5.0 out of 5 stars Simple. Speedy.
This is a great and inexpensive device to boost your file transfer rates.

Two important things:

1. It doesn't come with a molex splitter as some past reviews state, the product name and description now reflect that change.

Published on 20 Sep 2011 by Gaxxian

Card arrived promptly and well packaged. Be careful when cutting the tough retail packaging that you don't damage the mini CD hidden within -you'll need this to get started!

Published on 21 Sep 2012 by I. L. Atkin

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, but you need to be a bit savvy to get this working right, 21 Sep 2012
I. L. Atkin (Worcester, UK) - See all my reviews

The card is quite dainty and fits nicely into your PCI Express slot (the tiny white one). It's a high profile card with a height of 4.2 inches; so don't buy this if you've got a low-profile case. Remember to fit the card with your PC turned off and all power cables removed.

Now there are two aspects of this card which I thought are worth comment; the drivers and the molex power connector on the card.

First, the molex connector. This is the white 4-pin power connector on the side of the card. This needs to be fed from one of the 12v molex cables coming from your PC power supply (which you've already got feeding your DVD drive and hard disks). Some report here that this card works fine without feeding it extra power, and others say it doesn't. My vote on this is that if you want to maintain USB 3 device performance you MUST power the card with a molex cable. To illustrate, when I provide extra power through the molex connector, my Kingston HyperX drive gives a sustained throughput of 135MB/s. If I turn off the computer, remove the molex plug and reboot, the performance goes haywire, surging randomly from anything between 5 and 135MB/s. So whilst the card works without extra power, it obviously struggles.

Next -the drivers. I recommend you upgrade these as soon as possible from the internet. This will prevent the spontaneous disconnection issue that some have reported. Downloading the latest drivers though isn't trivial as the tecknetonline.co.uk website doesn't provide them. As this card hosts the NEC/Renesas Controller chip you can get the drivers from Intel directly by googling "USB 3.0: Renesas Electronics* USB 3.0 Driver". I upgraded to version 2.1.28.0 and on my Windows 7 machine I am happy to report no problems.

In summary, this card isn't exactly plug'n'play. It's plug in, ferret around with your PC wiring, scrounge a molex cable, hunt for drivers on the internet, and then, finally, you can play. On the positive side though, once it's up and running it's perfectly good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple. Speedy., 20 Sep 2011
This is a great and inexpensive device to boost your file transfer rates.

Two important things:

2. The newest version, being sold now, *doesn't require* an additional power supply to give full USB3 speeds and power - which is why the molex splitter is no longer included.

This is a very cost effective way to boost the speed of file transfers to and from external drives. A USB 3 capable portable drive I have transfers a 700MB file from it through USB2 at around 35 MB/s. Using USB3 via this card it transferred at a speed of around 100 MB/s. The marketing guff around USB saying 10 times the speed is exactly that: guff, but it performs appreciably faster than version 2 and can save sometimes valuable time.

Microsoft is still behing the curve and doesn't include USB 3 drivers in Windows 7 or via Windows Update (that may change) so you have to install driver software to make the card functional. Interestingly (and uniquely) the mini-CD that came with my card included a driver version NEWER than the one availbale on the internet (at a site the manual gives the link to).

The driver installed flawlessly and without hitch.

For only £9 for this card, which you now only have to plug straight into a PCI express slot to triple or quadruple your speeds (using USB3 devices) it's a no-brainer.

(Thanks to TeckNet for promptly addressing the matter of the splitter and the reviews that mentioned it, the same day I brought it to their attention.)

1.0 out of 5 stars The easiest way todestroy a PC, 7 May 2013
Purchased as part of a build of a new PC Z77 board I7 processor W7 Pro. Fitting this card renders the PC completely inoperable. It will not even complete the POST or even accept DEL to get into BIOS. Remove card and all is fine. A full day diagnosing the problem I will never buy Technet again. Caveat Emptor. Returned to Amazon

Real Rating 0

1.0 out of 5 stars Be careful, this can affect your PC, 21 Jun 2012
G. Mackey - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Firstly, the item that I received was not the same as the one I ordered: I asked for a 2-port card as per the photo, but received a 4-port card. Installation was speedy, I had the Molex splitter already fitted to my PC, so it only took 5 minutes to fit.

I installed the driver as described in the instructions & that should have been it: ready to go. I fitted a blue USB3 extension cable, plus a standard USB2 extension cable & tried to transfer files to my GoFlex USB3 external hard drive. What happened next was worrying: at first the files started to copy, but at around 20MB/sec, which was slower than the standard USB2 transfer rate to this drive; normally around 27MB/sec. Then the card stopped working & uninstalled itself. Next, my PC froze & would not shut down, so it had to be unplugged, which is a no-no! I removed the USB3 blue cable & plugged my devices directly into the card, effectively eliminating any compatibility problems. Later, I found the blue USB3 cable to be faulty as well, so it was a good move to take it out of the equation. Unfortunately, the card still uninstalled itself & froze my PC.

I removed & re-installed the card into another PCI slot, having carried out a system image restore on my PC to make sure there weren't any residual files that could corrupt the new installation. Exactly the same things happened; even trying different leads & external devices gave the same results. I carried out SEVEN system image restores in one day, & even checked the voltage levels within the PC to make sure they were OK, which they all were. I contacted the vendor, who was very helpful & I sent the card back for a refund. I refused to accept another Tecknet card as I had no confidence at all in the product.

I have since fitted an Octigen USB 3.0 PCI Express Card, which is 2-port, gives a transfer rate of around 50-70MB/sec & worked straight out of the box. It cost £12.59 & is well worth the money. I can't fault it: it even works with my Archos 5 internet tablet, which is the most fickle device I own!

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so easy, 25 May 2011
Lets get to the point, I am not sufficiently knowledgeable to write this item's first review and quote technical stuff, not with any meaning or without copying from the items description anyway, but what I can tell you is what arrived and whether it works.
I received a 2 x socket USB 3.0 card as described, a PSU link cable which provides power from the PSU to the card but is a double so you lose nothing, and a driver CD (home made as far as I can tell).

I can also tell you that installing was extremely easy and there were some pretty decent written instructions in the box also.

The USB 3.0 sockets work and I wrote some files to my external drive at speeds of up to 43 Kb/s before I stopped the test, this compares with about 8 to my USB 2.0 so the new USB is definitely quicker.

I have a Medion PC which is about 3 years old if that makes any difference (some reviews of other products said different ages of PC's will make a difference) I had a spare PCI express slot on the mother board so it all went swimmingly.

Oh and the price was low to boot so I am happy indeed.

1.0 out of 5 stars 4-port card warning, 21 Nov 2012
At the time of this writing, the seller is called UNICHAIN.

I got a 4 port card instead of 2 port advertized here, and it clearly looks different. Closer inspection reveals other differences. It has a microchip with "VLI VL800" written on it (very small writing on the chip). I have looked into this and shall leave a record of it here for your reference.

Upon visiting tecknetonline site, they have 2 cards: "TeckNet 3.0 PCI Express Interface Dual USB Expansion Card" and "TeckNet EU303B USB 3.0 4 Ports PCI Express Card for PC".

The former is a 2 port card with Renesas/NEC chip, which is what is advertised here. The latter is a 4 port card based on VIA Labs VL800 chip. Right now, 2-port card has higher retail value on their site.

Googling "VIA VL800" (chip on 4-port card) reveals a history of problems, mostly on incompatibility, and even de-stablizing your system. Feel free to do your own research if you doubt it.

I have returned this item without installing it, mainly because it's not what is shown above, but partly because VL800 chip scared me off. It is my judgement, so do what you like if you received a 4 port card. I have now received a refund and bought another card with NEC chip which is highly regarded. A family of NEC uPD7202xx are good chips for USB. I think the current gen is 720202 right now, but last 2 gens are just as good.

As for the rating, I have thought a lot about this: I can't help but feel that lower scores come from those who got the 4 port card. It's unfair for me to give 1 star for reviewing a wrong product, but I clicked on buy on this page to get it, and it seems I'm not alone here, seeing other negative reviews.

You probably have some chance of getting the 4 port card (the seller for me was "UNICHAIN", and it may not be intentional as the packaging must be very similar, both being TechNet product), which makes me feel that I have the duty to draw your attention before you throw the dice.

If you got the right product, then great. I'm sure it's good. If not, be careful.

1.0 out of 5 stars Power regulation faulty., 16 Oct 2012
Mr. T. Ballantine (Norwich, England) - See all my reviews
Had intermittent recognition of USB 2 and 3 devices through this hub. Then failed to recognise any external devices yet hub was lit up and recognised within windows. Attempted to take out my Super Talent USB stick and the hub sparked and melted part of it to the stick with a rancid smell of burnt plastic. Using a cooler master 620W power modular power supply which has never failed me. Returned hub.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works but getting the correct drivers can be a problem, 21 Dec 2013
I purchased this as a low cost upgrade to add some more USB 3.0 ports to my PC. Needs an PCI Express port so check you have not only a spare slot but sufficient clearance to fit. Sounds obvious I know, but my video card, with its own cooling fan, blocked one slot. Running Windows 7 the card didn't work as Windows 7 had no native drivers and try as I might I couldn't find any on the internet. An email to Bluebyte and I received a reply within a couple of hours with a link to download suitable software and drivers which you can find here : [...]

So a shaky start but it worked out in the end and functions without any problems at a very good price.

1.0 out of 5 stars No driver, 28 Oct 2013
This card looks ok but the disk does not seem to have a driver so I'm stuck with a useless card. I tried emailing the importer but they have not replied.they claim to reply in 12 hours. I searched for a driver and it seems that others have the same problems. Its a pity that a simple purchase causes so much hassle.

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not work with Linux, 16 Sep 2013
Despite the bullet point on the VIA website "Support various Linux kernels", this does not work in Linux (tested with Ubuntu 12.04's default kernel and the latest kernel). If you search for this you'll find a number of complaints that it doesn't work in Linux, with crashes and hangs a result. The Ubuntu page recommends you instead buy a USB 3.0 card based on the "NEC USB 3.0 chipset".