5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious and touching
Published 11 months ago by al

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book which is funny
This story is amusing throughout and especially the housekeeper Ingrid. Her character is hilarious. This is a nice story with the happy ending you would expect.
Published 8 months ago by Joanne Middleton

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious and touching, 23 Oct 2013
This review is from: Younger Thinner Blonder (Kindle Edition)
I loved "Fat Girls and Fairy Cakes" so the bar was set high for Sue's follow up "Younger Thinner Blonder", but somehow she went above it. She managed that trick of balancing humour with hard hitting issues, and it's really thought provoking in many ways throughout the book. She also carefully balanced writing a character that is hard to love early on, but intriguing enough to want to read more. Like her last book, she saved the best lines for the supporting cast, and when this book gets filmed, the actress playing Astrid will have a ball. It's a cliche, but I found it really hard to put the book down, and was only disappointed when it ended. Can't wait for her next one, hope it comes soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sue's done it again with another romp of a book, 7 Nov 2013
This review is from: Younger Thinner Blonder (Kindle Edition)
Sue's done it again. Following on from Fat Girls and Fairy Cakes we're back in the world of TV but what a different world with Tania Travis as the protagonist. By turn it's deliciously detailed, with a relationship on the rocks and Astrid the cleaner making as much sense as the name of an Ikea book shelf. I can already see Younger, Thinner, Blonder as a film and Astrid will be the star.
Laugh out loud funny and also dealing with OCD in a way I've never read before, I couldn't put this down missing my bus stop twice en route to work. Best thing is I read it on my Kindle app on my phone so I could carry on reading at work while pretending it was an important work-related email! More please Sue and more power to you. Britain needs a new leading lady of literature and we've found her!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant second book:-), 21 Oct 2013
Best Crime Books "Best Crime Books" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Sue Watson's debut novel Fat Girls and Fairy Cakes was released in 2012 and was an absolute winner with me. I was really excited and getting to read an early review copy of her new book and thankfully I wasn't disappointed. If there are people out there that wants to read a thoroughly meaningful book with morals and meaning, then please don't read this and then grumble. If, however, you are looking for an extremely humorous fictional take on what it's like to be a failing celebrity then this will be a winner!
Initially I found it hard to get to grips with the lead in the book Tanya Travis and the beginning felt a little bit `bitty'.

Luckily that lasted no more than a few chapters and I began to really like Tanya Travis. Yes, she is a daytime talk show and has the boyfriend, lifestyle and money to match; but we also get to see the normal side to this quirky and OCD inflicted character. Within the first quarter of the book the humour was ramped up and I found myself wondering why Sue Watson hasn't been writing for longer. In addition to Tanya, we meet Tanya's slightly eccentric and crazy agent Donna and the absolute legendary cleaner she employs, Astrid. One thing I will say is that in both of her books, there have been characters that haven't necessarily taken the led but which you absolutely fall in love with, and Astrid is most certainly one of them!

When Tanya's career takes a serious nosedive her life falls apart in front of the general public. With her life and career on the verge of crumbling, she manages to let her agent persuade her to take part in the reality TV show Celebrity Spa Trek. BY the second half of the book I didn't want to put the book down. The cleaner Astrid had me in hysterics, and Tanya's behaviour matched the hilarity. The section of the book where she takes part in the reality show doesn't dominate the book, but certainly adds the extra layer in terms of characters. There were some brilliant characters and I couldn't help making real life comparisons (which makes it even funnier).

I certainly guessed where the book would go towards the end, but am glad that it was written the way it was. I only have one criticism about this latest book and that is the cover! I know people may think that's a trivial matter, but for some reason I just don't think the cover is enough to make people want to pick it up if they were in a bookshop. The cover certainly doesn't do justice to the book itself, that's for sure.With the cover issue aside, I can honestly say that if you want a really funny book to transport you from everyday humdrums, and lift your mood then this is the book for you. This was an outstanding second book by Sue Watson which does exactly what it says on the tin. Can't wait to see what she comes up with next.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a fabulously entertaining book!, 17 Oct 2013
Kim The Book Worm (Staffordshire) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Tanya Travis is the talk show Queen of Daytime TV and she thinks no-one can touch her. With toy-boy Nathan, in her shadow, who is according to the press a womaniser and wannabe music star, happily spending all her money, she lives a life where she is always trying to stay ahead of the competition.

Her crazy life is a daily challenge and because no-one really gets close to her, her only real friends are Donna her ball-busting agent and potty-mouthed Astrid who is her cleaner. When Donna offers her a place on TV show Celebrity Spa Trek, Tanya feels that it is way beneath her. However, when her life unexpectedly starts to fall apart, she may have to consider this as her only option.

OMG! Did I laugh at this book! Astrid was the most hilarious character I think I've come across in a book - ever. Foul-mouthed but with a huge heart I think Mrs Watson should be writing a book all about her next! I can't really tell you any more about her as it would spoil the read, but I have to just tell you to be prepared! She will have you in bits! I learned lots of new swear words and phrases, which I'm still tittering about days later, so it was also quite an educational read!

You warm to Tanya throughout the book, realising that she is not the person that the public think she is, and it does make you realise that there are people in the world just like her who must be frightened to death to make friends, speak out of turn or do anything that the press would turn around deliberately to ruin lives.

I first knew of Sue Watson when I read her debut novel Fat Girls & Fairy Cakes. That too was a brilliant book and I had high hopes for her second.

Sue Watson has certainly not disappointed me. In fact, she has totally exceeded over and above my expectations. I loved every single minute of it. I loved learning about Nepal and the customs and learning about the beauty in complete contrast to the poverty and suffering. I strangely loved the way that one minute I was crying with laughter and the next crying with the sheer emotion of her words.

This book left me with a great big smile on my face and a warm feeling in my heart. I hope to read many more of her books in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super book, 30 Jan 2014
This review is from: Younger Thinner Blonder (Kindle Edition)
A perfect antidote to our superficial lives....an yet it contains all that we love best .....talk shows ...reality shows and celebrity ....in the end though what is it that really matters x

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, 25 Jan 2014
This review is from: Younger Thinner Blonder (Kindle Edition)
Having read Sue Watson's 1st book, I knew this one would be a good read and it certainly was - enjoyed it from start to finish and have recommended to friends

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read, 1 Jan 2014
This review is from: Younger Thinner Blonder (Kindle Edition)
Really good light reading. Don't have much time to read but any spare moment I got I had to pick up and read this book. Maybe a lesson learnt from this book. Money doesn't bring happiness. Read it it's great

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun!, 19 Dec 2013
Really enjoyed this book and read it very quickly. Loved the characters especially Astrid who had a unique loveable personality. I think Sue tackled Tania's OCD very well and I enjoyed that aspect to her character also, it allowed me to understand her better. I would definitely read a book by Sue Watson again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Younger, Thinner, Blonder, 27 Nov 2013
I really enjoyed this book - it was hard to put down! The characters were very real; I could empathise with Tanya the lead character and I could thoroughly 'escape' into the story. Parts of it were hilarious making me laugh out loud, while other parts were thought provoking. A truly excellent read with just the right mixture of ingredients. I felt sad when I came to the end but I'm about to read Fat Girls and Fairy Cakes by Sue Watson, so I'm really looking forward to that!

5.0 out of 5 stars A romping fun read, 17 Nov 2013
This review is from: Younger Thinner Blonder (Kindle Edition)
Did I belly laugh at this book! Astrid was the funniest character ever. Sue Watson, what great characterisation What a Foul-mouthed cleaner, I wish she was mine. Some great one liners in this book and the main character Tanya you cannot help but warm to. Combine Tanya, talk show host of daytime TV, her toy boy Nathan, spending all her money like no tomorrow and a calamity which unexpectedly leaves Tanya to consider a job on the TV show Celebrity Spa Trek and you have one very funny and at times touching novel. A great read.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›