4.0 out of 5 stars Atmospheric .. Different .. Loved it
Published 6 months ago by D. Holden

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful
Confusing, difficult to follow, gave up after 30 minutes. Shame as good cast and looked interesting. Suggest you do not bother and find something else instead!
Published 7 months ago by Mr Michael K Hayward

4.0 out of 5 stars Atmospheric .. Different .. Loved it, 12 April 2014
D. Holden "guitarman" (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Paperboy (DVD)
I got this in post by accident as I had not put it on my rental list and am not really a fan of Zac Efron but when I saw Matthew McConaughy was in it I put it on! Its an interesting little film with some marvellous character parts for Nicole Kidman and Matthew McConaughy. I am watching True Detective at the moment and thinking maybe someone on the production team saw this film and got some inspiration to cast Matthew McConaughy? He is fantastic as the wayward son who returns to his home town to write a newspaper story about supposedly wrongly convicted killer. Zac is also very good as the confused, pent up younger brother and the two have a great chemistry together. Nicole Kidman is also superb as the bitchy southern trash belle who entrances Zac Efrons character.. Its gritty but stick with it and you will be glad you did..

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, 1 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Paperboy (DVD)

1.0 out of 5 stars I bought this for my daughter as she zac effron ..., 11 July 2014
This review is from: The Paperboy [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this for my daughter as she zac effron mad. She turned it off after a while as it is very explicit, (sexually) this should be marked as an 18+

4.0 out of 5 stars Lousiana swamps, 14 Oct 2014
Christian Nugue "go-between" (Meudon (France)) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Paperboy [DVD] (DVD)
I liked this underrated movie because it is in fact an utterly ambitious work of art trying to show, despite a shoe-string budget, what damage could be done to human relationships by the prevailing culture of sexism and racism in the 1970's. I liked the star-studded cast with outstanding actors playing very convincingly "against type" in a real world made up of self-delusion an -destruction, where the best feelings and the best intents only bring death and sorrow in the end.
I found particularly interesting the relationship between Jack (Zac Efron) and the black family maid. We all feel that the tender complicity between both could lead at least to a solid friendship. But Jack's underlying racism prevents it from becoming real.
The Paperboy shows us the dark sides of humanity and does not provide any answers. But the characters are solid and realistic.
Great performance of Nicole Kidman as a deeply neurotic sex-obsessed woman and of Joan Cusak as a hapless convicted non-felon who looks with apparent indifference on the mess his life has become.

3.0 out of 5 stars Confusing but its got something, 13 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Paperboy (DVD)
After ten minutes of watching this film I thought it was going to be rubbish. After twenty I got a bit more interested and after thirty I started to quite like it, though as other reviewers have said that had more to do with certain aspects of the characters and certain scenes rather than the coherence of the whole film. A very hard film to rate.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 11 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Paperboy [DVD] (DVD)
Brilliant price and came within the exact time required, happy as it was for a present and now is here and it was a great price!

4.0 out of 5 stars BE RIGHT AND BE LAST THAN BE FIRST AND BE WRONG, 5 May 2013
The Movie Guy "Movies from A to Z" (United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This is an odd ball story which is more about the quirky characters and fitting names than the plot. The story is in part narrated by Anita Chester(Macy Gray), the maid who breaks "The Help" stereotype. A mean sheriff of a small southern town was killed. Swamp man Hillary Van Wetter (John Cusack) was convicted of the crime on sketchy evidence and poor representation. Ward Jansen (Matthew McConaughey) is a former resident of the town and now works for the Miami Herald. He has returned to town, along with an African-American side kick Yardley Acheman (David Oyelowo) to conduct an investigative story. His dad W.W, Jansen (Scott Glenn) owns the town's newspaper and is concerned that such an article might damage his paper.

Ward's young buck brother Jack (Zac Efron) comes along to help. The three of them are aided by Charlotte "We all got our dark side" Bless (Nicole Kidman) who is a rather nasty woman who is in love with Hillary Van Wetter through their correspondence, although up to now they have never met. Hillary is not very likeable, and would rather look up Charlotte's dress than contribute to his own defense to get off of death row. Jack is sweet on Charlotte who unmercifully teases him.

The film is quirky and the raw sexuality of Kidman draws you into the film. The film builds up for a big twist, but then ends rather abruptly, almost as if it was a true story. I found 3/4 of the film to be interesting. I think Nicolas Cage would have been better than Cusack for a swamp man. As a classy Aussie, you can't help but be in awe at Kidman's southern trash performance. This is a film clearly not for everyone. It is a soft grindhouse.

Parental Guide: F-bomb, N-word, sex, nudity (NOT Kidman), Homosexuality, urination.

It is believed urination helps jelly fish bites. It is not true. Wash with salt water and seek medical attention.

2.0 out of 5 stars unpleasant viewing at times, 16 Sep 2014
P.J.J. (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Paperboy (DVD)
I saw the cast and thought the bad reviews couldn't be that correct, but we turned it off after 45 minutes. Perhaps the book was something quirky-special, but as one reviewer said, this film was graphic at times- and if there had been nudity to match the behaviour, it would have been an 18. That said, I've given it 2 stars as Nicole Kidman and John Cusack were both very effective in their portrayals of humanity at its most disgusting- but do I want to spend my evening watching quality actors play crass scenes of lust-driven, unhinged people? No. If you do, then you could enjoy it.

3.0 out of 5 stars The book was much better., 17 Aug 2014
This review is from: The Paperboy [DVD] (DVD)
I read the book first and really enjoyed it but was really disappointed with the film. Despite a stellar cast and good acting, the script failed to capture the mood of the book and was unnecessarily graphic in parts to the detriment of the story. The last part of the movie departed from the actual story in the book, which I suppose if you hadn't read it first, would be an acceptable ending, but the book was by far the superior story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 6 July 2014
This review is from: The Paperboy [DVD] (DVD)
loved this film. a stellar cast. so good!

The Paperboy