Shop now Shop Clothing clo_fly_aw15_NA_shoes Shop All Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop Fire TV Shop now Shop Fire HD 6 Shop Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Shop now

Animale(s)
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:£17.26+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Legendary, infamously weighted blackened sludge metallers Celeste return with a double album so heavy and chaotic it could do with being stamped with a health warning. Something along the lines of "Do not listen to Animale(s) if you are prone to dizzy-ness, nausea, back pain or are on a course of heavy sedatives".

Coma inducing grooves won't stop, with these gargantuan chords creating the densest, bleakest and most dreadful atmospheres - when the pace is vamped up, the sludge is more identifiable as black metal energy, with the dissonance and kinetics combining to inflict a, quite literally, judging wall of sound on me. I feel every chord change like the acidity of my stomach is becoming more concentrated, if I'm not careful, by the end of the 70 minutes, I can be left quite anxious and confused.

Where with bands like neurosis, their sadness is a warming melancholy, birthing a sort of internally educating emotional response, Celeste go further than that to the nihilistic, misanthropic point of just cutting away at the listener with their unrewarding negativity. Unless you can't tell by my score, I consider this a most note worthy achievement.

The song (X) is in-arguably this years crowning masterpiece song - The structure of the dirging build up in the second half, with flickers over to the only hopeful chord on the whole album before the band's partiality to devastation comes back in like being hit in the side of the knee with a baseball bat.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again