5.0 out of 5 stars It is so good I have passed around my office at work and ...
This film is a must. I haven't laughed so much at a film. It is so good I have passed around my office at work and everyone loves it.
Published 9 months ago by Yorkshirelass

1.0 out of 5 stars I give it a big fat zero
This film has some great actors in it: Rose Byrne, Rafe Spall, Stephen Merchant, Neil from The Young Ones. Why they signed up to this project is a mystery.

Published 16 days ago by Gerry O'D

1.0 out of 5 stars I give it a big fat zero, 9 May 2015

I Give It A Year is bad right from the start. Richard Curtis stylee it begins at the altar, with the minister (Julius from The Thick Of It) unfunnily coughing. A gag so hackneyed it shouldn't even be hinted at. After this unlikeable and unlaughable beginning the film just gets worse. It makes Love Actually look like a prize - and that is saying something.

Do not rent or buy this film. If you are considering it, why not instead go to the DVD shop, close your eyes and pick something at random - it will be better than this, even if it's an instructional on how to paint skirting boards or a documentary about Canberra.

2.0 out of 5 stars I give it a Hmmmm., 4 Sept. 2013
I should have been suspicious when this film had the same producers of love actually. It has the sweet saccharine shadow of a Richard Curtis UK and a plot and dialogue to match. In fairness there are some laugh at loud moments, but this does not compensate for a predictable empty 2 hours.
ps Merchant was extremely annoying in his scenes.

3.0 out of 5 stars Sporadically funny- ultimately soulless, 20 Jun. 2013
In places very funny (essentially whenever Stephen Merchant is on screen) this is a mildly entertaining, if formulaic, romantic comedy. I liked the two leads (Rafe Spall and Rose Byrne) and thought that it was a fundamental flaw in the film that the chemistry between them was, ironically, very good and convincing. They seemed made for each other. Hence the flaw. The biggest problem, however, was the story's slightness and contrivance, and that it's over-arching take on marriage was bitter and cynical. It is a product of its time. In places cruelly funny, but empty of a core of humanity.

2.0 out of 5 stars Turned me off, 30 Mar. 2015
A. Nicholls (Oxfordshire) - See all my reviews
Too crude for me to enjoy would not recommend

1.0 out of 5 stars Trying so hard that it hurts, 27 Aug. 2013
Rusty (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Here's a shocking statement: I don't think Stephen Merchant is even remotely funny. He had his moment of fame with The Office... and his "cringeworthy" style of comedy has gone really stale, really fast. Surely it's time to move on from this snide, awkward kind of humour that makes English culture look so shallow and cynical?

I focus on Merchant because his brand of comedy is basically the model for the entire script. Everyone is sarcastic, or smarmy, or crude, or spiteful - or trying so, so hard to be "quirkily" funny that it physically hurts to watch them deliver their lines.

The ending is particularly bad - and the sentiment behind it, if you wipe away the thin veneer of comedy, is dark and distasteful. A really rubbish film that makes the UK film industry look amateur.

1.0 out of 5 stars and I would give it 0* if I could!, 6 Dec. 2014
I watched this film last night and I can quite safely say, without any fear of hyperbole, that it is one of the worst I have ever seen. The plot is preposterous, the screenplay is trite and banal beyond belief, the characters are one-dimensional stereotypes, some of the humour verges on the offensive and the whole thing is a complete and utter mess. Some of the scenes are so excruciating and tedious to watch that I actually felt quite embarrassed for the actors involved. Ostensibly the film is about what makes for a successful relationship and what makes people compatible with one another, so the subject matter is potentially both interesting and intriguing. Whereas in better hands, we could have been treated to a sparkling rom-com or witty comedy of manners which entertained, at the same time as throwing some light on an important aspect of the human condition, instead we are subjected to this heavy-handed, leaden nonsense which fails at just about every conceivable level. It is so ineptly, unimaginatively, clumsily and badly handled that the film ends up having absolutely nothing of interest to say on its subject and does so in a completely charmless, unentertaining way. I bought my DVD in a charity shop, so at least my £1.50 went to a good cause, otherwise it would have been a complete waste of money. All the more surprising is that some fine and well known actors have somehow got themselves embroiled in what I can only describe as this complete and utter load of codswallop. If this is the sort of trite, unimaginative, charmless and ridiculous garbage that is being produced by the British film industry, then no wonder it's in trouble. I think I'd rather stick pins in my eyes than have to watch this rubbish again!

1.0 out of 5 stars Even if you haven't seen it, you've seen it before...., 14 April 2015
Yet another typically middle-class phoned-in rom-com (thin on the rom and thin on the com) - you know the type, published author marries girl who works for some city marketing agency, who subsequently falls in love the with rich, dashing, sometimes oafish and pushy, MILLIONAIRE (as per usual). Who said romance is dead?
Some good cameos fail to lift it as a whole, clumsy, contrived. If you're looking for originality, you won't find it here. The writer really needs to get out of his bubble and meet "normal" people. How did it even get made?

2.0 out of 5 stars ok, 12 July 2013
I didn't really like this movie it was too slow and didn't make a lot of sense about it and it would have been better with a lot more romantic style movie

2.0 out of 5 stars Dull beyond paint drying, 18 Oct. 2014
This review is from: I Give It a Year (Blu-ray)
Horribly cringey
Horribly predictable
Horribly bloody awful
I'd rather poke my own eyes out than watch a film like that again...

5.0 out of 5 stars It is so good I have passed around my office at work and ..., 15 Aug. 2014

I Give It A Year