5.0 out of 5 stars Thrilled with my RX10
I purchased this based on reviews and a quick "hands on" at a large department store. So I was very apprehensive ordering one. I need not have worried, this is an exceptional camera.

Published 4 months ago by Cakedestroyer

3.0 out of 5 stars yes you get the great lens 24-200mm lens
Published 7 months ago by A. Ross

5.0 out of 5 stars Thrilled with my RX10, 18 Aug 2014
This review is from: Sony RX10 Cybershot 20.2 MP Digital Still Camera with 3-Inch LCD Screen (Electronics)

My brand loyalty lies with Nikon and I use their excellent professional standard DSLRs and lenses. But you need big muscles and a strong back to carry all this kit around on a city break. So I wanted a bridge camera to take good quality holiday pictures, and so that I could edit them using RAW images.

This camera is NOT up to the quality of my Nikon DSLR, but it is not far off! I am thrilled with this camera. It takes excellent shots even in "Auto" mode where it will beat any point and shoot hands down.

If you have a DSLR and want a bridge camera this is one of the best I have found. I took hundreds of shots on the city break and there were only a few of the shots that I was not happy with, generally backlit where my exposure compensation was way off the mark.

The only down side to this camera is the documentation. Since returning from my holiday I have got the Kindle edition of a book explaining all the functions of the camera. The RX10 is very flexible, featuring all the functions of DSLR including full manual settings if you have time to set up the shot yourself. Sony produce an on-line interactive manual for this camera but I found that very hard to navigate.

For an experienced DSLR user you will not be disappointed. Thoroughly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great £1000 8x F2.8 travel lens incl. free camera, 18 Dec 2013
With the acclaimed sensor of the DSC-RX100M2 and a stand-out Zeiss lens in a body of almost jewel like quality this camera is a perfect alternative to a DSLR for travellers and many others. Unfortunately the launch by Sony of the a7 at the same time has more or less completely upstaged this remarkable camera and the price has discouraged many who really should take a closer look.

I haven't used the camera in anger yet due to total lack of spare time but so far I have been very happy with what I have seen. I will update in the new year when I get some time at home in the daylight. Based on what time I have had so far my initial conclusions are:

Positive points
1) The lens: 24mm is wider than any kit lens, F2.8 is brighter and at 200mm you can really use this very effectively hand-held.
2) The package: handles like a small DSLR but fits in a very small bag with no accessories needed so you can carry it everywhere.
3) The quality: beautiful materials and beautifully designed including dust and moisture sealing.
4) The viewfinder: excellent quality, resolution and field of view. Also I find it perfectly usable with my glasses on. Articulating LCD screen is also excellent.
5) Ergonomics: aperture ring plus two rotary controls and host of customisable buttons each positioned to make it easy to find by touch.
6) Features: everything you would expect from a DSLR and quite a bit more especially for the videographer including ND Filter, Audio metering and audio level controls, WiFi connectivity, clean HDMI output suitable for external recording.

Negative points
1) Lack of a proper technical user guide. Many features are self-evident but many others are not. This is unforgiveable. Even an on-line guide in one language would be something.
2) WiFi/Play Memories remote control is very limited but hopefully this will improve soon.

Hot topics
1) 'Fly by wire' zoom; this has been widely criticised but it turns out not to be a limitation for the most part and it also has some significant benefits. You can control zoom in two places i.e. from the lens ring and the rocker switch in front of the shutter release. Sorry, three places including the WiFi remote. This means you can hold the camera in different ways to suit your style and situation. It also allows the digital zoom to operate as a natural extension of the optical zoom and with a 20Mpixel sensor this is a more than useful feature. However, motor noise is evident when zooming more quickly and so this speed is limited when recording video.

2) Price; because many have seen this camera as a 'super-bridge' between the Panasonic FZ200 and an entry level DSLR £1,000 is considered too high. But these are not relevant cameras for price comparisons, a Panasonic GH3 with 14-140mm lens would be much closer. The RX-10 has many features an entry level DSLR doesn't have and a truly equivalent DSLR lens would cost and weigh much more.

3) Fixed lens; personally I believe interchangeable lenses are a throw-back to an age when dust was just one of many artefacts found on an average negative. Today high resolution digital sensors are very unforgiving of dust. If you can find a lens that does everything you need then keep that on the camera and keep the sensor clean. The RX-10 makes that very sensible decision for you and gives you a more compact package as a result.

5.0 out of 5 stars Could be the only camera you need., 30 Oct 2014
I hadn't intended to buy the RX10 as it's undeniably pricey but I had the chance to get a used one. As with most things in life you get what you pay for. The build quality is impeccable but this is a monster of a compact, the weight of all the top notch Zeiss glass up front is immediately noticeable. Overall it's slightly smaller than a small dSLR with kit lens and a similar weight.
The 1" sensor combined with the brilliant lens will outperform most APS-C and kit lens combos in terms of detail but will lose out on dynamic range. I am not aware of any 24-200mm f2.8 equivalent lenses on any camera so the versatility is unrivalled with a sensor this size or larger.
It has so many features and settings that it can initially be bit overwhelming and it's outrageous that it doesn't come with a full user manual although you can download ones which have been compiled from the sony online user guide.
The highlights for me are:
1. Lens sharpness, wide aperture and zoom range especially the 24mm wide end.
2. Both the electronic viewfinder and monitor are excellent and have auto-brightness option.
3. Lots of custom control options so you can set up the buttons and quickmenu shortcut to your liking
4. Video capability. With the firmware update you can record 50mps AVCS for broadcast quality video. The focus and zoom are both inaudible during recording unlike most dSLRs. You get full PASM modes for video and other advanced features like auto ND filter, customizable focus peaking, zebra and manual audio level adjustment and a headphone jack for monitoring. To get a camcorder with the same video quality you would need to spend over £1000 and the lens won't be as good. The built in mic records decent sound at close range with a very effective digital filter and of course there is an external mic jack. You can even attach an external monitor to the micro HDMI port for full uncompressed 1080p display/recording. I have a Nikon d600 and the video capability of the RX10 blows it away. It's not just about the sensor size.
5. Flash syncs upto 1/3200s. Lets you get proper daylight fill in flash in almost any situation using the built in pop up flash. Flash compensates +/-3EV unlike +/-2 in lesser cameras.
6. Everything works lightning fast and responds instantly thanks to the latest Bionz X processor. Can shoot insanely fast frames per second.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best and most versatile bridge camera I have ever used - full marks to Sony !, 11 Mar 2014
RJP the Book Boy "Book boy" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
SONY RX10

I have been a photographer for over 30 years and sell my work and use my pictures to illustrate websites and books I also work as a science lecturer and use images to illustrate them. My clients include English Heritage and Mercedes Benz. My main day to day kit is from Nikon using their high end bodies and professionals lenses. Nikon D800, 24 - 70 2.8 and 70 - 200 2.8 and a Nikon D700 with 28 - 200 DX lens for back up and walk around kit I have been looking for a camera to carry around for days out with the family that does not need a porter to carry it due to its weight and size. I think I have now found it with the Sony RX10

The SONY RX10

This is a high end bridge camera from Sony. It has a non-detachable Carl Zeiss 24 to 200mm 2.8 lens which is its headline feature. The cameras is expensive but very well made, contains all the options for customisation and has a lens made by one of the best lens makers in the World. The camera has lots of features and customisable options not normally found on bridge or compact cameras.
Sony inherited much of its camera experience when it took over Minolta and Konica and all the Sony compacts I have had have always been a cut above the rest for the money. So here goes with my review of this very promising camera.

This is my initial review after a couple of weeks with the camera using g it in less than ideal weather conditions so as the weather gets better ( I hope) I will add to this review so that you can see how I get on pushing the camera to its limits.

In the box.

The camera,
Lens cap and hood,
Charger and cable,
Strap,
Basic instruction manual and guarantee leaflets,
Accessory leaflet.

Build quality.

The RX10 has metal plates and weather sealing which makes it unique in the bridge camera sector. This camera is built to be used at extremes and should last well if looked after. I have put a skylight filter on the lens to protect the front element and a screen cover on the rear screen. This camera is very well build and the design has been well throughout and it's a pleasure to hold due to the excellent ergonomics. The tilting rear screen is better than the fixed one on my Nikon D800, it is sharper and works well in sunlight - come on Nikon !

Setting up.

Firstly you have to change the battery in the camera with the supplied lead. This took about 5 hours to get it to 100%.
When you switch the camera on for the first time you need to set the time zone, date and time. This is all there is to it. After this is onto taking pictures.

Initial impressions.

This is a very well built camera and feels very sturdy. It is weather sealed so should be fine in all but the worst weather conditions. The rear LCD and viewfinder are very bright, accurate and easy to read. In fact it is hard to tell that you are using a digital viewfinder and not an optical one as it is very good. The tilting screen is also very useful. The menu system is logical and easy to navigate and there are plenty of settings to play with or you can just use auto everything until you are familiar with the controls.. The controls areas flexible as my high end DSLR.

Card used for testing.

A high capacity and high speed card is recommended; I used Sandisk 16Gb extremes as they were fine in every respect for a middle priced card. No slowdown was ever experienced when writing to this card and video was recorded perfectly.

Setting up.

You first need to charge the batter. This is done in camera via an external charger module. This could be a pain if you want to carryon shooting so it would be wise to buy a spare battery and a standalone charger, all available from Amazon for not much outlay.

When you first switch the camera on you need to set the time zone, date and time. This is easy to do. To take pictures you need to insert a memory card. I use Sandisk SDHC cards as I have never had problems with them. The camera switches between the rear LCD and viewfinder automatically. That's about all you have to do to get going.

Menu options.

Just about everything on the camera can be customised. It has the basic modes program, aperture priority, shutter priority and manual. These are set by a dial on the top plate. Apart from this the camera has a scene mode setting.
This allows the user to pick a scene and the camera sets everything up for you. Modes include portrait, close up, sport, landscape, night shot and quite a few more. These are useful if you are not sure how to set the camera for a particular event.
Another nice feature that tends to be found on many Sony cameras is the panorama mode. In this mode the camera takes several shots and stiches them together. This is great for landscapes. The Sony implementation of this feather works the best in my experience.

Metering and white balance.

The camera has several metering modes that can be user set. These include matrix, spot and centre weighted. These can be set in a menu.
White balance can also be set to auto and several scene specific modes like tungsten light to help reproduce colours correctly.

ISO.

This can be set to auto where the camera varies the ISO setting to try to capture blur free images or you can set it yourself to control image noise. The ISO ranges from 100 to 12800 which will cope with most situations. I have used the camera with ISO settings up to 800 and nosie is well controlled. I will report back about the higher settings later.

Focus.

The focus has several modes from wide for general use ans pot for close up work. It also has a focus mode where the user can move the point that will be in focus around using the rear settings wheel. This is useful if your main subject is off centre. The focus tracking was quite accurate in good lighting but did hunt in low light (even my Nikon D800 does this).

Memory recall.

The camera allows the user to set up two memory banks with settings. This is usually found on high end camera and can be very useful. Here you can get the camera to remember all the setting for a particular situation and then recall them to use again.

The lens.

This is a superb lens made by Carl Zeiss and probably is the main reason the camera is so expensive. It also has a constant aperture form 24mm to 200 mm making lots of creativity possible if you know what you are doing.
The lens zoon can be operated by a rocker switch to go from wide to tele. or after setting the camera toy can turn the lens body to move the zoom in and out. This is useful for accurate composition as the motor powered zoom tends to either under or over shoot in my experience. The lens ring can also be changed to manual focus from the cameras menus as well. The lens also has an aperture ring to allow the user to set the aperture which is very useful and saves going into the menu system to set the lens. Images from this lens at all settings are simply superb and beats any offering from all the other manufacturers of similar cameras in this price bracket.

Sensor.

This is Sony's own senor and is approximately a one inch square. This is smaller than most DX entry DSLR's but much bigger than many compacts. Sony has done a lot of work in the processing department as the images coming out of this camera are very good indeed, much better than I expected infact. Being a bridge camera with the lens permanently attached sensor dust and dirt should never be a problem. I always have to clean my DSLR sensors after as few months use especially if I have visited a dusty country like Egypt.

Image quality.

It's no surprise considering the attention to detail Sony has given to building the camera and the Carl Zeiss lens that the image quality is amazing. It's the best bridge camera I have ever used and I have used a lot of cameras in my time. Images are very sharp with well saturated colours and no burn outs in the highlights. Any user should be happy with the quality of images this camera gives. I have tried to fool the metering and focus system but they have both coped well with lighting extremes along with focusing issues that would have fooled many other makes. Sony has certainly packed very useful technology into this camera that works well.
I have only tried the camera for a week down here in very wet and windy Cornwall but the results are very good and easily comparable to entry levels DSLR's with their kit lenses. Infact I think images from this Sony give a better balance overall. I will do some more comparisons when we (hopefully) get some nice sunny spring weather and report back

Burst mode and focus tracking.

Sony has included a burst mode to all 10 frames per second to be captured. I photographed some horses galloping along using the mode and the result were spot on. The horses were in sharp focus and the background nicely blurred. This camera is no slouch and can perform faster or at least as fast as most entry DSLR's and it certainly beats all the compact system cameras I have used recently.

Versatility and the ND filters.

This has been very well thought out by Sony. The camera can be used a point and shoot or set up like any professional DSLR using manual modes. The scene modes work well and there are plenty of them to choose from that cover just about every situation you are likely to photograph.
One nice touch is the built in neutral density filter. This is activated via a menu and can be on, off or auto. An ND filter allows the camera to stop light reaching the sensor and increase the exposure time. You can see this effect on many calendars where the sea looks like cotton wool and looks surreal. This is done using a ND filter and long exposure, sometimes up to 20 minutes or more - you will need to use a sturdy tripod but the camera is capable of excellent results in this mode.
I would say that the photographers own mind would be a limitation to creativity with this camera rather than the camera itself.
There is also a built in flash which can be set to auto or manual. The camera also has a Sony accessory shoe that will take their flashguns and microphone's.

Software.

The box contains no software disk. This has to be downloaded from the Sony website and is basically a simple photo editor and picture organisation suite. The full manual is also available in PDF format to download. I have not tried this as I prefer to use my usual software suite to edit in (Coral Draw package and Photoshop) I will have a look at the Sony offering and report back. The box does contain a basic printed instruction book but the PDF's give much moiré detail.

Video.

The camera has great video support. Lots of options including a microphone and headphone monitoring ports. The HDMI output is excellent with plenty of detail and the inbuilt microphones are adequate but do pick up wind noise easily. There is a switch on the lens to quieten the aperture system so that you do not get annoying clicks while filming .

Real World day of testing.

I am a member of a re-enactment group and took it to a rehearsal where I could test every function. I can happily report that the pictures at low ISO settings are superb and very sharp thanks to the quality of the lens. In lower light and at higher ISO setting (1000 +) noise does become apparent but the Sony Bionz processor does a great job at keeping it under control. The sweep panorama function is also one of the best I have ever used. The only problem that got in the way of taking some candid pictures was it takes several turns of the zoom ring to go from wide to tele. This is only a minor problem but one to be aware of if you like sports photography.
The lens is just superb; sharp, great colour, contrast and definition. The other advantage it has over other bridge cameras is that you can manually focus it as the zoom ring can be switched to focus using the menu. Sony have been clever here to keep the size of the camera down and giving the control ring a dual function. Being able to change aperture quickly using the other lens ring is really useful. On the top plate the camera also has a exposure compensation wheel which is in just the right place to override the exposure in difficult light conditions - other makers take note this is really useful. On my Nikons to do this I have to take my eye off the camera and use two controls to achieve this, nice touch Sony.
The camera also has a fast continuous mode of around 10 frames per second which is great for sport, I used this quite a lot for horse jumping and Knights Sword fighting and the resulting pictures were very good in bright light but the auto focus often missed in low light. To overcome this I pre-focused using the manual switch.

weather sealing.
This camera like most pro DSLR cameras is weather sealed with rubber gaskets on all switches and control surfaces. I took it out this morning in fog to try to get some nice sunrises. The camera soon became quite damp with condensation but it functioned perfectly and nothing got into the lens or screen. I gave it a quick wipe off and dried it properly with a hair dryer on a low setting when I got home. Even though the camera is weather sealed it will not be entirely water proof and I would not use it in driving rain. I have used cameras in these conditions at motor rallies but ended up with repair bills but the revenue from the images more than covered that. The other problem with cameras that are labelled weather proof is that sometimes you may get condensation forming inside the lens and fungus can grow and ruin a lens. Cameras must be completely dry before storing them and I keep large packs of silica gel in my camera bag and this has stopped lens fungus problems for me. I live in Cornwall which is a very damp county and lens fungus is very common even if you care for your kit down here. When not using kit for a long time I store tin air tight boxes with lost of sili9ca gel in the airing cupboard which is about the lowest humidity place I can find in my house. Since owning expensive Nikon gear and following these rules (Nikon gave me advice on how to store kit)I have never had damp or fungus problems since.

Overall.

This is the backup camera I have been looking for over many years. Normally I carry a Nikon D7000 with 18 to 200 VR lens as a walk around. It is heavy and awkward but this Sony is smaller and has a much more versatile lens for the type of uses I put my cameras to mainly due to its maximum 2.8 aperture facility.
This is a superb camera that can handle just about every situation. It produces sharp, punchy and noise free images which are better than those from a DSLR kit lens. The marriage of Sony's sensor technology and a Carl Zeiss lens is excellent all packed into a flexible and robust body with lots of features but in a body that does not cause neck ache when carred all day.
Sony has a camera here which in my opinion is more flexible than a compact system camera and lighter than and as flexible as entry level DSLRs ( with kit lenses of comparable size to the Sony) without the bulk for around the same money.

Pros.

Image quality below 800 ISO is superb in bright light, after this noise creeps in but is well controlled,

You have full control over every function,

Video is excellent and having mic and headphone inputs makes it a useful video tool,

The lens is amazing; at all focal lengths and settings it shines! I wish I could afford the equivalent Carel Zeiss lenses for my Nikons - dream on !

The sport burst mode of 10 fps is well implemented and very useful,

Build quality is the best for any bridge camera at the time of writing and much better than entry level DSLR's with kit lenses covering the same range,

The camera can be expanded with Sony accessories which include lighting, microphones, brackets - it's designed to be a serious photographic and film making tool,

It has a threaded shutter release so it takes a good old fashioned cable release,

Battery life is good but having a spare for a full day of shooting helps (see cons), In my day out test I got 320 shots from a fresh battery but as I was exploring the camera and reviewing images and video every time I would expect more when familiar with the camera,

JPEG output is very good and there is also a RAW function which give slightly better quality and editing possibilities but you have to pixel peep to really see the difference,

Excellent tilting screen and the image quality in the electronic viewfinder is the best I have ever seen,

Built in flash works well and for the size gives great coverage. There is a hot shoe to add bigger flashguns and microphones to,

Cons.

Having to charge the battery in the camera and it take 5 hours ! However external chargers and spare batteries are available on Amazon for pocket money prices,

Too many turns of the zoom mechanism to go from wide to tele but at least you have a manual control unlike most other bridge cameras I have used, the camera also has the wide and tele rocker switch by the shutter release but constant use of this drains the battery quite quickly,

The sensor is quite small (1 inch) and with 20 million pixels noise does creep in around 800 ISO but it is well controlled by the processing, Most people won't use over 1000 ISO anyway and to keep the camera small with the great lens this is a sensible compromise and better than any compact camera at any price,

The manual in the box only shows the basics and you have to download the full one from Sony's site,
Sony's software to edit the images also has to be downloaded from Sony's site and it is adequate but to get full use out of the camera I would recommend getting a better standalone package like Photoshop Elements or one of the other popular editors.

Final words.

That's about it really, it's hard to impress me with prosumer cameras but I like the Sony very much and they have done a great job in making a small, light and flexible camera which is capable of publishable results. There are some compromises but I can live with them So I will give it my whole hearted recommendation! Anyone who invests in this camera will love it and the results it gives. It is now my carry everywhere camera.

Update.
-------
It is now June 2014 and I have been using this camera most days. I still like it very much as my walk around camera. I have taken shots I would not normally have got because it is light enough and capable enough for most situations. I think it is the best bridge camera out there as it delivers bags of quality from the Zeiss lens and bigger than usual sensor. Sony have really come up with a classic and I probably use this camera much more than my DSLR now - that says it all to me. Anyone who gets this camera cannot fair to be pleased with the results.

5.0 out of 5 stars ... and the more I use it the more I love it. Truly a remarkable camera, 13 Nov 2014
I've had this camera for around 6 months now and the more I use it the more I love it. Truly a remarkable camera! I love the lens; it is fast and sharp especially in the center and the controls are so easy to master. Requires a little getting used to, because there is so much that you can do; whether its in automatic or full manual mode, the camera lets you do it all.

There are already enough technical reviews, so I want to simply express my joy with this camera. I made a lot of research before purchasing it as I was originally set in buying the Sony a7 and introducing myself to the full frame world. However, I was restricted in budget hence, why I went for this camera and i'm sure this comes close to full frame cameras in terms of picture quality, but has the added advantage of being super versatile. May I add that even though a 1'' sensor, thanks to the F2.8 lens, the camera performs well in low-light conditions. I also confirm that the video quality is also very good and that was another factor in my decision making.

I recently purchased the Metz 44 AF-1 Digiital Sony Mi-Fit Flashgun for sony cameras and it works smoothly with the Rx10. So far i've used it in TTL mode.

I definitely give this camera my wholehearted 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE MY NEW CAMERA!!!!, 23 April 2014
It's easy to use and takes fabulous images, it has SUCH a good lens. Yes it was expensive but worth every penny, I considered cheaper, good cameras before I bought and I am so glad I went with the Sony RX10. I am not an experienced photographer but the images I've taken are crystal clear, really beautiful and the camera is technically within my grasp to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT CAMERA!, 2 Jan 2014
Nick (Hampshire UK) - See all my reviews
Sold my NEX-7 to change over to this camera (DSC-RX10). The NEX-7 is a superb camera which has now been superseded by the A7 & A7R.
The NEX-7 only really impressed me when I fitted a Zeiss 24-F18 lens to it. You really need to be an experienced photographer to get the full benefit from these cameras, which I am not.
When the RX10 was released, the specification it has made it a must have camera for me, and belief you me I have not been disappointed. The image qualities of the pictures I have taken over the past month have in my eyes been my best ever.
The killer feature of this camera is the Zeiss f2.8 telephoto lens.
Quite an expensive camera, but in my view worth every penny!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent camera but there are some downsides, 28 April 2014
Michael J. Davies "Creosote" (England) - See all my reviews
The many reviews of this camera on the internet pretty much say the same thing, that its an excellent bridge camera, but is too expensive for what it is. It looked very much like the camera I was seeking, so ignored those reviews. However, I soon realised that yes, the reviews were correct and this camera is too expensive.

I had a number of nit-picks about the camera, and while I could list those, none were a major issue, so its probably not worth wasting your time to reading them all them. But the most relevant ones are the lack of a charger, that the screen cannot be switched off to use the EVF solely, and the very slow and cumbersome zoom. But the huge issue is the price. For this money (almost £900 UK) one can buy a DSLR with a good lens, that has a larger sensor, a proper viewfinder, the facility to use different lenses, and that has the versatility and futureproofness (is that a word?!) that this bridge camera lacks. It was also apparent to me that the Image Quality was no better than the Sony RX100 which while the price is fluctuating at the moment on Amazon, can sometimes be bought from Amazon Prime for £330. Not a million miles from one third the price of the RX10 and comparable in the most important area of any camera - Image Quality.

If the RX10 was £500 it would maybe be worth 5 stars, maybe 4 stars for £650-£700, but at the price it is currently at it just is poor value for money. I was tempted to give a 2 star review but maybe thats just a bit unfair on the product itself as it is a good camera.

For me, the camera did not perform up to its price. I do like the camera, and maybe if it comes down significantly in price I may buy one. But at the moment I urge you to give serious consideration as to what you actually get for not far off a grand, a very nice bridge camera that takes the same quality pictures as the same manufacturers comparable product at near one third the price.

UPDATE
After trying a couple of other cameras I came to the conclusion that despite its price, the RX10 had more of the features I wanted than any other, so bit the bullet on its price, and now have one from Amazon Prime.

There are many upsides to this camera, which mostly are well documented in these reviews and elsewhere on the net, but I am so impressed with the viewfinder which I am using exclusively with the screen switched off. No, its not like using an SLR viewfinder but its not that far away! And totally unlike the dreadful EVF on the Sony Nex6, which shimmers all the time and has lag.

There are some downsides though, and I should mention those.
-Worst is the lens wobble that many of these cameras seem to exhibit, certainly the camera forums have many threads about it. Mine wobbles and clunks, it is a bit concerning but looks like getting one that doesnt do this is maybe a forlorn task, so I am putting up with it. I only shoot stills and all advice seems to be there is no problem with stills, but maybe with video.
-Battery life isnt good. Today I took 150 photos, with the screen switched off, and was down to 19% battery from 100% when I started. No video, and reasonably frugal use of the battery, i.e. turned camera off between shooting episodes. This means in reality a second (and third?!) battery is a must.

The RX10 has its failings, but its an excellent compromise between lugging SLR lenses about. It is a very good camera, and while I still think its pricey I have upped my rating to 4 stars.

UPDATE 2
While in danger of this review turning into a saga I must update my review.
After 3 weeks of ownership the lens wobble has worsened. Even when turned off it clunks all the time I am walking and I now somewhat fear for it! When extended in telephoto the play in it is 2 or3 millimetres. In addition it has now stopped reviewing images. The only way I can review is to turn the camera off, remove and replace the SD card, turn the camera back on. Seems like this somehow resets what is causing the problem. Tried formatting the SD card, and two other SD cards. Seems either a software of hardware issue.

Thing is, I really like this camera! The more I have used it the more i like it. But seems the faults on mine are here to stay so will have no alternative than to return it to Amazon while its in warranty. But what to do then? How many will I have to buy to get one that doesnt have the lens wobble and doesnt fail? I am in a dilema. I want an RX10 but my patience with them is wearing thin.

Oh and battery life continues to suk. Yesterday during a photo walk took 90 pics, from 100% battery I was down to 19%. I have the camera set to auto turn off after 1 minute. Unless this aspect of mine is also faulty you WILL need a spare battery, or two.

UPDATE 3
Well, I had to return it to Amazon, the wobbly lens got to the point I worried about it actually falling off.
Replaced it with...... an RX10!
Thats my third.
This one has the lens wobble but not so bad this time, fingers crossed that it doesnt worsen.
The more I use the RX10 the more I come to apreciatte it. Just wish the lens wobbles issues werent there. Maybe I have just been unlucky, but for a camera costing not that far off a grand it should have no lens wobble!

3.0 out of 5 stars yes you get the great lens 24-200mm lens, 13 May 2014
A. Ross "gadget freak" (uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
i really dont get the over the top reviews for this camera. yes you get the great lens 24-200mm lens, but its not a $1000 lens as some people seem to gush. Its made for a 1 inch sensor, you cant compare it to what you would pay for a full frame lens. The features of the camera are great yes, so many options, but its the results that count. I found images on the soft side and without the full frame type pow! it is what it is, a nice point and shoot with a fast lens. Ultimatly thats what this cmaera is about, a take anywhere anytime fast lens. But then for low light you lose the benefit since its a full stop behind an aps-c. So you could have a full fat dlsr with 18-135mm lens 3-5.6 (which would match the sony at 200mm) and only lose out by a stop at the long end. Which is fine if the sony was sharp, but it isnt. For me its disappointing. The compelling feature for me is not its photographic abilities but the all round package with video. Its video is great, better than a dlsr. if you take a lot of video then this camera is more compelling as an all rounder. For me i take mostly pictures. I need some pop from the camera, i didnt get that. I have the rx100 and i do get sharp popping images from that. I also have canon dlsrs, aps-c and full frame.

5.0 out of 5 stars A excellent all round camera., 24 July 2014
Superb camera and a bargain at the new price. Well built, weather sealed and a good textured grip. Excellent RAW photo's. I bought it for video and I am extremely happy with the results - sharp and detailed.