5.0 out of 5 stars Great sounding balanced headphones
Published 13 months ago by Secret Squirrel

2.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic sound, comfort issues.
As earlier reviewers have mentioned, the sound quality is fantastic - neutral (in a good way), wide soundstage, excellent separation.

Published 11 months ago by chaza

2.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic sound, comfort issues., 28 May 2014
This review is from: Focal Spirit Classic Headphones (Electronics)

However, the ear cups are not big enough for slightly above average sized ears. They are not truly 'circumaural' and the pads tend to rub my ears. The calliper pressure is also very high out of the box, though this reduces with time.

Focal need to consider either thinning the ear-cups, increasing the size/ dimensions somewhat, or giving users the option by making XL ear-pads, as V-moda did with theirs.

Could have been fantastic, Focal just need to sort the comfort out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sounding balanced headphones, 11 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Focal Spirit Classic Headphones (Electronics)
These headphones come in a really rather nice foam padded box, and look like a luxury item. The headband is covered in soft padded leather (at least it smells like leather) with metal arms holding the ear cups, which are mostly plastic. The ear pads themselves are covered in a faux leather and are very soft (memory foam). For me, after an initial adjustment period (for me and the headphones) they are quite comfortable to wear. I get away with wearing glasses which have thin arms, though maybe thicker glasses would not work so well. So much for the aesthetics, which are about in line with the price.

The sound quality of these headphones is something else. I have experience with other somewhat more expensive headphones (B&W P5, Denon AH-D2000) as well as cheaper ones (Grado SR80, Sennheiser PX-100) and the Focal Spirit Classics are in a league above them all. Detail is excellent across the audio spectrum and music sounds very complete, with no excessive emphasis or dips, and very punchy (great dynamics). The bass goes deep without any booming, and has very low distortion. Treble is free of sibilance.

In short, these headphones present music close to the original mix, with a rich and full sound. While listening to my favourite music over the last few days, I have discovered many details previously hidden, and in some cases it is like hearing a completely new version of the track.

Downsides are few for me. Sonically, there isn’t much to complain about. Dull mixes still sound dull, and there is no coloration to lift them out. Comfort is okay, but the headband has quite a high clamping force which I hope will alleviate over time. Portability is tricky since there is no supplied case and the bag, which nice enough, is just a cloth bag - it will protect from scuffs but not from hard knocks. The shorter cable (with inline microphone and control button) sounds quite different than the 4m cable: it needs much higher volume and didn’t sound as good (perhaps because it is thinner and/or has the microphone line). To get the most out of these headphones, use the longer cable (which the manual itself recommends).

Overall, I think these are remarkable headphones, and even more so for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, simply wonderful, 25 Dec. 2014
Superb headphones!
My previous headphones (Philips) were in use for roundabout 6 years, after every listening session I had a ringing sensation in my ears.
I thought that was normal, I just limited using the headphones from time to time.

After I received the Focal headphones (within days after ordering), I listened for hours on end.
To my surprise, no ringing sensation afterwards!
These Focal headphones have a fantastic quality feel to it and (more importantly) the sound is truly phenomenal & enjoyable.

there is a noticeable difference between the supplied cables; the short one lacks a bit in the bass-region, but even with this cable the Focal headphones outperform my previous model headphones.
With he long (much thicker) cable I can actually hear certain details in familiar songs that were previously undetected.

5.0 out of 5 stars Premier Standard Headphones, 17 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Focal Spirit Classic Headphones (Electronics)
Superb in all respects,Build Quality,Looks,Sound Quality (and they are not even burned in yet)

They say "You Get What You Pay For" and definitely very true here as you just know from the Look Sound Build Quality & Fit that these are a cut above anything else.You may pay a Premium Price but in my opinion these will pay for them selves in listening pleasure and longevity

Beats Headphones are all show and no substance basically a fashion accessory these however are quality to their very core

Superb!!! Cans

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Sound and Build Quality - Focal Classic, 13 April 2014
David E (UK Droitwich Spa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Focal Spirit Classic Headphones (Electronics)
I did the customary weeks of reading reviews and contemplation, sound familiar.....?

There isn't a great deal online regarding these phones as Focal are rather newcomers to headphones , but the most comprehensive review I found was at InnerFidelity's "Wall of Fame" which has a video and great links to other reviews.

As for my own personal experience 3 days in, I am primarily listening to ITunes and Spotify through my Samsung netbook via an external Meridian Explorer DAC. This makes a massive quality difference to the normal soundcard output and drives the Focal Classics very easily, they are very clear and musical, laid back and unforced but with plenty of drive and oomph. The base is solid and controlled not over blown or bloated. Mid range including voices are clear and focused, top end is precise and accurate, no thin unresolved splash but beautifully detailed.

I also tried them via the normal netbook soundcard which does change things somewhat, the soundstage drops away, base is lumpy and the top end is far less resolved which is reflective of the soundcard not the phones. The sound is only as good as the front end driving them and they are very capable of stepping up if given a decent sound source. tried them also with my iPod touch and was pleasantly surprised how good it sounded playing AACC and Apple lossless files, the base rhythms were driven and reasonably well resolved and more in yer face and upfront than via the Meridian DAC.

Yes I like them, the design is a little different from the norm, very appealing to the eye and very well built. An appropriate mix of brushed metal and quality plastic components. Not sure the head band is leather though as stated in some reviews, I think its synthetic but could be wrong. As feedback on comments voiced in a number of reviews regarding the size of the ear cups and comfort factor, yes they could have been larger but my ears are normal bloke size and they fit me fine. As for comfort, well they have hardly been off my head over the weekend and I have found them pretty comfortable once adjusted and in place. I purchased these exclusively for home use, they could be used on the move as quite isolating from external noise if you wanted but my first choice are more discrete in- ear SHURE buds.

In conclusion its the sound quality that really counts which is exceptionally detailed and neutral, they can really show off their pedigree if given a good quality source but are kind to lower quality or old material recorded well before the digital revolution. The best price I found was on Amazon around £194 ENJOY !

5.0 out of 5 stars comfortable and sound quality is, 15 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Focal Spirit Classic Headphones (Electronics)
Superb headphones, comfortable and sound quality is great

Focal Spirit Classic Headphones
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available