I purchased FTM 2014 direct from Ancestry as an existing subscriber.

There are three distinct groups of people who would consider buying this product:
1. Owners of a previous version who are subscribers to Ancestry and wish to extend their subscriptions for six months at the lowest possible cost.
2. Owners of a previous version who are hoping for...
Published 8 months ago by Derek Jones

3.0 out of 5 stars Family Tree Maker 2014
I have only had a few hours on the new 2014 Family Tree Maker. I bought on line at the FTM Site.

The 6 monthly free premium membership is worth about 52 on its own. The package includes CD and includes
283 pages "Companion Guide" written in small print.

Published 8 months ago by Mr. A. Williams

4.0 out of 5 stars A program for those who value the six months' free subscription to Ancestry, 14 Nov 2013
Derek Jones - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Family Tree Maker Platinum - 2014 Edition (PC) (CD-ROM)
I purchased FTM 2014 direct from Ancestry as an existing subscriber.

2. Owners of a previous version who are hoping for improvements in this latest version.
3. People new to genealogy looking for a program to help them.

I belong to the first group. Premium membership of Ancestry normally costs 12.95 per month so this package with six months' subscription is therefore a very cheap way of extending Ancestry membership.

People in the second group will be much less satisfied, for there are tweaks to the program rather than a major overhaul, though there were no problems in setting up the software or integrating it with my existing tree. The main difference in the 2014 version is that one has the option of Family View in addition to Pedigree View - just as one has on the Ancestry website. The interface has been improved marginally and in addition one can now export an individual branch of one's tree. However, these are relatively minor changes and would not justify upgrading to FTM 2014 unless one values the six months' Ancestry membership. There are supposed to be improvements to the charts but I can detect no real difference. It was anyway unlikely that there would have been major improvements in this area because Ancestry wishes to continue to sell its charting software programs as extra add-ons. Buying this new version only for impovements in functionality would be a waste of money.

I believe that Family Tree Maker may be a good buy for those in the third group - people embarking on genealogy as a new hobby. It is, of course, possible to purchase perfectly adequate software for a fraction of the price of this product and if one is seeking only to create a tree from existing knowledge then it would certainly be better to buy a cheaper program. The merit of the Platinum version of Family Tree Maker is that it includes six months' Premium membership of Ancestry, and a subscription to one of the genealogy websites is, I believe, important for serious genealogical research. The Premium membership that comes with this Platinum version offers very much more than the Essentials membership attached to the Deluxe version and is much better value. I have 2,000 individuals on my family tree. I could not possibly have achieved that without Premium membership of Ancestry - or an equivalent membership on one of the other genealogy websites. Finally, a big plus for FTM 2014 with a subscription to the Ancestry website is that one can invite family and friends to view one's online tree as either guests, contributors or editors. No subscription is needed. It makes it possible for creating a family tree to become a collaborative effort.

3.0 out of 5 stars Family Tree Maker 2014, 13 Nov 2013
Mr. A. Williams (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Family Tree Maker Platinum - 2014 Edition (PC) (CD-ROM)

283 pages "Companion Guide" written in small print.

It is compatible with Windows XP - Vista- Window 7 & 8 either with 32 of 64 bit compatible.
Apart from a few cosmetic differences I cannot see much difference between versions 2012 & 2014.

5.0 out of 5 stars Family Secrets will out!, 3 Jan 2014
G.W.P. "woodpecker" (Lancashire, England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Family Tree Maker Platinum - 2014 Edition (PC) (CD-ROM)
FTM 2014 is the best of a long line of FTM's. It will allow you to build your Family Tree to the degree of accuracy and depth and width you desire. Unfortunately, it will also allow you to embark on flights of fancy and bouts of wishful thinking the result of which is a total waste of time and loads of mal-information floating around the web.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to upgrade, 22 Dec 2013
This review is from: Family Tree Maker Platinum - 2014 Edition (PC) (CD-ROM)
Building on Derek Jones review which I found really helpful.
I was really concerned about upgrading from FTM 2012 as I am sure would anyone who has spent hours producing their family tree especially given some people's reported problems.
Well I have to say it was a breeze so thank you Avanquest and Ancestry.
A few points that I found hard to clarify before going for it.
FTM2014 installs completely separately from FTM2012 so you can retain your old tree in this software in parallel to your new tree.
When you install FTM 2014 it automatically upgrades itself before you can use it, I suspect getting rid of some of those initial issues, so make sure you are connected to the internet.
When it opens your current tree it has to convert it to its new format, but it does ask you if you want to keep the old version and save the new one with a new name. I'd definitely go for this approach then you can still open your old tree with your old version.
Finally if your tree is linked to Ancestry to synchronise, FTM2014 will detect that and ask if you would like to swap this to your new tree, I said yes and everything worked fine.
If you now open your old tree in the old version of software it is still there locally but no longer linked to Ancestry.com. I guess if you really wanted to you could re-upload this as a different name although not sure why you would want to.
Totally agree with Derek Jones' views on why you would do this, the best bit is the 6 months premium. Changes in the software indeed seem limited from FTM2012, the tree view is useful and when opening media the mouse wheel now zooms (little things please!). Other than that all looks much the same.
After upgrading as far as I can see all my notes and place co-ordinates that had been changed are intact.

1.0 out of 5 stars Won't Install...Caveat Emptor, 2 Jan 2014
Amazon Customer (on one of the Two Worlds) - See all my reviews
I ordered this as a download because I'm impatient and didn't want to wait for delivery (More fool me).
It downloaded easily enough but the installer kept crashing.
Amazon did give me a refund, but I don't think I'll be ordering any more downloads as in the small print software downloads are excluded from returns - a potentially expensive situation!
In the end I've kept my Family Tree Maker 2012 and spent the money on an Ancestry subscription.

1.0 out of 5 stars BE VERY CAREFUL!!!, 6 Dec 2013
This review is from: Family Tree Maker Platinum - 2014 Edition (PC) (CD-ROM)
I purchased this product over a month ago and am still trying to get it to work.

It will not permit me to `register and it will not connect to my Ancestry subscription and therefore the vital `web-search' and `places' functions are inoperable. These flaws render it utterly useless as a safe and reliable research resource.

I have spent hours on the telephone with the help desk and tried scores of suggested `fixes' to no avail. I have also had my PC checked out by a specialist company who have declared this to be a software problem peculiar to the 2014 upgrade.

The `experts' in the help centre have finally admitted defeat and have advised me to go back to using the 2012 version. Trouble is (AND THIS IS WHERE YOU SHOULD BE VERY CAREFUL BEFORE PURCHASING) my data has now been converted into a form that will only convert back to the old 2011 version of Family Tree Maker and not the 2012 version that I previously used.! As I no longer have FTM 2011 on my PC I have been utterly snookered.

The Customer Service people have advised me to go and ask their sister company for a refund (they seem unwilling to do this themselves for me) leaving me with the hassle of producing the evidence to justify this! They have offered no suggestion at all about what I might do next, now they have stranded me in this hopeless position.

4.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive programme with good links to Ancestry, 14 Mar 2014
This review is from: Family Tree Maker Platinum - 2014 Edition (PC) (CD-ROM)
I had been researching my family tree for some time and had developed an on line tree. This did not have any tree printing facility and so I looked for a programme to run on my home computer. I chose Family tree maker because not only did it have a good write but also have subscription to Ancestry. The programme installed without problems and I loaded up the geod with out any real problems. I did find that a few people were born in 4000 BC but this was because some of the dates did not have spacing between day and month and so this was easily corrected. The links to Ancestry were very good and I quickly added several new relatives.

Some times it is easy to forget whether you are on Ancestry or your home computer.

I have found at times the programme will freeze up but this is easily remedied by shutting it down and restarting. No data is lost. This does not happen all that often.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wow! So many facilities available with Family Tree Maker, 5 Feb 2014
This review is from: Family Tree Maker Platinum - 2014 Edition (PC) (CD-ROM)
I had been using the Generations program for over 12 years now, and had been very pleased with it, but decided to try Family Tree Maker because of the good reviews. Initially I was a little concerned because I couldn't get this program to do what my original program could do, and didn't get much help from the help line, but after some perseverance, I found what I wanted, in particular being able to sort on married names as well as surnames. I also found out how to customise charts. Some people have critisised the handbook that comes with this program, but all of the information is there once you have read the small print!

I have transferred over 3000 names by using a gedcom file, and have been impressed with how much information has actually been transferred. I am also impressed with the facilities that had not been available on my original program, in particular the spell checker and much easier way to find a particular person's name!

Once I am happy that I have transferred everything correctly, I am looking forward to uploading parts of my tree onto Ancestry.co.uk and then creating a book (or books for different parts of my family tree) to send to other family members.

Another interesting fact with Family Tree Maker is that you get 6 months free membership to Ancestry.co.uk and, if you are already a member, your current membership automatically gets extended by 6 months!

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Dissapointed !, 10 May 2014
This review is from: Family Tree Maker Platinum - 2014 Edition (PC) (CD-ROM)
Having read all previous reviews I thought this would be straightforward to load software onto a fairly new PC .
However , BE WARNED - on loading you have to install the mandatory updates & this is where it has proved to be challenging as error messages straight away . Ancestry Technical Support advised me that this was quite a common problem with this software package ! & promptly emailed me several links for me in 4 steps to try & get it uninstalled & then reinstalled ! No success & just frustration . Cannot believe that ths software is on the market with so many issues - it is not Fit For Purpose - I should have heeded Hendys review in Dec ! The 6 months Ancestry subscription covers the cost paid out but I still do NOT have the software package on my PC for my Family Tree which defeats the objective of buying this in the 1 st instance !

1.0 out of 5 stars required upgrade for this product, 17 Feb 2014
If you perform the required upgrade the program vanishes and I had to purchase the disc version at a doubling of the proper cost of this product. At least with the disc version you can uninstall and load again.

I should have had a refund !!!!!

but complaint was ignored

Family Tree Maker Platinum - 2014 Edition (PC)
Family Tree Maker Platinum - 2014 Edition (PC) by Avanquest Software (Windows 7 / 8 / Vista)
49.99