4.0 out of 5 stars The front cover art works spoils it.
Published 2 months ago by DAN H.

2.0 out of 5 stars It's mediocre
I agree with the other reviewers. The promo looked great, it had a brilliant cast, the plot looked good and relevant to the times we live in... It's just such a let down. I can't believe I'm writing that about a film starring Harrison Ford and Gary Oldman. Both great actors who have starred in some fantastic films.

The film lacks tension and suspense, any depth...
Published 3 months ago by AmyMadeInThe80s

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars It's mediocre, 20 Mar 2014
This review is from: Paranoia [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)

The film lacks tension and suspense, any depth to the plot, and I was sat there wondering if they'd aimed it a 12 years olds?! I groaned inside at the romantic moments, there's no chemistry between Liam Hemsworth and Amber Heard. They don't develop any of the relationships in the film, everything is totally superficial. There's no depth to the characters at all. I would summarise the film as pretty cheesy. It could have been so good, instead it's just bad!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Damp Squib that should have been a Cracker!, 24 Nov 2013
Valerie J. (West Yorks, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Paranoia [DVD] (DVD)
Adam Cassidy (Liam Hemsworth) is a bright young man and he is trying to sell his employer, Nicolas Wyatt (Gary Oldman), an idea that he and his techie friends and colleagues have come up with. Wyatt, however, is rude and indifferent, and fires them all. Cassidy is now in a financial fix as there is no insurance to cover the latest medical treatment for his father (Richard Dreyfuss) and when he is later approached by wily Wyatt with an offer he really cannot refuse - to infiltrate the company of Jock Goddard (Harrison Ford) and steal the latest thing to be marketed by that company - Cassidy takes the opportunity to get rich. However, Wyatt and Goddard were once partners who now wage a technological war against each other and Cassidy is just a pawn in the game.

How can Paranoia (2013), a movie starring actors of the calibre of Gary Oldman, Richard Dreyfuss, and Harrison Ford, appear to be so teen-flicky? It all feels rather superficial and the romantic scenes between Liam Hemworth and Amber Heard just make it worse - I felt like I'd slipped into the Twilight zone. Yet the idea behind the plot is actually quite decent (despite the plot being riddled with holes) and actually ends with an unexpected result, like a damp squib that should have been a cracker. Not sure just how convincing the corporate machinations and technological devices are (even though I am pretty sure we are all being watched, monitored, and spied upon at some point or other - at least in the UK) but it's an entertaining enough movie if your expectations are really low. The cinematography is good and Gary Oldman is great although why the hell he and Harrison Ford would take a part in this film is beyond me. Didn't they read the script?

VJ - Movies and Books World

4.0 out of 5 stars The front cover art works spoils it., 23 April 2014
This review is from: Paranoia [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I have just watched this film and really enjoyed it, despite the mostly negative reviews I have read. To be honest I don't tend to read much into reviews and make my own mind up. What makes this film look bad to the eye is the DVD cover. I know we have our young good looking star on the front taking up most of the space, but he is not a very good actor if I am honest. That's the issue these days that it all goes by how good the person looks not what really matters, which is the acting. All this pretty boy nonsense gets up my hooters and all the waltzing around with your top off or nothing but bath towel on, low around the hips. Please, it's boring and childish. The film it's self has a good story and Gary Oldman and Harrison Ford are very good as you would expect. Ford in particular gives a great bad guy performance and gets his teeth into the role, but he should be in the film more. On the whole then this movie is a bit sloppy but holds up well so I would recommend you don't get paranoid about its bad rap, and watch it.

4.0 out of 5 stars It'll put a smile on your face., 8 July 2014
This review is from: Paranoia [DVD] (DVD)
A good film, especially if you are a fan of Amber Heard, one that can be watched more than once.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 4 July 2014
Great film

3.0 out of 5 stars Started well... fizzled out, 30 Jun 2014
This review is from: Paranoia (DVD)
The ending is by far the worst part of the movie. It started off well but between Gary Oldman's odd "cockney" accent and Harrison Ford trying to play a bad guy (doesn't work on him).. it just got a bit too much. Also - Amber Heard is one of the worst actresses I've seen recently. Only watch if there's nothing else on.

2.0 out of 5 stars DISAPPOINTED, 26 Jun 2014
This review is from: Paranoia [DVD] (DVD)
This film promised so much; not only from the advertising bumph but the cast list. From my point of view, they were wrong. I was so bored that I did my bank reconciliation while it was on as it stopped me from falling asleep. This does nothing for Amber Heard as it makes her dreadful actress. Perhaps I missed something. Disappointed with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Paranoia, 19 Jun 2014
This review is from: Paranoia [DVD] (DVD)
Was great film, although the same ilk as Lucky Number Sleven it was more updated but not as good. The stars in lucky number sleven more than made a excellent movie (just my opinion)

3.0 out of 5 stars Contrived Corporate Thriller, 3 Jun 2014
Mitun (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Paranoia [DVD] (DVD)
'Paranoia' is a corporate espionage thriller film that released in 2013, becoming a critical flop and a box-office disaster. The film is based on a novel of the same name authored by Joseph Finder.

The story follows Adam Cassidy (Liam Hemsworth) who is employed by Nicholas Wyatt (Gary Oldman) as a corporate spy in an attempt to infiltrate the business secrets of his rival, Augustine "Jock" Goddard (Harrison Ford).

The movie starts off interesting with an impressive star cast. The idea was smart and it was an easy watch. The problem was the predictability and no suspense throughout. I was expecting some form of tension, which was probably forgotten during the convoluted events. The ending is satisfying though.

The big star cast and the interesting subject hyped up the movie, as a result the basic end product fails to fulfill the potential. The movie is watchable and actually enjoyable if all high expectations are lowered.

Acting by everyone is what was expected. Oldman and Ford are a treat to watch.

The direction by Robert Luketic is rather predictable, even though he tries hard to introduce convoluted twists to make this a competent thriller. In the end, the script is the main let down.

'Paranoia' is an inaccurate name for the film as there is an absence of what the title suggests, Paranoia.

4.0 out of 5 stars worth a watch, 31 May 2014
This review is from: Paranoia [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Enjoyable film but no surprises, worth a watch but you spend the whole time waiting for a twist that never happens.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Paranoia [DVD]
Paranoia [DVD] by Robert Luketic (DVD - 2014)
4.00