5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh out loud on the road to love
Wow! Where to start. Ruth offered me an e-copy of this book in return for an honest review. It gives me great pleasure to say it was brilliant.

Published 14 months ago by Crooksonbooks

2.0 out of 5 stars Sadly predictable
Disappointed by the storyline which lacked credibility and the heroine of the story needed shooting for her naive attitude. Adding -ji to the end of names ie Mummyji was so annoying.....and would have apppreciated either the full use of Ammaji or Mummy. Read to the end as a courtesy bht definitely would not recommend unless completely bored
Published 7 months ago by ranjan ravat

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh out loud on the road to love, 15 Dec. 2013

Many people dismiss chick-lit as having no substance but often, as was the case with this book, you learn so much. I have been fortunate enough to have attended an Asian wedding and have experienced first hand the generousity and vibrancy that Ruth managed to portray so well in her book. For me Mills Ali the main character is brilliant. I felt every emotion that she felt - I laughed out loud and cried with her all the way through the book. By the end I felt she could have been someone I knew personally.

Mills is a typical young adult who feels stifled by her family, who actually understand her better than she realises. With the help of her mother she persuades her father to let her pursue her ambition to become a journalist and sets off to work on a magazine in London for twelve months - what she doesn't tell them is that she's also going to spend the year finding her own future husband to avoid the marriage her parents have arranged for her to a groom she's never met!

At the heart of the novel is the strong message of personal, cultural and family values which were different for Mills and her western friends but amounted to the same thing - respect! Ruth managed to weave the exotic Pakistani culture into this book in such a way I could see and taste the exotic Eastern clothes and food. She managed this in a typical, laugh out loud chick-lit style whilst respectfully conveying the difficulties and emotional struggles faced by young Muslim women living in a modern, western, society.

It's a very modern book which I highly recommend to any chick lit lover. Ruth Saberton is an author to sit up and take notice of - thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful and entertaining!, 16 Jun. 2014
This review is from: The Wedding Countdown (Kindle Edition)
The most funny book I've read in a while! As a white woman I have little in knowledge of Pakistani culture or traditional Muslim family traditions, this book was written in such a way that I never felt alienated and felt like I was part of the gang. As well as being an entertaining read, I've learnt a lot along the way.
Bollywood without the tinsel, singing and dancing!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read!, 11 Jun. 2014
M. Blake - See all my reviews
I love Ruth Saberton's books, and this one was brilliant. Great storyline with a bit of a twist, and I enjoyed learning about a different culture. I'd definitely recommend it :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it !!, 7 Jun. 2014
This review is from: The Wedding Countdown (Kindle Edition)
I was hooked from the first chapter,a fascinating peek into how relationships work in a different culture.
I was so eager to find out what happened next almost missed my stop on the train...one of those books you can't put down but you really don't want it to end.

2.0 out of 5 stars Sadly predictable, 19 July 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 15 July 2014
This review is from: The Wedding Countdown (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed reading this book

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 15 July 2014
This review is from: The Wedding Countdown (Kindle Edition)
I didn't finish it - disappointing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Wedding countdown, 13 July 2014
This review is from: The Wedding Countdown (Kindle Edition)
Mills is brought up in her cultures ways but manages to persuade her family to let her continue her education. She completes her degree and wants to continue on her career path. Her family has a different idea. This book shows the problems encountered by different cultures living in modern Britain. A nice summer read.

5.0 out of 5 stars loved it!!, 11 July 2014
This review is from: The Wedding Countdown (Kindle Edition)
Loved this book!! I was actually sad when I finished it. Not because of the story, everything ends up well, but because I was gripped by the story and the characters. The story gives an insight into the difficulties Asian girls face when looking for love and as such was brilliant.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Good, 7 July 2014
This review is from: The Wedding Countdown (Kindle Edition)
I genuinely don't understand how this book has so many positive reviews. I found this badly written, with a strange plot. I also found it worrying that a sexual assault took place, with no obvious repercussions for the perpetrator. Don't bother with this book, don't waste your money.

The Wedding Countdown