grow as I invest in a range of lenses, all of which appear to be of exceptional quality. There are any number of pros to this camera, and a few cons which I feel are relatively easily dealt with - hence 5 stars.

Pros:

- image quality - when focused properly images are pin sharp and exposure, white balance, colour and contrast are all excellent - this is especially notable in dark conditions where my Canon 60D would sometimes struggle to get it right. Lots has been said about the new structure to the sensor array and the removal of the high-pass filter - all I can say is the images look great and although lower resolution, look clearly sharper than those of my 60D and require less fiddling about before I share them.
- small size and low weight - this camera is relatively tiny compared to my 60D and this means I will be able to carry it with me more frequently, and so take more pictures.
- low noise at high ISO - I don't know if Fuji's ISO is accurate or if they deploy additional noise reduction as is sometimes suggest; what I do know is this camera performs far better in low light than any I have tried before. It has to be tried to be believed.
- ergonomics - this is a beautifully set up camera - the use of manual settings is really well thought out and I do not really want for anything significant.
- build quality - although perhaps not quite as bullet-proof as the Canon 60D, this is clearly a well built camera, and unlike the Canon has at least some external metal casing.
- due to the way the camera is put set up I feel more in touch with my photography than I have for years - so that I, rather than the camera, am taking the pictures.
- the camera is very pretty - really stylish and a pleasure to look at as well as use. Not the most important point by a long way, but nice to have.

Cons:

- the size and weight make it harder to keep the camera steady during a longer exposure, but I think this is a matter of practice - I am able to get a sharp shot at 50mm at around 1/30th pretty consistently, which I think is fine.
- I fear that when I get my fuji lens I will keep on sticking my finger in front of the focus assist - it isn't very well placed. Again, this is just a matter of getting used to an adjusted grip.
- battery life is lamentable. Coming from a recent history of using a DSLR I think the fuji battery needs to be re-charged around 4x the level of my Canon. This is irritating, but is easily solved by buying more batteries, and they only cost around 10-15 a pop, so not the end of the world.

Is this camera for everyone? I'm not sure - it pushes you to adopt more of a manual-settings approach to photography and I am not sure it would be that enjoyable to use in fully auto mode. If you want to feel the process of taking pictures more deeply, then this is the camera for you. Similarly if you want to tighten up and down-size your kit, this camera could work very well for you. If you are looking for a first interchangeable lens camera, I am less sure the Fuji is the way to go.

I will re-visit this review over time as I use the camera more, especially when I have a Fuji lens to lock onto the front of it.

14 June 2014 addition.

I have now received my free lens from Fuji (35mm f1.4) and have had a good opportunity to test the system by using it over a couple of months. I still love this camera, but it really doesn't focus as well as a dslr, by a fairly long chalk. I think the auto-focus is perfectly useable, but if you are expecting to be able to track a moving toddler in a fairly small room, forget it. There are ways around this and I now keep my camera permanently on manual, using the focus lock button to activate auto focus so utilising both manual and auto equally. Image quality is excellent and I continue to find that I barely need to do any editing with before I put the images up on-line - out of the camera j-pegs are uniformally great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb camera that you can always carry with you, 4 April 2014
J Every (London, England) - See all my reviews
I have had this camera for three weeks now and I love it. The results on par with a heavier DSLR in most situations, and you don't have to carry around all of that heavy glass. It is a joy to return to the mindset of shooting with film because the in-camera JPEG processing is so good and there are plenty of film simulation options - you can think about the picture you want and get it without spending hours of post-processing yet also take several frames of the same scene without extra cost. If you make a mistake - you still have the RAW file as backup.

If you are out shooting all day with a drive mode of slow or fast I have noticed it is possible to exhaust a fully charged battery in the cool UK spring weather - so carry a spare and use a large fast memory card.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice camera - review from a Nikon, Olympus, Panasonic user, 13 May 2014
I have recently bought this camera and I have spent a few hours hanging around last weekend for street shooting.
Set on B&W, the Fuji X-E2 takes you back to photography. It is a pleasure to shoot with it and the image quality is great. The menu is pretty intuitive and it took me a few minute to navigate through it. I have found extremely annoying 3 things: 1) the LCD remains on for some time before switching off; 2) AF setting is not as smooth as with my Nikon DSLR, where it is easy to move across the frame with a simple pressure on the back of the camera and 3) some "black-outs" of both LCD screen and EVF when alternating between the two qickly. The ISO is incredible until 3200 then details get a bit mushy, but image has anyway less noise than both the Nikon D7000 and the Nikon D800 that I still use. Images lose quickly contrast/definition at ISO 6400
Compared to the Nikon D7000, the X-E2 deals with bright lights significantly better, without blowing the highlights. The 18-55mm kit zoom lens is more than decent and pretty usable in low light if you keep it at 18mm f2.8. AF is a tad slow though.
Fuji X-E2 vs. Nikon D7000. I will keep the Fuji for street photography, thinking about selling my Nikon which has a much faster AF though
Fuji X-E2 vs. Nikon D800. Tough call. Difficult to compare those cameras. I love my Nikon 70-200 f4 and 85mm f1.8. I'll continue with both
Fuji X-E2 vs. Olympus E-PL5 and Lumix GM1. No comparison for daily street shooting, Olympus wins on much faster AF (touchscreen), size, and fantastic jpeg engine. GM1 has now replaced my Canon s100. Fantastic little camera if you like to have one with you at all times. Fuji excels in dimlight, candid shots.
Conclusions: If you plan to capture emotions more than pictures, I see no better camera than the X-E2. The moment you'll have it in your hands, you'll go out, set the B&W option and take photos. You'll love it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Has it's faults but, 16 Jun 2014
OK so the focus really isn't all that great, it's better than the X-E1 but really not significantly. The RAW files are good to work with, though they have issues with Lightroom - the JPEGs are good unless you are taking photos of people at ISO 3200 and up (google "X-E2 plastic skin") - the controls are devine, very simple and better than the E1 in that they are a little stiffer so harder to accidentally move.

Image quality is up there with the best APSC DSLRs.

Where this camera really ins you over is in it's form and function, it's very analogue with manual controls and the form just makes it so much easier to carry around and far less imposing than a big fat DSLR over your shoulder.

If ever Fuji figure out how to focus faster, this would be a killer camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 24 Feb 2014
D. Hall "Damascusmoment" (Edinburgh, UK) - See all my reviews
My first CSC (previously have used a compact digital and an old SLR), and I'm totally sold. Having loads of fun with it - quality is great, look and feel are excellent, and features are fab (though it takes a while to learn your way around them, and the quick ways to locate them). Gripes: cheap strap system - worth investing in another one; manual focus not as easy as I would like - not sure why!; and the upload software - Fujifilm's software - feels cheap, nasty and awkward to use, even though the camera uploads thru wifi. Those are wee things for me though. All in all though, LOVE this camera!