Format: Blu-ray|Change

on 2 September 2012
I first saw this film back in 1998 when I was seventeen, and I was obsessed by it, so much so that I destroyed several copies repeatedly watching it. Basically it has it all, intrigue, betrayal, romance, great fight scenes, and an injustice to right. The sets are stunning, and the soundtrack by Nick Glennie-Smith is still one of the best film scores [surpassed only by The Eagle.]

I returned to the film 15 years later after watching the 2011 atrocity of The Three Musketeers. In retrospect [and the benefit of seeing a lot more films since] the film has its flaws. First, I'm no longer sure who the hero is supposed to be, is it D'Artagnan, Aramis or Philippe?, which left the film feeling a little confused. Second point is the script, with Randall Wallace doing his normal 'Pearl Harbour' job with the dialogue. Dicaprio's performance was fair, but we all know now how good he can be.

If you like Braveheart or The Eagle, this is an enjoyable movie. Thankfully DVD's and Blu-Rays are harder wearing!
on 1 April 2015
A simply splendid version of the famous book, and I do not agree with the assessment of someone that di Caprio is not up to the part. He plays his 2 characters extremely well. As I've seen commented before somewhere, this is definitely the best ever depiction of Aramis who is in the book the plotter, which Athos joins him after bitter disappointment in the King's selfish and cruel behaviour towards his (Athos's) adopted son which leads to the death of the young man. It seems that Dumas was not keen on these kings, so his idea to use the Man in the Iron Mask myth as a theme is one that many readers will identify with.

The comment above on the plot and acting that I've just referred to is not entirely accurate. D'Artagnan is told about the plot by Aramis and the other two backing him, and d'Artagnan will not take part in it. He has his own very important reasons for protecting the King even though that King is such a jerk. However, there are matters about the Man in the Iron Mask which d'Artagnan does not know. It is Aramis who has been in on the secret for many years through being in a certain place at a certain time.

This movie doesn't follow the original book in all respects, only in some. But for me it is a much more exciting version even than the book. I've no doubt Dumas could never have used the most important variation, but that was then, and the movie has been made now.
on 3 September 2009
I came to watch this DVD by accident, intending it would cheer up my son who was unwell and unable to go out. Within moments I was transfixed; utterly absorbed. The acting, script and cinematography were all superb and entirely convincing of the period, style and spirit of Dumas' fictional world. I am at my wits end to know how some other reviewers have labelled this film as shallow, immersing itself as it does, into some of the greatest themes in human experience: love; loyalty; integrity (in the face of "certain" defeat); friendship; free will and personal identity.

The film uses melodrama, but this is entirely in keeping with the genre, and without it the impact and moral imperative of the story would definitely be weaker. This is much more than costumes swashing their buckles or buckling their swashes (?): this is heart-wrenching tragedy, high drama, pathos and comedy.

I was on the edge of my seat gripped with fear when it seemed as though heroism would die forever. I wept buckets when D'Artagnan sacrifices himself for his son. My heart leapt with joy again when heroism is resurrected.

If you want to see real politics, turn on the news. If you want to watch real fighting, hang out in the city centre. If you want to be inspired to live to your highest truth, watch The Man in the Iron Mask.
First, I would like to point out that personally I don't think that Leonardo DiCaprio is a very good actor. I haven't liked his preformance in many of his films. Due of this fact, I watched The Man In The Iron Mask, expecting not to enjoy the film, simply because he basic plays the main character. Needless to say, I was speechless at the end of the film. The Man In The Iron Mask is stunning and Leonardo's preformance - I hate to say - is also stunning. Additionally I have not enjoyed many musketeer films in the past, so obviously I did not expect to enjoy this. The Man In The Iron Mask is beautiful and memorizing, I have not seen the original version (as this is a remake) nor have I read the book. Therefore I did not know what to expect from this film and the twists really were twist for me. So definitly a film to be watched.
on 23 February 2005
This is a brilliant movie, BUT not loyal to the book. If you expect to watch your favourite charatccters and story line brought to life (or rather picture) then you might be a little disappointed. The ending is opposite to that of the book, both in relation to the king and the musketeers. But other than that, the film is an absolute source of enjoyment.
This is a film that deals with love, honour, values, duty, treason, etc. You name it and the film deals with it. The characters are so alive and their pain truly hurts you and the joy vrings a smile to your face. I thinnk the true star of the fil is John Malkovish, who as Athos, has to learn to accept and eventually love the man, who is a clone (to be more precise twin) of the man who brought misery to his young son's life and put an abrupt end to it. Malkovich plays out this struggle so amazingly that at times it is unbelievable.
Unlike most Musketeer related movies, D'Artengan is not the centre of attention and it is as though, one window has been closed and surprisingly a larger one has been opened. You will see more of Honourable Athos, cunning Aramis and simple but brave and loyal Porhtos.
To end my comments, WATCH this film. It is fun, enjoyable, amazing and at times heart breaking.
You just need to look at the cast to know that this would be a automatic classic and yes it is a classic the film is right for the historic period it portraits the director has used all the talent from these set of actors. The cinema photography is brilliant this film has heart and soul I think we all know the story of the man in the iron mask but this new version I highly recommend it.
on 15 April 2008
Fortunately I saw this film before reading the book, and my rating is based upon my assessment of the film alone. Coming to it without having read Dumas's book, but knowing who the three Musketeers and d'Artagnan are, you're in for a glorious swashbuckling romp, the like of which we don't see enough these days. The film's plot is fast-paced, enjoyable and spiced up with a good deal of intrigue. Gerard Depardieu, Jeremy Irons and Gabriel Byrne are all extremely good as Porthos, Aramis and d'Artagnan, but I felt that John Malkovich was a little wooden as Athos. Unfortunately I didn't feel that Raoul or Christine had enough depth to really make me care very much about their subplot (and Christine is not particularly good). I thought that Leonardo DiCaprio carried his part off very well, although of course he is slightly overshadowed by the key four actors. Visually the film is stunning.

But here's the catch - and I haven't taken this into account in rating the film because, as I say, I saw the film before reading the book and therefore enjoy it as an object in its own right. The plot is not remotely similar to that of the book. Very major changes have been made to Dumas's plot, major characters have been excised or had their names changed, and fans of Dumas will not recognise the ending of the film. The achievement of the scriptwriters is to give us a story that, while it bears no resemblance to what Dumas actually wrote, nevertheless does (as another reviewer said) have a very sympathetic spirit.

The question is whether or not you can continue to enjoy the film even though it differs so radically from its source material - and for me, the answer is an unqualified, resounding Yes.
on 11 March 2014
I enjoyed the story and the actors in this particular film. However, I was disappointed with the quality of the actual dvd. I lost the picture during the first few minutes of the film, which spoilt it for me.
on 1 November 2014
This belongs to the fast-and-loose adaptations that Hollywood used to throw out in the days of Errol Flynn et al. Everyone, with the exception of Irons, is miscast, Depardieu does a pathetic caricature of a great character (it's ludicrous to have him talking in a strong French accent when all the other actors also playing Frenchmen of course are either talking with English or jarringly American accents). Di Caprio is far better as the shut-away brother than as King Louis, but I simply cannot take seriously a film that so blatantly rides roughshod over the plot, especially one as badly-written and directed as this.
on 20 December 2014
Had seen part of it before on TV and enjoyed so decided to purchase the blu-ray. Early DiCaprio career which showed in acting capabilities on occasions but overall worth viewing.