5.0 out of 5 stars A buried treasure that must be explored
Absolutely stunning. Words do not exist to describe the brilliance of this album and I sit in amazement reminding myself that it was recorded 30 years ago.
Published on 25 Aug 2004 by J. Milner

2.0 out of 5 stars Overrated!
Published on 27 Oct 2009 by UK Deadhead

5.0 out of 5 stars A buried treasure that must be explored, 25 Aug 2004
J. Milner "jcmilner" (Hull, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: From Home to Home (Audio CD)
Originally known as Kaleidescope, releasing several albums on Fontana which were awash with sixties psychedelia, Fairfield Parlour made this one forgotten gem for sister label, Vertigo (possibly the most daring and original of the progressive labels).
Even though the sixties were still fresh in people's minds the music herein is a development from the rather simplistic sound of that decade but contains the freshness and immediacy of Kaleidescope.
Not really folk, not rock and not pop, this seems to defy genres. There's epic ballads a plenty, simple catchy songs and a mix that is never saturated. Many of the songs tell simple stories for which your imagination provides the pictures.
Anyone fascinated by the early Vertigo releases would be advised to check this one out. Before music disappeared into the shoe-gazing self-indulgent meanderings of the early 70s there existed this uncluttered harmony of sound. This deserved a wider audience then so it's nice to see the balance being slightly redressed with it's long overdue reissue today.
On a final note, the sound quality of this remaster deserves a mention because it is incredible. This really has been lovingly restored and actually puts many modern recordings to shame. Tape hiss is non existent and the clarity of each instrument, especially the drums, is outstanding. The closely miked vocals are so clean sounding that you really do feel you're hearing this in the studio. The marvels of modern technology but still with a warm anaolgue feel.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm listening to it now, 11 Sep 2005
D. J. H. Thorn "davethorn13" (Hull, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: From Home to Home (Audio CD)
.They come across as polite members of Victorian society, both in name and on the album sleeve, and earnest politeness is how I'd describe vocalist Peter Daltrey's delivery on Fairfield Parlour's "From Home To Home". I can almost imagine them turning up at the studio on penny-farthings before retiring to their gentleman's club.
More importantly, this is exquisite pop, thoroughly accessible without drifting innocuously in any mainstream category. Delicate acoustic and rhythmic textures are made robust by a clear, up-front production and more vivid by frequent bursts of
electric instrumentation and harmony vocals.
Maybe it was too sophisticated to succeed commercially. Most successful singles artists look for a hit formula at some time, a gimmick or a mundane but easily remembered hook. The melodies here are great, but teenagers would probably have had more difficulty remembering a title and lyric like "Bordeaux Rose", included here as a bonus, than say, "Yellow River" or "Get It On". Fairfield Parlour, by contrast, sound too absorbed by their songs to be concerned with airplay. There are some lovely stories here and "Emily" positively soars. The sublime and the beautiful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful - hard to classify, but who cares?, 27 Dec 2005
This review is from: From Home to Home (Audio CD)
Simply fantastic - this album is light enough to float on air. The melodies are just lovely. If you can get past the lyrics, that haven't aged well (I think they're great, I mean, 'I have written you a book, all about a silly man... ... And also a monkey!' Awesome.) This is a gem of all psychedelic music. Don't miss it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly timeless classic, 5 Feb 2008
Archy (ALTRINCHAM, Cheshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: From Home to Home (Audio CD)
It's hard to believe this was recorded way back in 1970, so fresh and clear is the sound on this marvellous CD. The album was an absolute gem, an overlooked and timeless classic that followed on from two other equally brilliant albums under the earlier incarnation of Kaleidoscope. Lovely melodies, great lyrics, diverse instrumentation, this is a joy to hear. Check out singer/keyboardist/lyricist Peter Daltrey's solo work too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 9 July 2014
excellent

5.0 out of 5 stars Eddie Puma masterwork, 6 Jan 2012
This review is from: From Home to Home (Audio CD)
Eddie Puma late of Capitol Radio played this to me at Mascalls in South Ken when released all those years ago.
It is still their magnum opus and a great disc. I Lost touch, with them & I now live in Arundel so Eddie if you're still out there ring me on 01243 558848

5.0 out of 5 stars I'll have to buy this again, 1 Oct 2006
This review is from: From Home to Home (Audio CD)
I first bought this album in 1971. In fact I bought two copies. It was on sale in the local Co-op (sadly, long defunct) for 50p. I took the first copy home but it had a slight scratch on one of the tracks, so I bought another. I know I could have taken the first one back, but I was afraid that if the second one had a scratch, they might sell out, leaving me without this wonderful record. I had never heard of Fairfield Parlour but I had just got a record player for Christmas and I needed something to play on it. I have never heard of Fairfield Parlour since, but I was rummaging through my old LPs and saw my two FP albums. I thought I'd look them up on the web and, lo and behold, From Home To Home is out on CD. I really must buy a third copy with the extra tracks.

This really is a lovely album. The lyrics are great, I think: 'Whitey died flying through Woollies window'. Brilliant. And the music is marvellous. I listened to it again for the first time in years a few weeks ago and I was amazed at how good it still sounded. Fairfield Parlour deserved fame and wealth and everything that goes with success. It's a shame they never got it. This album should be heard by all who appreciate good music.

2.0 out of 5 stars Overrated!, 27 Oct 2009
This review is from: From Home to Home (Audio CD)
I bought this CD on the recommendations of others. I also recall that it had something of a following when it was first released although I never got round to hearing it. It is most certainly quirky British pop music but there are so many others bands who do this sort of thing so much better. As for the sound quality on this CD, it sound rather like it was transferred from a vinyl copy and although there is no obvious evidence to support this, I can't believe that the sound would be so compressed if Repertoire Records had been given access to first generation master tapes. Maybe they can clear this one up for us if they read the review. I'll certainly give it some more plays but I doubt that I shall revise my impression on first listen ... Quirky and not unpleasant ... But most certainly overrated!

From Home To Home