4.0 out of 5 stars Dark, tense and grisly. Good stuff.
I was a little dubious about this one, another American remake of a film (Mexican this time) that perhaps doesn't really need remaking. I was sold by the fact it's directed by Jim Mickle, the man behind the excellent Stake Land (check it out). Well I'm glad I gave it a go, I felt We Are What We Are was a gritty, grisly horror/thriller and well worth the trip...
Published 9 months ago by Richard Morton

3.0 out of 5 stars A Slow Moving Horror Film about a Hick Family of Cannibals
Iris and Rose Parker are a couple of strait-laced sisters aged in their early teens, who live in a quiet hick town in the Catskills. Their middle-aged mother dies in a freak drowning incident, leaving their forty-something father Frank as the head of the family. They have a very timid and taciturn younger brother, who's aged about eight.
The Parkers are an insular,...
Published 21 days ago by Bill

4.0 out of 5 stars Dark, tense and grisly. Good stuff., 8 Oct. 2014
Richard Morton (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: We Are What We Are [DVD] (DVD)

The plot focuses mainly on the Parker family, who live in a rural American town. After Mrs Parker passes away early on in the piece, we're left with the domineering father, Frank, with his two daughters and young son. There's something not quite right about this family though relating to Franks insistence on following some strange rituals. More is revealed about this as we go, prompted by a storm and flood and some curious locals.

I won't say anymore about the plot, I think it's better to go in fresh if you don't already know too much. What follows is a creepy, atmospheric, slow burning chiller - it's not fast paced and is not built on action set pieces but can bring a little carnage when required. The acting is of a good standard all round, especially surprisingly excellent turns from some of the younger cast members.

Recommended from me but perhaps don't watch it around mealtimes.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Slow Moving Horror Film about a Hick Family of Cannibals, 8 July 2015
Bill (England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
This review is from: We Are What We Are [DVD] (DVD)
The Parkers are an insular, reclusive and God-fearing family. They also practice cannibalism. After the premature death of their 47 year old mother, the two girls are mandated by their domineering father to carry on the family tradition of butchery. During a torrential downpour, a river bursts its banks and washes the remains of human skeletons downstream into the village, whereupon the local doctor comes across one of the human bones in a puddle...
This movie has the look and feel of a film adaptation of a Stephen King novel even though it isn't one. It's somewhat handicapped by lazy pacing and builds its story in a languorous fashion. The Parker family are actually a little bit dull, especially if you compare them to a genuinely scary and memorable family like the one in House Of 1000 Corpses (Rob Zombie), and they're not exactly convincing as a family of human flesh-eating freaks.
This film isn't an exploitation cannibal gore-fest like Cannibal Holocaust or Cannibal Ferox, and it's not a schlock horror or black comedy about cannibalism like Eating Raoul. It has the vibe of a slow-paced thriller and the story of cannibalism isn't visualised in a way that creates any shocks or scares.
However, the acting is undeniably good, the film score is excellent, it's nicely shot, and the story is passable. It's just rather odd that a horror film about a taboo subject like cannibalism, has the look and feel of a made for TV movie which one watches on a lazy, rainy Sunday afternoon. It's okay-ish, but it doesn't bring anything interesting or new to the horror sub-genre of cannibal flicks.
A far superior film about cannibalism, which has the same high production values as this movie, but is far more gripping and exciting, is Ravenous (Robert Carlisle) - highly recommended.
Thank you very much for taking the time to read this review.

4.0 out of 5 stars A family that dines together..., 26 Mar. 2014
This review is from: We Are What We Are [DVD] (DVD)
We Are What We Are is a remake of the 2010 Mexican Horror film of the same name. While the original was a solid film in its own right, the remake improves many aspects of the original, I actually enjoyed both films as each gave us a similar plot but with a different perspective. After their mother dies in a tragic slip where she ends up drowning in a ditch, the young girls of the Parker Family are not only left to take care of their distraught father and oblivious younger brother, but to tend to the family traditions, most of which involved butchering young girls and eating them, because God says so. The Parker clan lives a simple life in the Catskills, serving God and doing their best to avoid notice. When the same torrential rainstorm that threw their ailing mother in a ditch starts washing old human bones downstream, the local Doctor (and Coroner?) starts to question just what is up with the clan, and if they had anything to do with the recent disappearance of his daughter. With a dead mother, a shaky and creepy dad, a nosy neighbor and the town Doctor and Police asking too many questions, the daughters of the Parker Family take up their duties and do their best to uphold a family tradition that really shows just how messed up their family is. Nastiness and uncomfortable dinner scenes ensue. Those who don't like slow burn films probably won't enjoy this film, some parts admittedly were a bit slow however it does improve during the second half as the tone of the film quickly becomes darker and more disturbing. The opening scene of the movie sets the tone and a fairly high quality bar for the movie. It all feels very sparse and simple, and never gets too over-complex, while at the same time weaving a pretty intricate tapestry of patriarchy, morals, and Religion around the horrifying practice of cannibalism. Everyone in the cast did an amazing job, and so it's hard to single out just a few of them for praise especially the two young daughters, I thought that the acting was definitely top notch. We Are What We Are is a macabre slice of cinema and is also a good mix of drama and horror. It may not be for everyone as it is a slow burn but there is true depth in here that is worth exploring.

3.0 out of 5 stars I really wanted to like this more, 28 Jun. 2014
This review is from: We Are What We Are (DVD)
‘We Are What We Are’ is a ‘remake’ of a Mexican horror film. Now, I haven’t seen the original, but – according to other reviewers who have – this new version only really borrows the basic source material and puts its own American spin on it. I can’t compare the two, but, as it began, I had high hopes for it.

It’s about a family in a small American town who, after the mother of the family dies suddenly, start to have to face up to life without her. This would be hard enough, but this family are also cannibals who believe in eating humans as part of their religion.

It’s a horror movie. However, in Hollywood it seems that there are only really two types of horror films these days – zombie outbreaks and Japanese-inspired ghosts who terrorise single parents. Perhaps I’ve got a bit too used to those two variations of the genre and couldn’t really appreciate this one. It doesn’t conform to many of today’s horror films. It’s well-shot, subtly acted and oozes brooding menace. These are all plus points for the film, but the only thing that struck me was how slow it was. After about half an hour I was praying for someone to impale someone else on a chainsaw. By an hour I was struggling to recall a single pertinent event at all!

Kelly McGillis deserves a special mention as the local doctor who figures that there’s more going on in this town than he can put his finger on, but, despite his excellent performance, it still doesn’t move things on as fast as I was hoping it would.

I hope I haven’t become completely immune to subtle horror, as, deep down, I know this film was actually quite good. I just wanted it to speed up a little bit more. You really have to be in the mood for something slow to sit down and watch this.

3.0 out of 5 stars Violent thriller., 11 April 2015
This is definitely not a horror movie.

This is a thriller with some VERY horrific, graphic scenes in it, especially in the last few minutes of the film - I am not squimish and have watched plenty of gory and explicit scenes, but I could not help gagging at that point.

Very good performances. Extremely unsavoury topic - wholly reality based. Generally horrific.

Avoid if you are impressionable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Slow moving but captivating, slightly suspenseful and somewhat Gothic ..., 7 Nov. 2014
This review is from: We Are What We Are (DVD)
Slow moving but captivating, slightly suspenseful and somewhat Gothic, the Family History sub-Plot unfolds suggestively without any need for over-the-top, hard-hitting Blood & Guts shockers, whilst a remote, grey & gloomy back-drop adds to the deathly feel of this well acted Movie... don't make the mistake of eating an Evening Meal as the conclusion approaches....

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite Good, 30 April 2015
This is a good film that's certainly very watchable in comparison to a lot of the other horror movies available on Amazon Prime. "We Are What We Are" seems to be based on the Sawney Bean legend or similar stories and was thus it was interesting to watch from that perspective, I could really have done without watching the last few minutes though.

4.0 out of 5 stars Horror of a different kind, 11 Aug. 2014
Mr. F. P. Moon (Hull, East Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: We Are What We Are (DVD)
Quite essentially a very different horror movie, not focussing so much on the supernatural but the kind of things that can go on behind the closed doors of seemingly ordinary families. If you can live with the slow burn nature of the narrative the truly shocking ending will leave most horror fans satisfied.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Melodramatic indication of flesh eating cinema, 19 Mar. 2014
This review is from: We Are What We Are [DVD] (DVD)
"We are what we are expresses the force outs of distressingly abnormal characteristics on a family of man eaters"

This Eerie disturbance focuses on the peculiar 3 individual relatives (THE PARKERS)

unfortunately we are what we are tries hard to present originality and adamant hardcore horror then again Regrettably lacks in uniqueness and production.

Little in the way of blood and gore, shock and repulsion I am glad to point out that fortunately the cast deliver true to life and remarkable performances from start to finish.

Do not get me wrong this independent horror flick has parts that show violence and gore but those scenes have been used dozens of times in films before. Even the scenes that are meant to be upsetting deliver very little in the way of emotions, instead you'll be bored of the gory scenes and will want to focus more on the personalities and expressions of the Parkers ....

All in all not a great film .. maybe give this one a miss and save you're earning for a better film.

3.0 out of 5 stars Gothic & Melancholy storytelling..., 28 Nov. 2013
This review is from: We Are What We Are [DVD] (DVD)
It's essentially a movie about family loyalty & commitment with some 'meaty' undertones... when their mother dies, the father & his two daughters & his son learn to cope without her, it's business as usual as they say. With a backdrop of missing persons & a book about family ritual regarding the 17th Century, the movie explores the girls increasing frustrating relationship with their father & their traditions, they should be dating boys & doing what girls do & you feel they are missing out on their adolescence years, the son is very young & seems oblivious to his family traditions & he eats what his sisters prepare for him.

The first half of the movie is by far the best, the build up of tension is deliberate & it keeps you wondering, as the movie progresses I found myself losing interest, the missing persons story wasn't delved into enough & it dragged in parts in the middle towards a very bloody finale.

The acting & directing is very good, the score is by Jeff Grace who also did the music to The House Of The Devil & their are some creative gory death scenes in the film, their is a creepy scene when the son goes down into the basement, their is also an unnecessary simulated sex scene in the film which I thought seemed redundant for the latter part of the movie.

Overall, it is a bleak movie, it seems to never stop raining, their are religious undertones & a sense of dread, the backdrop of this film reminded me of the film A Killing Affair 1986 (aka: My Sisters Keeper), it was also set in a rural small town America & was very downbeat.

We Are What We Are [DVD]
We Are What We Are [DVD] by Jim Mickle (DVD - 2014)