5.0 out of 5 stars Very powerful and a good size for running with
I have previously owned the following headtorches
Petzl Myo XP (80 Lumens claimed)
Alpkit Gamma (88 Lumens claimed)
Alpkit Manta (100 Lumens claimed)
No-Name Lenser H7 copy (160 Lumens claimed)
A no-name 1600 lumen CREE XM-L T6 monster that isn't that feasible for running with which is what I want a headtorch for.
I can say therefore that in...
Published 11 months ago by Dominic Shields

3.0 out of 5 stars spoilt by complexity
Published 3 months ago by stephen ede

5.0 out of 5 stars Very powerful and a good size for running with, 16 Mar. 2014
This review is from: LED Lenser LED7298 H7R.2 Rechargeable Head Lamp Box (DIY & Tools)
I have previously owned the following headtorches
Petzl Myo XP (80 Lumens claimed)
Alpkit Gamma (88 Lumens claimed)
Alpkit Manta (100 Lumens claimed)
No-Name Lenser H7 copy (160 Lumens claimed)
I can say therefore that in my frame of reference, the Lenser H7R.2 is an exceptional torch, obviously Lumens claims should be treated with a pinch of salt but the HR7.2 is significantly better than the H7 copy which itself is significantly better than the Petzl and Alpkits.
The rechargeable battery takes a while to charge by Micro USB but I like the fact that it uses such a common adapter, in an emergency the rechargeable unit comes out and can be replaced by AAAs instead which is also a nice touch. Initially the size of the battery compartment ws something I noticed but soon forgot about when running. One downside is that the manual is printed in tiny text and I haven't been able to find a (full) manual online.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blinded by the light!, 7 May 2014
I've used plenty of head torches and hand held from the mini mags, good old million candle power (yeah right) including the copied ones produced by our good friends in Asia right up to a SAR lights sitting high up in the sky.
The Lenser H7R.2 is up there with the best of them in the head light/torch field, the build quality is pretty darn good rugged yet light enough to wear on your head comfortably for hours at a time.
Whether you use this for cycling, running or working on your car don't have any doubt that this Lenser will do the job just right.
The brightness is extremely good in fact it's so bright the user manual makes it very clear that you should not shine it directly into the eyes (unless you spot a burglar and want to dazzle him!).
The features on the lenser are very useful, from flood to spot with a 90 degree tilt and from low light to full on arc welding brightness with the turn of a dial or a press of a button.
It can be reconfigured to strobe and bright or dim and bright by pressing and holding the rear dial for 5 seconds, along with this the rear dial glows red with one press or strobes with a second press.

Charge time is 4-5 hours going by the book but top up charges are quicker, you also have the option of using AAA batteries in the event of losing power from the battery pack.

All in all this Lenser is a great all rounder. A must have for people who either live in caves or cycle, run work with tools etc etc
Oh yes I've seen a few comments about the head band not being big enough! Just how big are people's heads getting these days I wonder?

5.0 out of 5 stars Does as it says on the box, 19 Jan. 2014
Very powerful head torch. Adaptable AAA batteries can be used as well at the rechargeable batteries. The added facility to lock off the on button is very useful when the head torch is in your rucksack.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 24 Nov. 2014
This is a serious lamp. I'd put it top of the premier league of lamps. The brightness blows away any of the cheap head torches out there. I use it for jogging at night and in spot light mode I noticed cars coming towards me were dipping their headlamps a long way off, i think they thought a motorbike was coming. Its very comfortable to wear and doesn't slip down even without an over the top headband. It came with the battery pack already pretty well charged, it lasted about 7hrs. I've only charged it up once but it's done about eight hours and still ok. One thing I did find distracting was when the battery is getting low it flashes on and off 3 times every minute or so to warn you, in the pitch black this was a strange sensation for my eyes. That is the only negative I can think of though, overall it's a superb lamp. PS: Dont look directley at people with the light on it will seriously dazzle them!

4.0 out of 5 stars good torch but Amazon sell EU plug with it, not UK, 28 Aug. 2014
good torch but Amazon sell EU plug with it, not UK. This was not clear on ordering and is a bit annoying, you then have a huge, flimsy thing sticking off the wall as you have to plug the adapter into a UK converter plug as well. Not lenser's fault but Amazons. The Lenser adapter is very neat and the EU prongs snap onto it, if only Amazon had supplied the UK prongs to snap on…….. They could probably be sourced but at extra expense.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the money, 24 Oct. 2014
After recently getting more seriously into wild camping with some friends, my £5 head torch from a supermarket didn’t live very long with regular use and bad weather. I knew I wanted a CREE chip version, as I’d seen a friends CREE bike lamp and I was blown away at what a single LED from this manufacturer could do. A lot of the CREE LED versions on here however seemed to originate from China with some worrying reports of the 3.7V batteries getting very hot and/or exploding. Aside from having my head exploded (that would knock at least two stars off a review) I didn’t fancy the 4 to 6 week wait for delivery either! Priorities. That and not being able to use standard AAA batteries in a pinch…

So as I always do, I started off with a £20 budget version in mind, and ended up blowing way past it for this model from a reputable EU manufacturer and UK stock. But I am so glad I did. This head torch ticks all the boxes.

The next day delivery was just that. Ordered at 4pm Wednesday, and got the locker collection code for pick up 12:30pm next day.

It is well made, and whilst it is plastic and not aluminium like higher price-point versions, it does not have any worrying flex or rattle. The hinged beam angle adjustment seems firm and unlikely to move when jostled about, but could have done with being a little stiffer. The focus adjustment ring is not too lose, but is not so stiff you’ll struggle to adjust it with wet gloves on. I like the rear battery pack which gives a better balance over my old front mounted version, plus the rear flashing red LED is a nice touch. The cabling from the battery pack seems of high quality and unlikely to cause me any problems.

Suitably impressed with build quality, I inserted the battery pack and charged it up. I had to do this using my own HTC phone charger, as the one supplied was an EU 2 pin plug, not the 3 pin UK version. It took a little over two hours to charge (but this was not from flat), and the LED indicators in the control wheel indicate charging state. Red for charging, green for charged.

I knew from my mistake with my friend’s aforementioned bike lamp not to look into a CREE lamp when turned on. Even trying this out in daylight in my front room impressed greatly. It goes incredibly bright, and has an even light spread throughout its entire focal range. At night time it’s more than you’ll ever need for seeing where you are going on foot. For close tasks you really need the lower settings or it is uncomfortably bright. Thankfully not only do you have a ‘HIGH’ and ‘LOW’ option, with each option you can tune the brightness further by adjusting the dial on the battery pack. You get a helpful blink of the beam when it reaches Max and Min values.

One nice sensible touch is that the power cycles from OFF to LOW mode first by default, before going on to HIGH modes. This lets you use the night-vision-saving setting without having to ruin your night vision cycling through other brighter modes first. It also remembers which intensity setting you had LOW on previously, so if you had the setting turned way down to preserve night vision, it will still be on that setting even you if had switched to a higher mode and made adjustments. Someone at LED Lenser was thinking when they made this. It is appreciated! It is possible to swap this sequence about though if you would prefer the torch to go from OFF to FULL first. There is a decent notched feeling between dial settings, so again there is no trouble using this with wet gloves.

Although I don’t see this being a problem for me, there is another feature to prevent accidental activation if it’s in a bag. With the torch off, long-press the power button for 5 seconds and it locks the torch off. It takes another 5 second long-press to release the lock. Personally I find the power button stiff enough to be unlikely to accidentally activate, but the feature is there if you want it. A long press with the torch already on activates a timed BOOST mode which maxes lumen output temporarily. I have not timed this, as personally so far HIGH mode on its own is plenty for most tasks. I suppose if you really need to find that gate across a field at night, this is the mode you want.

Cleverer still, you can decide how the torch handles it power delivery. You have two options. The economy mode will let the brightness gradually decrease in line with charge from the battery pack. This will prolong the use you get out of it before it needs charging at the cost of light output towards the end of the charge. The other mode keeps brightness at whatever setting you have selected for as long as the battery can keep that up. Obviously you’ll get less notice when the battery becomes exhausted. The battery low warning is three blinks of the beam every 15 seconds.

Having only used this on one outing so far, I cannot comment on battery life so I’ll update when I have to do my first charge. I will also charge it up off my portable 22400mAh battery pack from the 2.1A output to see if that helps charging times. This was another reason I chose this head torch. It is another device that can charge off micro USB. So far though, it has gone through two full nights of use which I estimate to be 12 hours with various settings (mostly LOW) and is still as good as when I started.

I can’t think of a single reason not to recommend this torch. Buy with confidence.

5.0 out of 5 stars Let there be light, 5 Dec. 2014
Excellent light , even on the lowest setting .
When walking in the dark produces a 2-3 m diameter circle of light , no real comparison to work mates headlamps other than the one with the top of the range lenser , not much difference there either that I can see . Half the price and nice and compact , battery life is also great , well worth the money .

5.0 out of 5 stars For serious users, 30 July 2014
Excellent. However had to buy an adapter for the charger as the one supplied is for European plugs not uk.
Have taken it out once fishing and performed very well on a very dark night with low cloud across the beach. This is worth the money if you're serious about needing light to get off remote beaches/terrain safely.

3.0 out of 5 stars spoilt by complexity, 16 Nov. 2014
as a torch its good but so complicated ! it took me ages even to work out how to fit the battery . instructions such as they are are unintelligible . ridiculously short charging lead and euro plug rather than normal three pin uk plug . I was very pleased with the previous model h7 which gave me great service until my spaniel decided to eat it . I use my torch for getting the logs in ,going in the garden to check the dogs and when im duck shooting . unless you go caving or mountaineering you don't need all these features so save some money and get the simpler model . I wish I had . the brand itself is very good and the light is brilliant but why must manufacturers not be content with a good existing product instead of inventing something too clever for its own good with features that most of us will never use .

3.0 out of 5 stars Come on Amazon, 24 Oct. 2014
First things first, Amazon delivered this late, or rather Yodel I suppose. The headlamp itself is very good, the instructions for changing the modes are not the best, but once you have it worked out, it's quite simple to operate. Very powerful led and is very well made. The main issue I have is that the supplied mains USB charger is NOT for the UK. Amazon supplies it with a EU plug, rendering the charging via anything other than a USB port on a PC utterly useless! Amazon, why do you do this?? But the most annoying thing about the whole purchase........it only arrived 24 hrs ago and the current price is now £5 less than what I paid, very annoying indeed!