4.0 out of 5 stars Love hate relationship
I both love and loathe this phone, the fact I have rewritten the review many times is testament to this.

I have been searching for the perfect mobile phone before the market forgets those who don't want huge touchscreen mini computer nonsense whose battery lasts 12 hours and are awkward to use as an actual phone, the so called "smartphone".

As for...
Published 9 months ago by John Carr

I bought Nokia 515 because I do not like smartphones (because you have to re-charge it twice a day; and I do not want to be connected to internet at all times). A new model of Nokia seemed like a plausible alternative. It has a good built quality and excellent battery life (approx. 5 days)

But I was also expecting to have a good camera. Unfortunately, this...
Published 13 months ago by ozgun

4.0 out of 5 stars Love hate relationship, 13 Aug. 2014
John Carr "johncolescarr" (Tyne and Wear, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nokia 515 Sim-Free Mobile Phone - Black (Electronics)

As for design, it is simply beautiful, slightly curved back and front, aluminium and glass, iphone esk only a better size. It will still look good in 10 years time. Its a real classic design that I think will stand the test of time.

Call quality is excellent. So far so good

But but but...battery life is 4 days from full to dead, no matter if you switch off bluetooth, data, 3g. Its the biggest disappointment. This is with light usage as well. I very much doubt it could standby for 38 days, more like 10 at best. You'll be charging this phone every 3 days. If you switch it off at night you might squeeze a week out of it.

Signal strength is not as good as a cheapy plastic old nokia phones. At my workplace I sometimes have the phone dropping to no signal just when I wanted to send a text. I think this is the fault of ineffective design of the aluminium casing. On the plus side I haven't had any dropped calls. The signal strength symbol only has 4 bars and 1 bar is enough for calls and texts.

Software is surprisingly buggy as well, not smartphone buggy but it will take some rousing from standby on some occasions and will give info screens several seconds after you expect them, like lockscreen notification for example. I have tried updating to the latest software OTA but this has always failed.

It is a real faff to prise the back of the phone off, which you need to do to access the sim and sd card slot. Removing the sim card is a real pain a well.

These things take the phone from the most perfect business phone to frustrating, especially as with a bit of tweaking it could be amazing.

Woe betide anyone who wants to use the more advanced functions too, sending photos via Bluetooth? FAIL, set up gmail email client with 2 step authentication? FAIL. Luckily I only bought this phone for calls and text, otherwise I would be bitterly disappointed. It does pair with my car Bluetooth though.

I lent this to my wife when her iPhone went in the bath (I used my trusty Nokia 105 backup phone) and it did pick up a few scratches and a bump to the aluminium case in the week she used it (toddler chucked it across the room, banging about in a handbag etc, grrr). The front was unmarked however and you can pick up replacement case backs for about £5 from eBay. It is a solid phone but not as blemish resistant as the glass coated or polycarbonate phones. You can pick up replacement parts pretty readily and cheaply which is more than can be said about some devices.

I applaud Nokia for creating a true premium non smart phone for those of us who loathe todays pointless, technology obsessed culture, but who also love a bit of luxury. It is a luxury phone insofar as its design and build, but on all other fronts it is extravagant for what it is; its certainly not value for money.

The rub really is that battery life, I ditched the smartphone as I was fed up of always thinking where my next charge was coming from, but this phone only goes part way to address this, I really wanted a weekly charge without switching if off at night, like the days of yore...

4.0 out of 5 stars great - nice and easy, 7 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Nokia 515 Sim-Free Mobile Phone - Black (Electronics)
very clear and simple to use, call quality is great. Would recommend it to anyone who doesn't want a touch screen phone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty much perfect, 19 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Nokia 515 Sim-Free Mobile Phone - Black (Electronics)
I've had a number of Android phones, as well as the Windows Phone Nokia Lumia 800. All great, but this time around I thought I'd go for something a bit more simple. Admittedly, you can get simple phones for a tenner these days if you just want calls and texts. However, the Nokia 515 is worth the extra cash just for it's beautiful looks and premium feel. It's made of sand-blasted aluminium and on the front you have Corning Gorilla Glass 2, which should resist scratches if the claims are true. I've seen some reviewers complaining about the keypad as it's quite glossy, however, I think this works really well. Viewed at certain angles it looks as if the screen and keypad are just one big smooth, shiny surface.

The back of the phone is just beautiful. It's a unibody design, and you can only get the back off using a little pin that comes in the box. This means the back is one smooth plate of cool metal, only interrupted by the camera, LED flash, and a rubberish rectangle at the bottom which I believe is something to do with the antenna. Slick.

Onto the features. The main things I need from a phone are calls, texts, music, internet browsing, and maybe the occasional email. The Nokia 515 does all of these things brilliantly, apart from internet browsing. I didn't even bother with the built in browser, I just installed Opera straight away as I know it tends to speed things up a bit by compressing data. To be fair, if you just want to look at BBC News or Facebook, it's perfectly adequate. It's not painfully slow but it's also not lightning fast, although my previous phone was a Samsung Galaxy S2 so maybe I'm just used to that. The Nokia 515 claims to be 3.5g, so I don't know if it's the speed of the downloads or the processor that's holding things up. Anyhow, I sit at a computer all day at work, drive home, then have a laptop here, so in all honesty it's not a massive loss going without mobile browsing.

For calls and texts the phone is just perfect. Going back to a traditional keypad, I find that I can now text without even looking at the phone, and using predictive text it's just as fast, if not faster than using a touch screen qwerty keypad. The Nokia 515 also claims to use HD calling (depending on the network). I don't know if Orange supports "HD calling" but the quality is superb.

A special mention should also go to the battery. Because there's no huge screen or quad-core processor eating up the battery, I can easily go for two days without a charge. But I listen to music for about two hours a day using a big pair of Sony headphones. If I didn't do this, I dare say the battery would last three to four days.

On the subject of music, I've put in a 32gb micro SD with about 17gb of music (1800 tracks). When I launch the music player it does take around three seconds to load the playlist. At first I was slightly annoyed by this, but now I think "come on Ricky, what's three seconds, honestly?!" Although there's no EQ control, the sound quality through my Sony ZX600 headphones is brilliant, and the volume is unbearably loud if I turn it right up. Just the right balance of bass and treble. Even though I use iTunes to import CDs to my laptop, the Nokia 515 still recognises all the mp3 tags and album art. It can play via bluetooth which is great if you have one of those new-fangled speakers from HMV. In a nutshell, the Nokia 515 does not miss a beat in this department, in fact I'd be happy to buy this as a standalone music player.

Before I forget, the camera's not bad either. You're not going to win any awards for the snaps you take on the 515, but for those spur-of-the-moment shots it's actually pretty good. Plenty of options and tweaks to choose from, but it is fixed focus as a pose to auto focus.

So in summary, I actually love this phone. Fair enough I can't do online banking any more, or find local restaurants using Google Maps. But if you have a serious think, I'm sure you can survive without these tools, especially if you have regular access to a computer or tablet. It just takes a few days of adjusting to having a phone in your pocket rather than a palm-sized tablet. The only reason I haven't scored five stars is the browser speed, it doesn't bother me personally but I appreciate it could be a selling point for others. Go on, you know it makes sense!

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple, light, slim, well made phone that slips into your pocket, 1 Dec. 2013
B. W. Scotcher (Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nokia 515 Sim-Free Mobile Phone - Black (Electronics)
Purchased this to replace my Nokia N96 which I used as my main mobile for 5 years. I've acquired HTC Desire HD smart phones and the like over the years through new contracts and upgrades but when I really only use my mobile phone to make calls, send texts and perhaps check the weather, I dont really need a brick of a touch screen smart phone.

Believe it or not I am a tech freak - two laptops, tablet, MP3 players, touch screen phones, desktop PC, Xbox 360, PS3, smart tv, but i just want a phone that does the basics and has a LONG battery standby life.

Very happy with this phone.

3.0 out of 5 stars good battery life and built quality, poor camera and internet connection, 26 April 2014
This review is from: Nokia 515 Sim-Free Mobile Phone - Black (Electronics)

But I was also expecting to have a good camera. Unfortunately, this model's camera is pretty bad. The pictures are blurry etc.
Second, I was also expecting to have at least WIFI so that I can connect through coffeeshops whenever needed (without buying an internet package). This model does not have WIFI.

In short, buy this phone if you simply want to have good built quality & good battery life. Do not expect much from camera and the internet options.

5.0 out of 5 stars best phone ever, 13 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Nokia 515 Sim-Free Mobile Phone - Black (Electronics)
Superb phone: beautiful, well made, tough & functional.
The clarity of the calls is better than any phone I have ever used. The built in speaker appear to use miniature NXT panels and sounds very good. The phone supports .WAV playback of CD quality (44.1kHz, 16bit) files and justifies this via Goldring DR50 headphones (almost matches my ageing marantz cd63se cd player!).
The "gorilla glass" screen is the diametric opposite of touch screens and is completely free of blemishes or scratches after several months of heavy use (I work as a motorcycle courier...).
Overall, an excellent phone -- highly recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars Phone has a very poor battery life and battery charge gives unreliable reading, 10 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Nokia 515 Sim-Free Mobile Phone - Black (Electronics)
Phone has a very poor battery life and battery charge gives unreliable reading. It is definately the worst Nokia phone I've owned and I would not recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Hit or miss phone..., 13 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Nokia 515 Sim-Free Mobile Phone - Black (Electronics)
Poor support for the phone from Nokia. Nokia have pretty much dropped Symbian OS down the toilet in favour of Windows 8.1. Good sturdy phone build. Bit of a finger print magnet. Easy to navigate the menus and overall usage is simple to understand. Quite poor rural phone signal compared to previous Symbian models.

No Wifi capability. I jumped from webpage to webpage trying to find Nokia PC software and the right drivers for use on my machine, found out that PC software support was pretty much dropped on release of the phone, but eventually I got it to work. Its a basic handset with a classy business orientated casing for people with basic handset needs! Does the job for the most part, but if something goes wrong, Nokia won't help you out of the mud any more.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Phone, 19 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Nokia 515 Sim-Free Mobile Phone - Black (Electronics)
I've owned a smartphone for the past couple of years and never really got along with it.
I'm no luddite; I like tech which works for me and makes my life easier. My smartphone did many things, but it didn't do any of them particularly well, especially the most important job of actually making calls! Since I started carrying an ipad with me everywhere, the smartphone just became a device which duplicated what the tablet did, and didn't do it very well.
Hence my "regression" to this Nokia feature phone, and what a breath of fresh air it is!
I considered the cheaper Nokias such as the 301, but plumped for the 515 in the end due to it's build quality, style, and decent camera.
It feels great to use, is a nice size, and slips into my pocket beautifully. Calls and texts are handled with minimum fuss (no more hanging up when I touch the screen with my cheek!) and after setting it up, the few features I use regularly such as alarm, flight mode etc are accessed with a single button press, unlike my "smart phone" which required endless tapping to do my bidding!
On the rare occasions when I don't have my tablet, it will go to my gmail account or allow some simple surfing. That's adequate for me.
Battery life is excellent and charging fast.
I got the dual sim version and added a 32GB micro sd which complement the functionality nicely.
Some reviews have suggested the alarm doesn't work if you switch the phone off at night. This is incorrect.
I docked one star because the phone doesn't have GPS or Wifi which, for the price, I think could have been included. I must also admit that I've kept my smartphone for the single reason that it runs Strava. Otherwise, I'm glad to see the back of it.
In summary, if your main requirement is for a decent, stylish phone, with no need for inane apps then this could be for you and I'd highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant clear-speech phone, 20 May 2014
This review is from: Nokia 515 Sim-Free Mobile Phone - Black (Electronics)
This phone is beautifully made with Gorilla glass so it is pretty scratch-proof. It is beautifully made with an aluminium case and has easy to use menus with a logical and clear contacts list. But the best feature and what makes this phone outstanding is that it has HD voice-quality, which on a network that supports 4G and the voice-enhancement system, delivers crystal-clear sound in both directions. I love this phone and I would recommend it to anyone.