Platform: Card|Edition: 12 Months|Change
Price:£44.95+ £3.99 shipping

TOP 100 REVIEWERon 16 December 2014
A bit of background info for you first...

Buying membership directly through your console using a credit/debit card is the most expensive way to pay for Xbox Live membership, Often it is full price at £39.99 for 12 months. If it's ever discounted then it usually comes with the caveat that you have to automatically renew the year after at full price. Be warned trying to get Xbox/ Microsoft to stop the second years payment and to remove your card details is one of the hardest things to do and i learnt that the hard way, so the best advise i can give is to avoid the direct payment through your console altogether!

Finally onto this product, for the past several years i have only ever renewed my subscription with a pre-paid code. WHY? They are usually cheaper and give me the security that Microsoft doesn't have my card details. First thing to note is that the price to renew your membership or indeed create a new one isn't as heavily discounted as much as it use to be. A year ago i managed to purchase 12 months membership from Amazon for £28 so that shows you how much these voucher codes have gone up in price. Today as i write this the standard price across the internet seems to be £35 for 12 months and i would strongly advise you pay no more than that, if you see it dearer then it has been hiked simply for the Christmas buying season!!!

This is NOT a digital code whereby they E-mail it to you, this comes on a card via the post to which you scratch off the silver on the back to reveal a code to type into your console (can also be redeemed through Xbox.com if you have set your account up)

Literally once you type the code in and confirm it your account linked to your "Gamer tag" is instantly credited with 12 months of Gold Membership which allows you to play online, chat with friends and indeed use many other services. This works for both Xbox 360 and Xbox One and you only need the one membership for both consoles.

Pros: At £2.91 a month you will struggle to find it cheaper anywhere else on the internet (certainly at time of writing this) * Very easy to redeem the code

Cons: It's no coincidence Gold membership has gone up in price, it went up around the time the Xbox One launched but it also seems to go up around Christmas time

VERDICT: If you own an Xbox 360 or Xbox One console then you will know that GOLD membership is mandatory to play online. At £35 it's cheaper than buying direct and gives you peace of mind that Microsoft don't have your card details. Beware of sellers charging a premium (and indeed the price on Amazon seems to jump up and down), pay no more than £35 and you will have a good deal!!

RECOMMENDED!!
55 comments|124 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 December 2015
Xbox Live Gold 12 Month Membership Card (Xbox One/360)
Arrived in good condition, we scratched the silver band and when tried the code it said "this code has already been used". Trying to send it back.
on 27 December 2015
Ordered for Christmas to find that the code have already been used even though the cover wasn't scratched off? Apparently this is a regular occurrence. VERY DISAPPOINTED!!
on 27 December 2015
Arrived today, scratched off panel to enter code only to be told code has already been used. Trying to get a refund.
on 19 April 2014
Cheaper than microsoft and very easy to set up bought for my sons birthday and hes over the moon .......
on 9 March 2016
Good value compared to paying by direct debit or other monthly subscription BUT beware, when I changed from paying monthly to using this one off pre paid card I was still charged by Microsoft for three months afterwards even though I had cancelled the monthly subscription (they said their records had "not updated"). I also suffered a corrupt Xbox live profile shortly after using this which took almost a week to fix and get my data back for 3 of my games including my Fallout 4 data which I almost lost. I kind of wish I had just kept paying the extra and kept it coming out of my bank each month because I never had any problems with Xbox live or my Xbox 1 console until I changed and now I've had a bunch of issues all since cancelling the monthly payments. Unusual coincidence? Maybe, but doubtful.
on 1 January 2016
bought as a Christmas present for my son, scratched off the silver strip and code already used!!!!!!! Hugely disappointed as his membership has expired and he is now unable to play his games with his friends - this is not acceptable.
on 20 January 2016
Bought this for my son for his christmas as he has been asking for gold for a long time. He was delighted as it means when it is too cold or wet to play out he can still play with his friends.
on 22 February 2016
Not amused !! I have just got off the phone with Microsoft who tell me that the code on the card was used on Christmas day. This was the day before my son physically received the card from his grandmother as a Christmas gift. I only scratched and revealed the access code yesterday to find that it was already registered. Isn't it funny how amazon are even hiding all the contact us details so we can't complain. I am now stuck trying to raise a grievance with Amazon for a gift that is worthless.
on 28 March 2014
Xbox live allows you to access lots of different features normal Xbox won't let you access, brilliant product and cheapest I could find it