on 21 December 2014
I get through an iron every 8 months or so, even top of the range ones from other manufacturers. This is the first I have had where the anti scale works. The filters seem to make the iron list forever. I was also a bit sceptical about the one heat setting but it works, you can leave the iron flat down in one spot and it does not burn! I will only be buying the same iron.....if this one ever stops working!
HOW WELL DOES THIS IRON GET THROUGH CRUMPLED CLOTHES
====================================================
The greater the amount of steam the quicker and easier it should be to iron with. There isn't a correlation between the wattage and "steaminess"
In fact some premium steam irons that state they are "powerful" don't produce more steam than some much much cheaper irons.

The GC7619/20 (what a non catchy name???) produces loads of steam and got through the pile of ironing in no time at all.

THE GLIDE
=========
The iron's soleplate is important. If it glides effortlessly, it makes the ironing much easier.

No problems here. Glides perfectly

LIMESCALE
=========
If you're in a hard water area, after a while the steam can dry up. Some irons combat limescale quite well, whilst others don't: meaning it's more difficult to iron with.

This has cartridges which meant there were no problems or limescale marks.

EASE OF USE
===========
The design has a part to play. Some iron create problems whilst others have a thoughtful design.

This is well designed and actually a pleasure to use.

SOLEPLATE SCRATCHING
====================
If the iron is susceptible to scratching, it'll cause snagging and the ironing can be burdensome.

This iron didn't scratch at all.

SCORES ON THE DOORS
===================
For the money I'd give this 9/10.
It looks nice, it's well made and has the added bonus of being able to iron vertically. (Not an important feature for me, but maybe for you.)
It makes ironing really easy and I'd recommend it.
on 14 December 2013
I am usually not much of a fan of ironing, and like to spend as little time as possible doing it. So I was intrigued by the proposition of being able to iron everything in half the time, but skeptical...this skepticism turned out to be misplaced - this iron is brilliant!

When you first set it up you find the first difference between this and a normal iron - it has a cartridge (to filter calc out of the water) which easily clicked into the base. Then you just fill with water, plug in and go. It only takes about a minute to heat up which i was surprised by.

The steam output is great I can iron all my clothes on just one side as all the steam that comes out if hot and steamy enough to iron both sides without having to flip it over.

I was slightly dismayed when i first tried to put the iron down to find no heel on it, so i had just leave it on the ironing board - this is where the technology really comes in as it just doesnt burn due to the low temperature of the plate (still dont touch its not that cool i found out).

All in all it has lowered the amount of time I need to spend ironing, but I now find myself even ironing my boyfriends shirts as its so easy!!
VINE VOICEon 2 February 2014
Design & Looks:
The first thing I noticed when I opened the pack was how sleek, robust & good quality this was. Not to mention good looking! It is an state of the art product. The iron itself is not as heavy as most irons I have used before (it has a more sleek design). The base is not as heavy as I'd thought but it is not that heavy.
Another handy feature I really liked that the cable neatly tucks into the base when not in use, so no messy cables hanging around when not in use.

Preparation:
To prepare it for use, you simply insert the anti-calc cartridge, fill up the tank with water (to max*) & turn on the device. It heats very fast, ready for use.
*I am not sure if you can just fill it up to half if you only need to iron one shirt? I will call Philips about that).

Glide:
It indeed glides effortlessly & smoothly. I have never used an iron that is so easy to handle & manoeuvre.

OptimalTEMP:
What I most loved about this is that there is no temperature dial which you have to change for different garments, which Philips calls OptimalTEMP & it adapts itself to different garments without the risk of burning. (NOTE: OF COURSE CHECK GARMENTS' LABELS IF THEY ARE SAFE FOR IRONING). However Philips states: "This technology has been tested and approved by independent textile experts on the most delicate fabrics like silk, cashmere, wool and polyester." Thus you have Philips guarantee & if anything goes wrong, their reputation for excellent customer service won't let you down.

Steam:
To use the steam, you press the button under the handle & it produces a lot of steam. I thought that even without the steam, you don't need to keep going over & over thick cotton fabrics even to get a smooth finish, 1-2 times was plenty to get the creases out & it does make ironing much easier, faster & enjoyable. However, sometimes when I pressed the steam whilst the iron was ON the fabric, it trickled a few drops of water which of course did not have or leave any scale behind & quickly evaporated when ironed over.
NOTE: ONLY & only use tap water STRAIGHT FROM THE TAP or demineralised water, otherwise your guarantee might become void. (If you use demineralised water, you have less need to replace the cartridge than using tap water).

Vertical Steam:
I was not too impressed with the vertical steam, firstly because the wire won;t stretch far (eg for curtains), & also it did not really take out creases in my light cotton top. I need to retry this & will update here.

Price:
I think this is an expensive iron but worth the price as it really does the job well.

Conclusion:
If you do a lot of ironing, then I highly recommend this & it is worth every penny.
on 22 March 2014
I cannot praise this iron enough, I was doubtful of it living up to the hype that I had read about it, in recent months I had tried two others & promptly returned them being left disappointed & unsatisfied with the results.
The Philips PerfectCare Steam Generator live up to it's reputation. I read about it, watched it on youtube so I could see it action & hear how noisy it was, I am still amazed at how you can iron ALL fabrics without altering the temperature, also the idea of standing it on the sole plate & it not burning the ironing board material is beyond imagination but it really doesn't burn or leave a mark, & I must say that it is sooo quiet, just a low clicking noise so I can watch TV on normal volume. I would recommend this iron to everybody looking for a steam generator.
My only disappointment is with Philips themselves, I tried to register my purchase with them but can only do so through Facebook or Twitter & as I don't want to subscribe to either of them I am unable to register my steam generator, do Philips not realise that not everybody wants to be on Twitter or Facebook, at least their product is can be relied upon.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Not many people enjoy ironing, though I'm possibly one of the few that doesn't mind it. I've used a variety of irons over the years, but always the conventional type, i.e. with a stream function and the water held within unit. Most recently I've used a Philips Azur iron and it has been my best to date. However, it does have two drawbacks; it's size and weight. And these are the reasons why a steam generator iron is so much better. With the water unit being separate, the hand unit is small and light. This Philips appliance glides beautifully and steams excellently. I appreciate this is a lot to pay for an iron, and is twice the price of a conventional device. And whilst it won't quite turn a chore into a pleasure, it will make it much easier and quicker. For anyone who is regularly confronted by the ironing mountain and sighs at the prospect of what is to come, this is well worth the additional investment.
VINE VOICEon 23 January 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
It took me about 5 minutes to wonder how I ever got by without a Philips PerfectCare Pure steam generator iron in my life.

As the water sits in the base unit, the handle is compact and light, which makes for easy gliding across clothes, bedding & materials. In fact, it glides superbly. It attacks a pile of ironing in literally half the time of a conventional iron due to the steam. The results are perfect. Anybody wondering whether or not to invest in one of these should simply look at the time saved.

It's a doddle to set up; once the base is filled with water, you're pretty much ready to go. It's then simply a case of pressing the switch beneath the handle to keep the iron on. Another bonus is that you're not required to adjust the temperature - one temperature fits all!

I'm so glad that I have the Philips in my life!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
 This is a three way comparison of steam generator irons. This one, a considerably more expensive Philips Philips GC9236/02 PerfectCare Expert Steam Generator Iron with OptimalTemp and 320 g Steam Boost, 1.5 Litre, 2400 W, 6 Bar, Dark Purple/White Tankand a Tefal Tefal Effectis GV6720 Steam Generator - 2200 Wattonly marginally more expensive. The wet mark on the ironing board reflects my error in filling rather than any of the irons leaking. This is not an exciting video, but it offers a chance to compare three of these devices in action.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is the first time we've tried this type of iron, and it's certainly impressive. With traditional steam irons, I've always found the steam feature to not last very long, and I find myself constantly using the boost button.

With a steam generator iron, the water is stored in a base unit, and this is connected to the actual iron by a cord. This allows for the steam to build up to an impressive level, and being separate, it's possible to store a large amount of water.

The iron itself feels smaller and more comfortable to use, and yet still feels substantial. The plate also has a nice glide, making the ironing that bit more effortless.

To use the steam, you need to keep a button depressed, although this is fairly comfortable. It also means that if you choose not to use the steam for an item, that's also easily possible.

Finally, there is no need to keep changing the temperature, plus you can leave the iron flat down, even on clothes, and it guarantees not to burn! This also means you don't need to stand the iron on it's end - this is meant to help with RSI, but it also means if you top the ironing board, it's not going to tip over, which I've done a few times!

Some steam generator irons look large, but this has a compact style. It does of course take up more room than a traditional iron, but not too much more. If it does indeed last to this standard for 5 years, then it's worth the price.

The only downside is that it contains an anti-calc cartridge, to reduce limescale in the water. These are meant to last an average of 3 months, but as we're in a hard water area, they might not last so well. The box does come with 2 cartridges though, and at the moment, you can buy a 4 pack in amazon for £20. I'll try to come back and report how long ours lasts.

Added: we had to change our cartridge early March, so for us, it lasted just over 2 months. It's additional cost to think about with this iron, but 2 months isn't too bad for a hard water area.
on 16 April 2014
This is my first steam generator iron and it's taken a bit of getting used to. It can be a bit temperamental but the steam does come out at a rate of knots (difficult to watch TV whilst ironing because of the racket!!) and it does glide smoothly over fabrics. I'm not sure the results are much better than my old iron although it does work faster. All in all, good but not amazing.