5.0 out of 5 stars Frozen Sing-Along Edition DVD

3.0 out of 5 stars FILM 2/5... SNOWMAN... 5/5... 3D 5/5
Published 8 months ago by THE OUTCAST

5.0 out of 5 stars Frozen Sing-Along Edition DVD, 26 Nov. 2014
S Riaz "S Riaz" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This is a really perfect stocking filler for Christmas, which will be adored by all Frozen fans. If you already have the film, you may be wondering what this DVD offers that will make it worth buying again. It comes in a slip case, with an attractive cover, making it look just a little bit more special if you are buying it as a present. The DVD itself comtains the film, but with the added extra of the words included underneath the songs - along with a bouncing snowflake, which follows the words, so your little one can sing along. Even better, in the extra bonus features there is a 'sing along selection' - which is simply all the songs together. My daughter had a play date yesterday and I think I must have heard, "Let It Go," accompanied by raucous seven year olds, about twenty times. So, this DVD will drive you crazy, but the kids will adore it! The bonus features also contains a little documentary, "Breaking the Ice," about the making of this incredibly successful movie and a little Mickey Mouse short feature, "Get a Horse." It is impossible to say why some films take off, but for my little girl - and many others - this has become a mini obsession. It certainly contains good female characters and some really catchy songs and this edition will be greatly enjoyed by Frozen fans everywhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars Frozen melts your heart..., 29 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Frozen [DVD] (DVD)
Finally watched this after all the fuss from all the addicted little girls I know who adore it. (including my 21yr old daughter!) I have to say it ticks all the boxes - excellent animation, wonderful story (an adaptation of the Hans Christian Anderson story - The Snow Queen) and excellent musical score too. I would put this on a par with 'Brave', perhaps even edging ahead slightly. Thoroughly entertaining with the feel-good factor of the Disney happy ending!

5.0 out of 5 stars I get why this is so popular :), 6 July 2015
Ms T - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
* About the movie:
I've been wanting to see this movie ever since it came out in cinemas but somehow only got round to seeing it now. Really enjoyed it! It's full of catchy, memorable songs, sprinkled with a light sense of humour, the animation and artwork is brilliant, the voice acting is top class and the main characters are likeable. The story is an unusual and creative one with an unforseeable plot twist thrown in there for good measure which is always a plus in my books. As far as stories go, it's not my favourite Disney / Pixar story of all time (that honour is reserved for Toy Story and Monster's Inc), but still is very good, and as a whole package, it's a highly enjoyable movie for anyone who appreciates musicals, animations and fairytale style stories. For the movie I'd give it a 5/5

* About the user-friendliness of the blu-ray:
Very user-friendly with an easy-to-use menu, making it easy to navigate through the chapters of the story and it was straightforward to find the subtitles, easy to get back to the main menu etc.

* About the extra features on the blu-ray:
Honestly I was a little disappointed with the extra features provided. I love seeing behind the scenes / "making of" stuff and interviews with the actors, composers, artists etc and I strongly felt this was missing from the bonus material. All that's provided is a short documentary about Walt Disney's intentions to make a movie on the Snow Queen (this is probably the most interesting extra feature in my opinion), few deleted scenes (all in sketchy 2D storyboard illustration form), a fun musical number where the crew sings how everyone wants to know how Frozen was made, but the song ends with "we don't know how", some music videos of "Let it Go" in different languages (only in Italian, Spanish and Malay), a teaser and a Mickey Mouse animation. All in all I would have liked to see more interesting content in the extra features. For the extra features I'd give it a score of 2/5 - and that's probably generous. But, I didn't let this alter my overall rating since the main reason I bought this blu-ray was for the movie itself - more features would have just been a fun bonus.

5.0 out of 5 stars Confirmed: This 3D release works on U.S. Blu-ray players (Region A/1), 5 April 2014
ReubenR (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Frozen [Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
I took a chance and ordered this UK release of Frozen 3D from the UK since Disney apparently doesn't consider us Americans worthy of the 3D version. As advertised, this 3D Blu-ray disc is indeed Region-Free and works on my U.S. Blu-ray player with no problem.

The movie is fantastic, the sound and image are wonderful, and the packaging is free of frustration. It costs a bit extra ordering from England, but if you must have the 3D release, at least there's a way to get it!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Disney Film Since The Lion King, 15 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Frozen [DVD] (DVD)
Frozen is a phenominon. It is a magical and emotional experience that will stay with you for days, weeks, months after you see it. It is by far the best Disney film since the likes of The Little Mermaid and The Lion King. Everything from the animation to the toe tapping musical numbers are breathtaking.

It is a heartwarming tale about sisterhood and the importance of family. Idina Menzel and Kristen Bell put in simply spellbinding performances as two sisters forced to grow up apart due to a terrible gift/curse. Menzels ensemble musical piece "Let It Go" deserves a Grammy because it is just so so so good.

I cannot recommend this film enough. Kids will love it due to Oalaf the hilarious wisecracking snowman and adults will appreciate the romance and love in the unbreakable ties asociated with family and sisterhood.

Buy Frozen and keep it forever!

5.0 out of 5 stars You'll Quickly Thaw to Frozen, 14 Jun. 2015
Mark Baker - Carstairs Considers (Santa Clarita, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Frozen [DVD] (DVD)
I really must admit that I wasn't sure what to make of Frozen in the months leading up to its release. That first trailer, while funny, told us nothing of the story. And just what was it going to be about? After it opened, I started hearing good things about it, but still I hesitated. I was stupid.

The movie tells the story of two sisters who happen to be princesses. Elsa is the older sister, and she has a power - she can create snow and ice all on her own. When playing one day, she accidentally injures her younger sister Anna. From that day forward, she hides from her sister and tries to learn to control her gift.

Things really pick up on Elsa's (voiced by Idina Menzel) coronation day. For the first time in years, the palace will be opened, and Anna (Kristen Bell) is thrilled to actually get to spend time with people. But then Elsa's secret gets out, and she flees. Anna sets out after her, but can she find her sister in the frozen world that has been created? And will Elsa be willing and able to reverse the winter wonderland she's created?

This movie is a bit different from your ordinary Disney movie. While yes, there is a villain, the main conflict comes from the sisters, how they view the world, and how Elsa's gift affects them. I realized this when the villain's comeuppance wasn't really the climax of the piece. But I think that actually worked well for the movie. I certainly am not complaining.

The film is so much fun. I was laughing within the first few minutes but then I was feeling emotion just a couple of minutes later. That continued for the entire course of the film, and it's easy to see why audiences are so drawn to this film. It is storytelling at its best.

And that comes from the characters. Elsa and Anna are both very real, and that makes the story that much more alive. The rest of the characters are good as well, with Olaf the Snowman completely stealing the show. Again, it's because of the characters you care about the outcome and are feeling the joy and sorrow of the piece.

The voice actors are outstanding. They never miss a beat going from comedy to drama flawlessly. You forget they are there and focus completely on the story and the characters they are bringing to life.

I can't leave out the songs. Like the movie itself, they range from the purely comic to the heartfelt character building and will leave you humming as you go out the theater. All of the cast sings their own songs. Kristen Bell is not known for her singing voice, but she should be. Considering she has duets with Broadway powerhouse Idina Menzel and more than holds her own, she needs more chances to shine.

The animation is stunning. The winter landscape created for the movie is beautiful to look at - you can almost feel the cold creeping off the screen as you watch. The ice castle is amazing to behold.

I don't necessarily go to the movies looking for the themes - I mainly go to be entertained. And yet there are some great themes to this film as well. Since they come out of the plot and struggle the characters grow through, I don't want to give anything away. Just keep yours eyes opened and you'll pick up on them by the end.

Finally, I have to mention the Mickey Mouse short that starts things out. It's a mash up of old and new animation. I wasn't sure about it at first, but I got quite a kick out of it by the end. Plus I loved to see Mickey's old pals Horace and Clarabelle being used in it.

While I blamed a busy six weeks on not having seen Frozen sooner, I should have tried harder. This movie is charming and funny with some great themes. I can't recommend it highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars 'A DELIGHTFUL FAMILY WATCH FROM THE 'DISNEY' STUDIO'S', 3 April 2014
rbmusicman/and/movie-fan' (U.K) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
A delightful story adapted from a 'Hans Christian Anderson' tale ~'The Snow Queen'~
'Elsa' has unusual powers everything she touches turns to ice, she has absolutely
no idea how to control them.
Because of a 'chilly' accident 'Elsa' and her younger sister are kept apart within the
palace down the years by order of their father 'The King'
After the loss of both parents during a storm at sea, 'Elsa' is set to become Queen,
however after the ceremony her powers are exposed startling all in attendance.
The new Queen runs away, not by intention as she runs she creates an eternal
winter throughout the Kingdom.
'Anna' with the help of local mountain man 'Kristoff' and reindeer 'Sven' set out to
find 'Elsa' who is trapped within her icy world.
It will be a perilous journey but one that 'Anna' is prepared to take to save her sister.
However there is a wicked plot afoot.........Can both the Queen and the kingdom be saved ?
'Disney' magic again brought to the screen in this computer generated animation
adventure.
A MUST FOR KIDS OF 'ALL' AGES.
A genuinely enjoyable family friendly tale.(You'll love the Characters in the tale)
(The music from the film available on CD)
Great viewing in both it's 3D and 2D versions, superb picture and sound quality
throughout.
* 3D - Feature Film plus bonus:- Features-Disney Enhanced HD picture and sound.
* Original Theatrical short :- Get a Horse.
* Blu-ray Feature Film plus bonus:- Features-Disney enhanced HD picture and sound.
* The making of 'Frozen the Musical.
* D-frosted Disney's journey from 'Hans Christian Anderson' to 'Frozen'
* Deleted scenes with introduction from directors 'Chris Buck' and 'Jennifer Lee'
* 'Let it Go' Music Videos.

5.0 out of 5 stars Some things are worth melting for... Unless you've listened to Let It Go a hundred times on repeat., 19 July 2015
F. Campbell (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Frozen (Amazon Instant Video)
If you haven't seen this film, you may be lucky. Be grateful the Disney machine hasn't sucked you in to a giant Let It Go/Do You Want To Build A Snowman earworm fest. The irritating snowman is my younger child's favourite character. Lovely, shiny, happy-ever-after with all the usual Disney touches such as sing-a-long songs, multilevel humour, and gorgeous animation. (Well, asides from the parents. It's a well known phenomenon that Disney kill off one or both parents, of the main character, in nearly every film.) Your kids will love it. Especially the songs. In some ways, I love it too! Just not as much as I would have loved it if I were still a child.

For the older folks out there, this is a nicey-nice version of Andersen's Snow Queen. Gerda is Anna (queen's sister) and Kai is Elsa (the queen). The queen is not the bad guy. The trolls are good guys! There is no religious stuff. I'd guess the crow is Olaf. The main characters are siblings instead of childhood sweethearts so the Robber Girl is Kristoff (hapless love interest) with his reindeer, Sven. Technically, I guess Kristoff does want to make Anna his playmate. And, finally, the Princess and her castle have been demoted to Wandering Oaken's Trading Post and Sauna. The rest is pretty much straw grasping but the main theme (love conquers all) still runs through. <3

3.0 out of 5 stars FILM 2/5... SNOWMAN... 5/5... 3D 5/5, 3 Nov. 2014
THE OUTCAST (Manchester) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Frozen [Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
Not the best Disney film, and for me one of the worst Disney's films I have seen for ages. The screenplay was awful, I mean where did she get her powers? OH! I know,the trolls who live in the woods know, but never tell anyone, and what was with all the loud and annoying songs, I thought this was a Animation not a musical. On the plus side the 3D is very nice, plus the talking snowman was very funny, shame the film wasn't. I did give it three stars for the picture and 3D, plus my little nieces loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Let it go-turn away and slam the door. I don't care what they will say. Let the storm rage on. The cold never bothered me anyway, 9 Dec. 2013
Maciej "Darth Maciek" (Darth Maciek is out there...) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Frozen [DVD] (DVD)
This is an impressively BEAUTIFUL film, with very endearing characters, solid scenario, fun moments for little ones, good dialogs, impressive images, nice music and one simply unbelievably POWERFUL song, the "Let it go!".

This film was inspired by Hans Christian Andrsen magnificent story the "Snow Queen", published the first time in 1845, but it is only a distant inspiration - the story in the film has very little in common with this classic bittersweet treat. In fact it is a completely different tale, about two princesses, Elsa, the wise but sad elder sister and Anna, the impulsive, merry but a little bit foolish (at least initially) younger one. The sisters love one another dearly, but early in their childhood dire circumstances (and a REALLY stupid advice) erected a wall between them - and in fact also a wall between Elsa and all the rest of the world... And the day this wall unavoidably collapses, well, Elsa will "let it go" - and all hell will break loose! I will say here nothing more about the story.

My 12 year old daughter simply adored this film. My 4 year old daughter liked it too, although she didn't exactly understand the story, but she was quite happy with the snowman Olaf (lots of giggling), the OTHER snowman who was not Olaf (lots of pretending to be afraid), the reindeer Sven ("daddy can I have a reindeer?"), the carrots (an important element of the film), the songs and the beautiful images.

Me, I was absolutely impressed by the visual aspect of this film, the clever dialogs and this INCREDIBLE "Let it go!" song, which is I believe the best musical cinema moment I had since "The circle of life" in "Lion King". And also I was absolutely impressed with the character of Elsa - we can clearly see there a John Lasseter's touch in the scenario, a little bit similar to the "corrected image of typical Disney princess" he already offered us in "Brave" and "Tangled".

This film teaches us many things, including two crucially important warnings for parents:

- if you have a child with issues, do not take advice from a troll! Or at least get also a second opinion!
- if you have one child with issues AND therefore also a vulnerable sibling, BOTH of you should not take stupid risks, because those children need at least one of you to live and be there for them!

The ending is may be just a little bit weaker than one could expect, but after all it is a film for kids and it was appropriate for the young public. Still, this is a minor point and honestly, if "Frozen" doesn't win the Oscar for Best Animated Film and "Let it go!" doesn't take the Oscar for best original song, it will mean there is no justice in this world... UPDATE IN MARCH 2014: well, it seems that there is still some justice left in this world...

This is a great film, to watch absolutely on the big screen, as long as it still plays in theatres - and later, I advise to buy this one on Blu-ray, because here the quality of picture is REALLY important and every pixel counts. ENJOY!

Frozen [Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Frozen [Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray] [Region Free] by Jennifer Lee (Blu-ray - 2014)