on 1 May 2014
With a title like Keeping up with the Joneses it's likely you'll think as I did that the Doctor will be accompanied by Martha Jones on this adventure but instead he meets another face from his recent past, Lady Christine de Souza, last seen in Planet of the Dead...but is it really her? After the Tardis hits a temporal mine, the Doctor finds himself in Jonestown. In fact the Welsh town in somehow in the Tardis. How can this be? Who is Christina really and most importantly what is the Doctor going to do about the violent storm threatening not just Jonestown but the entire universe?!
Of the Time Trips books I've read so far this felt the closest to a TV episode. Nick Harkaway captures David Tennant's Doctor on paper almost perfectly. There's the self-assured cockiness, the stream of consciousness monologues, the belief in life and in change tempered by that darker side willing to seek vengeance, "no second chances". Christina is likeable with enough mystery about her to make you question her motives and reliability. Other characters too are pleasingly fleshed out in a format that doesn't always allow for much in the way of characterisation, the monster in particular is a fantastic conception.
So the characterisation is excellent but what of the story? Happily that too is believable and engaging. It's a well-structured story which is exciting, tense and thoughtful. It has the required sciencey bits that fit a Who story, not necessarily the sort of science that holds up to critical analysis but the time wimey stuff that so suits the Doctor's adventures. The ending thankfully doesn't feel rushed and makes sense which isn't always the case with short stories.
This has been my favourite Time Trips so far, it was a pleasure to read and has whetted my appetite both for more Doctor Who stories and more books by Nick Harkaway.
I received a free copy of this book through Netgalley in return for my unbiased review.
on 12 April 2014
With this being a novella I was expecting to be able to read it very quickly, as I have with the DW quick reads, but that was not the case. It took me quite a long while to read it and it just wasn't all that good. Ten is one of my favorite Doctors and he was barely recognizable. There were some glimpses of him, but that was it. So that was a let down. I was also a little disappointed that it didn't feature Martha Jones, since I thought she would be feature from the title of the story, but that wasn't that big of deal for me. Overall, this was just an okay read.

I received a complimentary copy of this book to review. I was asked to give my honest opinion of the book - which I have done.
on 15 March 2014
When the TARDIS is attacked by a weapon left over from the Time War, the Doctor is left battling for survival, in a small hotel in a quiet Welsh town! To make matters worse, he is still within the TARDIS, as is the town itself!

This particular Time Trip starts fairly oddly and entirely frivolously, before getting odder and even more frivolous. With the Tenth Doctor at his silliest, Nick Harkaway has taken every opportunity to present us with demonstrations of his wit and humour, which like the Doctor's bonkers mood, is sustained far longer than it ever was in this particular incarnation's run on TV.
Which is where this story stumbles a little: this is undeniably the Tenth Doctor, but he sustains a level of intensly energetic absurdity that Tennant never did. If anything, it is far more akin to Matt Smith's Eleventh Doctor at points than anything else. Thankfully though, things do manage to pull together somewhat towards the end and we do get a rapid, but effective denouement.

Overall, this was a strange read, not really feeling like a short novel, more like an extended story from one of the annuals, but it did manage to capture SOME of the essence of the series. Do not attempt to approach this with any sense that it is a serious piece of work or that it will add anything to the canon or history, but as a piece of light ephemera that will help you while away a couple of evenings. In that respect, this particular book was worth a read and probably worth the price of admission.
on 6 February 2014
Due to a temporal mine, a sentient weapon left over from the Time War, manifesting itself as a malevolent storm, the Tardis appears to merge with a Welsh village with some odd and disastrous consequences.

This is actually quite a difficult book to review without giving spoilers. It appears to be mostly set in the Tardis (at least I think so). This seems to follow a recent trend. In fact, this novella has a few things in common with 'Amy's Choice'.

Although the writing style can be quite entertaining the storyline is a little too frivolous and silly. It is hard to take the threat seriously. This is also generally the lighter side of the Tenth Doctor. The characterisation of the Doctor is a bit random though. It flitters between Tenth and Eleventh with a bit of the Sixth. Other than Christina, whose role is probably the most intriguing element of the story, there isn't much in the way of worthwhile characters. Heidt is pretty bland and most others appear briefly for comic effect, and are all called Jones???

Personally I didn't particularly like the story but there is enough humour in it to sustain it for the length of the novella.
on 6 February 2014
I'm a bit timeworn, really.

Geddit.

Timeworn? Because I'm a time traveller.. it's funny.. nobody?

Well, allons-y, as they say. Not really "they", just me. Everyone just glances at me like I've completely lost it when I say, 'allons-y' but I'm used to that.

Anyway, I'm rambling, as I do, stop me if it gets too much but after all that doom and gloom stuff on Mars, it's heartening (good word, heartening) to see an adventure of mine written as a story.

It's an fairly honest account although Nick used some artistic license - the devil! - and it's nice to see how he captured me on paper. Very well, is the answer.

And he got Lady Christina de Souza in, too, although I won't spoil any of the secrets in store.

Overall, a fantastic recount of a very fun adventure I had.

(Nick, I'll see you in battle at the Dalek Invasion of Hull, or maybe at the Heat-Death of Katie Hopkins - I'll bring the popcorn!)
*I received a copy of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Thanks to Random House UK, Ebury Publishing and Nick Harkaway*

When the TARDIS is suddenly attacked by a temporal mine, the Tenth Doctor suddenly finds himself in the Welsh town of Jonestown whose residents are strangely familiar. With help from Christina de Souza, who may or may not be the real Christina, The Doctor must stop the temporal mine from ripping the TARDIS apart.

This was a fun book that I enjoyed. The Tenth Doctor is my favourite so I might be a bit biased but I found the plot clever and intriguing and it held my attention well. A good read.
on 1 March 2015
A novella focussing around the Tenth Doctor, as played by David Tennant on that tellybox. It's short enough not to bore, and cracks along with the feverish energy you'd associate with this iteration of the character. Tennant's performance is captured particularly well on the page, which in itself will be all you need to know to tell you whether you're going to like the tale. The plot itself only makes half a sense, and hangs on a concept (the TARDIS is infinitely big, and contains multitudes) that has been better explored elsewhere, but it rattles along and is intensely likeable despite its flaws.
on 9 February 2014
This story was perfect in character and tone for Dr Who. It was humorous and entertaining. A pleasant, quick read, and it includes a memorial tribute to Iain Banks.
on 3 March 2014
Probably one of the worse Doctor Who stories I have read, and I have read a few in my time.
Characters not likeable and I did not recognise David Tennant's doctor at all Sorry
on 6 August 2014
I've read a few of these books, but I enjoyed this the most. Admittedly I'm a little biased as I'm a big fan of Harkaway, but he seems to really get Tennant's Doctor.