5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera for a beginner! Must Buy!, 13 Jan 2014
This review is from: Nikon D5300 Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm VR Lens Kit - Black (24.2 MP) 3.2 inch LCD with Wi-Fi and GPS (Electronics)
The Nikon D5300 continues to spoil us with its 24.2 Megapixel sensor however the series now gets a major refresh with GPS and Wireless included inside it!

Also we see the continuing trend to now remove the Optical Low Pass Filter in manufacturers to give sharper pictures.

The camera offers 39 focus with a 9 point cross focus for all you Sports photography fanatics.
It offers 5 fps continuous shooting, which works very well but with the new XSPEED 4 processor theres no need why it couldn't be pushed higher.
I suspect because it might be treading on D7100 territory.

Whilst this is a solid step up from the likes of the ever popular D3200 as it does offer you more features.
It handles low light very well and produces relatively noise free images.

When light did get low I rarely had to go anything higher than ISO 5000 which is a testament to how well this camera does. Although it can offer right up to 128000 which puts it near the top end levels.

Its exceptional low light performance is great news for film fanatics too, and video is clear and solid. It can offer up to 1080p at 60 frames a second, however 60 frames is only offered in NTSC format in PAL its 50fps. Thats not such a big deal as in HD video theres pretty much cross compatibility everywhere.

In AUTO it takes great pictures, turn the dial to No Flash AUTO though as you will rarely need to use the Flash such is the versatility of this camera.
Flash can also be quite intrusive so you'll quickly learn not to use it.

One drawback is, you have to take the picture first before you can see what it looks like unlike in Canon models that show you the effect of changing your settings immediately. Although this isn't really a game changer and most camera's require you to take a couple of shots if you are working in MANUAL to get the right exposure based on your scene and lighting conditions.

Another major gripe is the lack of a touchscreen, the circular navigation with the OK button is just that, OK and you have the tendency to press diagonally when you want to go left or down instead of left/down...or maybe its just my fat fingers! But PLEASE in future camera manufacturers include the touchscreen its part of our smartphone culture and it should be a minimum requirement in all SLR camera's not a premium one.

The 18-55mm Starter Kit is a good lens, but having worked with Prime lenses and being blown away by their sharpness I would recommend if you are buying this with a kit to go for a higher range. I believe the 18 - 140 mm is a great travel lens. This might stretch your budget too much, so if you are a beginner then use the 18-55mm as it is a great way to learn your trade just beware that when you go prime you may find it hard to go back. The images do look sharp, but on a prime the true capability of this sensor come out and they look RAZOR sharp. But that's nothing a bit of post processing won't help.

The bottom line is if you are looking to get a new camera and have a tight budget get a D3200 but if you can afford to get something a bit more only think about getting the Nikon D5300 it is SURPRISING just how many high-end features that this camera is packed with! Its a bargain in the DSLR market and will be future proof for the next couple of years. If you have a bit more cash then look at the D7100 and above. If you already have a crop sensor move into FULL FRAME!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant........................................., 29 Jan 2014
Nice camera, excellent features, well made, excellent brand, I'm very amazed with its photos and video quality. I'm not agree they call it entry level DSLR. This is mid range DSLR with shining specs.
I'm recommend it buy it

4.0 out of 5 stars Great camera, but not a good buy in March 2014 (D7000 or D7100 = more camera, similar or lower price), 9 Mar 2014
This is a great camera, offering very high picture quality and all the options and settings creative photographers would need. Offers similar picture quality to the more advanced D7100. You can't go wrong with Nikon DSLRs - they really are the best. My only advice is that if you want this camera, then you should just buy the Nikon D5100 and be happy. Nikon cameras are released on a product cycle of two years, so when a new camera is released, in general terms it's not much more of an improvement on the previous version, it's just marketing. At the price of the D5300 in March 2014, this camera makes absolutely no sense whatsoever - for similar money you could have the much more advanced and sophisticated Nikon D7100 or the older D7000. The only thing the D5300 has that those cameras don't have is an inferior kit lens and an articulated screen which some people think is cool but I think is a design weakness - I just want to snap it off to see how easy it is! This is not a feature found on the pro-DX or FX Nikon cameras. A loose wire from all the twisting and turning and you have an unusable camera. But it's your decision. Just don't be seduced by Nikon marketing. The D5200 is every bit the camera that this D5300 is, but for less money. And don't just take my word for it, photo-enthusiast writer Ken Rockwell would agree.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Camera, 2 April 2014
Before purchasing my first DSLR I spent hours on the internet reading reviews and speaking with friends before deciding on the D5300. I purchased the "D5300 for Dummies" book at the same time to help me with the vast amount of features this camera has and I am already taking better pictures than I have ever before! This is a great high quality product - very happy :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great camera for good money, 5 Mar 2014
This camera does what I want it to as a novice and will take me into the future. I like the simplicity of the design, yet it's also future proofed ( until the next version comes along). Oh by the way it takes great pictures.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful camera, beautiful pictures, 14 Feb 2014
This is my first DSLR, my entry level, and I am not disappointed. Being a Nikon on its own is a major plus. High quality build and results, lots of lenses to choose from, great features, etc.

The Wi-Fi feature might not be what you find on your usual smartphone or table but it does what says on the tin - connects to smartphone or table, although via wi-fi only (setting connection needed) and enables you to browse camera gallery, download photos and even use your smartphone or tablet as a viewfinder! That is simply awesome! You can't adjust camera settings with the tablet but it is still very cool and useful for long distance photos, just like a live view remote. I use iPad and iPhone and it works wonderfully. I don't really use the GPS, so I cannot comment on it.

I purchased the standard kit, 18mm-55mm, and I have been playing with it on all sorts of conditions, but still getting used to the DSLR manual settings to get the best of this great camera. I have been visiting the Nikon site for more info and tips, and many forums and blogs - there is so much stuff out there you can learn from. Taking tips meant for a D5200 or even D3200 is good enough. The user interface on these is the same and so are most features.

I wish I could tell you more about this little monster but I am just a beginner as I said before. I have recently purchased the 35mm DX lenses for portraits and the extra background blur, and I'm loving it. Next I'll go for the zoom lenses to have a nice full kit around. I just need the time and the money to fund this little investment.

I wanted to purchase the red D5300 but the price put me off. In the end, I am actually happier with the classic black, as it looks so much smarter and it does not stand out. I don't really want to be waving this bad boy around when outside in the street, so I will also be using a regular messenger bad, with padding, to carry the necessary kit.

I have bought the extra EN-EL14a battery to carry around. I know from experience that this is probably your most valuable accessory to carry all the time - an extra fully charged battery. I strongly advise this to be your first purchase.

If you are purchasing one of these, I hope you will be as happy as I am. If you are not sure, do it like I did. Visit the shops, have a go in there, and study the various review websites and forums for real user experience sharing and reviews.

Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great camera, 2 April 2014
Great camera. Exactly what we needed. Reminded me why a phone camera is just not enough for family pics. Word.

5.0 out of 5 stars fabulous, 24 Mar 2014
Good quality pictures and easy to change to video when needed. As I have upgraded from D40 I find the controls are similar.It would be better if it came with extra battery.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic product, 5 Feb 2014
Very pleased with the product.
I have started taking pictures and really like the quality
Delivery timescales were excellent
Would recommend

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic camera, 22 Dec 2013
I bought this camera as a Christmas present for myself, and I am happy I did. Still in the early days of using it but it meets all my expectations and then some. I bought it after reading a lot of online reviews on camera magazine websites and their level of detail are a true likening for the product.

Also a hats off to Amazon, I had a slight personal issue with my order and they managed to resolve it extremely quickly and efficiently.

ARRAY(0xb33292a0)