on 11 November 2013
...because I was torn between the idea of a proper mix by one of the all-time greats of modern DJing, and having the tracks unmixed so that I could mix or at least reorder them myself. I've gone for the latter view, but I respect the views of the one-star voters. It is a bit of a con to show Tong at the decks on the cover of this collection when there's not a mix in sight and just about every track is a radio edit. This is more of a 'Clubbing History 101' for those younger than I am - 59, like one of the one-star posters. Interesting that none of the commenters so far [mine is the 9th] has quibbled with the track selection, so the real issue is mixed/unmixed and the misleading cover pic.
44 comments| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 November 2013
Like most people over 30 and into house music I own most of these tracks several times over, however when I saw the track listings I thought what a quality collection, perfect "new" cd for the car. However buyers and house music fans beware....

On the face of it this triple cd is indeed a representation of some of the best music of an (or even several) eras. HOWEVER don't be fooled, despite the artwork on the front cover the tracks ARENT EVEN MIXED!!! To add insult to injury a quick skim through shows they are pretty much all nasty 3 minute radio edits with vocal fade downs at the end of each track.... hardly reflective of what the House music scene that has brought you fame and fortune is all about Mr. Tong!!!

15 plus years ago I spent (what was then) silly money to see Pete Tong DJ at the Ministry of Sound on New Years Eve. I felt sorely let down when the mixing was appalling and Mr Tong could be seen beer bottle in hand behind the decks (related??). Once again I feel ripped off and for anybody still considering buying this cd save yourself some money and pick mine up second hand as it is heading straight for eBay. CDs 1 and 3 haven't even been played!
1212 comments| 103 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 November 2013
I can see a number of (valid) comments about these tracks not being mixed - but for someone like me who cannot stand mixed albums (particularly compilations) and often listens to such albums on shuffle, this is perfect.

I spotted this album on Google Music, but they only seem to have a dozen or so of the tracks listed. When I realized this contained 60 tracks (particularly such a brilliant selection), I couldn't believe it. Plus instant download/playback through Amazon Cloud Player.

Great stuff!
on 1 December 2013
You know those 'Ministry of Sound' albums when they play 5 or 6 blinding tracks on the TV advert and you think "wow, that's a great compilation"; then you look at the rest of the track listing and realise you've never heard of any of the others on there?

No such problem with this album. What we have here are 60 classic tracks from the last 25 years of dance music, every one of them memorable and recognisable.

Serious dance aficionados should note that this is not a mix album, the tracks are all stand alone and primarily radio edits, and as far as I can tell Pete Tong has no influence past lending his image to the cover. However, for fair-weather fans that just want some cracking tunes for the home or car, the album is dynamite.

I purchased the digital version - £5.99 breaks down to 10p per track...nothing Pete Tong with that!
on 4 December 2013
Mixed with skill a seriously great compilation,a good line up of tracks,BUT it isn`t so just brought out at crimbo just to fleece the punters with no class or effort.He probably didn`t even choose the tunes,,,AND Pete Tong paid very well just to sit on the the front cover,shame on you,where`s your principles man,paying fans put you where you are.Fool me once shame on you,fool me twice shame on me,aint going to happen.AVOID
on 23 November 2013
Peter Tong should be embarrassed putting his name to this, I would like to think that he hasn't actually listened to is so bad. There are massive gaps between tracks they also finish far too early. Can't listen to it. Shame
on 27 November 2013
A great compilation and as a bonus you get the free MP3. I'm not sure what Pete Tong's contribution was (did he select the playlist?) as none of the tracks a mixed
on 12 August 2015
This is a DJ's dream. For about £5 you gain a huge collection of tunes - many of them stone cold classics. Contained are 3 discs of easy access music -albeit with some radio edits - hey ho, this just involves some quick mixing. Being completely subjective, I've just begun a residency in a local bar catering for 30 somethings, so this compilation is ideal.
GrandMaster Flash and Fatboy Slim's efforts are worth a look too. I bought the three of them and for about twenty quid have got an invaluable collection of floor fillers.
on 8 November 2013
Wow. I don't buy loads of house music, but I do know my club anthems. And this contains ALL of them!

Unlike other reviewers, I am very happy this is not DJ mixed, as it reminds me of the Mastercuts albums back in the day. This is more like the quality Trevor Nelson album from earlier this year, which also covered 3 decades of classics from the origins of the genre brought bang up to date with some recent hits.

Having listened to it non-stop since buying it, I definitely didn't have any issues with songs feeling too short, each one sounds exactly how I remember it (check the samples for yourself). And all those memories really came flooding back! With massive crossover hits (be it Adamski, Daft Punk, Robin S or Faithless) interspersed with absolute undisputed underground gems (such as Nightwriters, Marshall Jefferson, Joe Smooth or Future Sound Of London), there is literally no one that can honestly say this isn't a true history of house.

Purists looking for something super deep and more obscure, this clearly isn't aimed at you.

It has 60 very big tracks, none of which doesn't deserve a place on this collection. My favourite is Gat Décor. Big up Pete, the legend.
on 22 November 2013
Good mix of music for the price. Brought back many happy memories but realise I am getting too old now!