5.0 out of 5 stars One not to miss, 28 Mar 2011
Richard Wise (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I saw the whole series in the States and was hooked from the first pilot episode. The series tells the story of a woman fighting to come to terms with grade four cancer by intially keeping it to her self and tries to live out her dreams and aspirations before she dies. Laura Linney plays this role superbly with emotion and comedy and with Liam Neeson making a guest appearance in episode twelve it is well worth watching. I for one will buy the video when released

5.0 out of 5 stars The best thing i've seen in ages.................., 21 April 2011
I've been watching The Big C since the pilot episode a few months ago and i've been hooked ever since. Laura Linney plays a fantastic part as Cathy and is equally matched with such a brilliant cast. I can't remember the last time i was so engrossed in a comedy series as i am with this one, it has made me both laugh and cry many times. I'm so glad we were able to get it over here in the UK, roll on series 2 i say, absolutely brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not your average comedy, 21 Mar 2011
pigsnout (Hitchin, Hertfordshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I love this series which has been showing on More 4. Laura Linney is great as the mum/wife who's been put uptight and put upon all her life and wants to have one last chance at Life. If you're looking for something fresh and different this series is it. Watch out for the gorgeous Idris Elba and a great theme song (Game called life by Leftover Cuties).

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing piece of tele!, 5 May 2011
I've just watched the last of these through a flood of tears. I lost my wife to cancer fairly recently and this has obvious connections. Not the depressing ones, more the black humour that develops during the course of the illness. I recommended it to a friend whose wife had also recently died and we both thought it is an amazing series. I loved it and can totally recommend it to anyone who has the misfortune to be touched by this dreadful disease. It's not for the faint-hearted though. There is a lot of the F word and (ironically!) the C word. But the outstanding aspect of the whole show is the way it swings from humour to pathos and back again.

Incidentally, I read that Laura Linney lost her Father to cancer a mere 6 months before filming this series. So, she definitely got the t-shirt!

There is no doubt - buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Resonance, 6 May 2011
I also have been watching this on More 4 and was absolutely hooked, holds resonance for me too as i have just been diagnosed with stage 4 myself in the much the same position as her character.....well the! same. However it isn't obviously so simple to follow her path but the emotions and the reactions to the illness i could relate to......if you haven't seen it do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Covers every emotion from A to Z, 26 Mar 2012
Art "Art" (Staffordshire) - See all my reviews
If I could work out why it is that some tv series grip you instantly, I'd be very rich. The Big C has just one 'name' (the superb Laura Linney) but the rest of the cast instantly fitted their roles, and we were engrossed.

It is SO good we had to ration ourselves to one episode a day, but the DVD is also full of interviews/ extras so that helped! (In contrast Season 3 of 'Nurse Jackie' has NO extras on the DVD...)

The totally unpredictable plot turns, shock and laughter, even tears is not something that be easily achieved by a 30 min episode, but THIS show does just that.

I cannot recommend it highly enough; it is 'up there' as regards quality/durabilty, with '6 Feet Under', and 'Sopranos', but achieves it more easily than they did.

The writer, and Laura Linney, REALLY know their stuff. I think we will probably watch all series 1 again SOON as we wait for series 2.

THANK YOU!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 9 May 2011
The Big C is by far one of the most underrated series of 2011. I've just finished watching it on more 4, wish there were more great programmes like this. I would highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A-ma-zing, 4 May 2011
S. Lloyd "Cymraes" (South Wales) - See all my reviews
I - like others, have just fiinished watching this on more 4(after my other weekly hit of brothers and sisters). This is an amazing series - engaging from episode 1. The characters are great - probably a combination of great casting and writing.
It'll make you belly-laugh out loud, and believe me it'll make you weep like a baby. My husband got into it half way through - and even he had tears in his eyes. (Dont let that put you off - it is worth the "pain". ) Its difficult to review it without spoiling it.

It'll be the best 390 minutes of TV you watch this year. I can't wait for series 2.

5.0 out of 5 stars the big charm!, 26 Feb 2011
Jason Fortune (ireland) - See all my reviews
this is a charming little series, funny, sad and fresh, highly recommend it and at 27mins an episode, it wont kill you to check it out! series 2 starts in the uk on more 4, jan 19th 2012!

5.0 out of 5 stars Struck a chord - great series, 4 Oct 2011
Mr. Robert A. Kemp (Southampton UK) - See all my reviews
I found this to be a refreshing, poignant and blackly humorous series. Great character development and good story-lines. Much to applaud here. I hope the follow-up hits the same heights.

The Big C - Season 1