on 2 April 2014
I read favourable comments about this disc in a recent edition of the Gramophone. I also thought that I had heard these works before and liked them. In fact I had mistaken these concertos for some clarinet concertos by the same composer.
I cannot drum up much enthusiasm for these flute concertos, and I have listened to them many times. Perhaps they are 'pretty' but they are not very interesting nor original. One very annoying feature is that Mercadante is very fond of repeating phrases .
Some melodies are quite pleasing but there is not enough contrast. The flute writing is often virtuosic, but to little effect.
The chamber orchestra accompanying Patrick Gallois is not at all special and does not seem particularly involved in the music.
Of course Patrick Gallois' playing is excellent and I suppose that it is good to have more flute concertos to listen to and it is enterprising of Naxos to give us the opportunity to hear them. It would, of course, be a shame if Naxos ever scaled back their readiness to explore little known music.
Though I am not really recommending this disc it is very cheap and anyone interested in this genre will not be losing much, if like me, they find it all a bit ordinary. I am a believer in trying rare works.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Filme bom
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again